ATI overvolt tool for 5970 default voltage?

Stayfr0sty

Gawd
This is weird, I just got my RMAed card back and am tinkering around.
When I open the ATI overvolt tool this this card its defaulting at max vcore, but GPUZ is reporting 1.00 as default.
Also If I try and switch it to default voltage through the tool, it doesnt save it, if I reboot it goes back to max voltage which is not even what GPUZ is reporting.
Any ideas?

check it in afterburner maybe? maybe some one modified the original bios before RMA'ing it and they couldn't find anything wrong with it so they repackaged it as a refurb for RMA's.

I dont touch afterburner, was giving too many issue in the past with other cards.

ATI overvolt utility tool is designed specifically for the 5970, which is why I think this is a weird issue.
You are right on the refurb though, this card is most likely a refurb. GPUZ reports subvender as simply ATI instead of Diamond like it should.

yeah if its showing up as ATI i have a good feeling that isn't the original bios then.. my guess is that they changed the voltage so they didn't have to keep setting it in afterburner when they were having issues with the voltage not changing on boot(was eventually fixed in afterburner).

more then likely they picked up the bios from here and modified it but it looks like all the 5970's have the exact same bios but heres the link if you want to download it.

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/71408/Diamond.HD5970.1024.091023.html you can also grab the bios from your card with GPU-z and compare the two to see if they actually did change anything.

I dont really want to mess with bios, this thing doesnt have a switch like my old 6950 does.
Id rather not risk it. I dunno well see. I was already at techpowerup looking up bioses and im not sure which one i have or what to flash to. Of course assuming I go through the whole procedure. In fact if they did change bios I think its an ati default reference bios. GPUZ is reporting subvendor simply as ATI not Diamond like it should.

I overclocked my old 5970 through the roof, 1ghz on each core, it was killer. Can you bump up the voltage and have it autoload with windows once you are stable and satisfied? Only downside was i ran the fan at 70% which gets crankin'

Back