PC350s - Need for an amp?

tangokilla

Weaksauce
I've been using PC350s for quite some time now and I was satisfied with the sound (no amp and onboard real tek). However, a buddy of mine told me that I need to get an amp as it drastically improves the sound quality. Recommended this one, http://www.amazon.com/Kilimanjaro2-...=UTF8&qid=1432429335&sr=1-3&keywords=fiio+amp

Now, I've done some research and I've got multiple answers. Some say since the impedance is 150, an amp is necessary. Some say a good soundcard is necessary. And finally, some say both an amp and soundcard are a must for this headset.

So, let me ask you, do I need an amp?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Man, I was reading and asking and reading and asking for almost 2 years about headphones, and amps, and everything else. Some will tell you yes, some no. I ended up buying a pair of Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros and a FiiO E09K amp that everyone liked, knowing that if I didn't think it was worth keeping, I could return the amp worry free. I tried them on my realtek onboard and they sounded really nice, then I tried them on the amp, and the extra juice made them sound that much more rich and vibrant, I'm extremely happy I got the amp, even though they're 16Ohm and technically didn't *need* the amp, having the added oomph and volume was night and day to me.

I hope this helps somewhat.

I'd say trust your ears. If you're satisfied, then that can be the end of the story. If you're feeling adventurous, as suggested above, try one out from a store with a good return policy (Amazon) and let us know how it goes.

With my HD555's, similar to the PC350's I believe, going from onboard Realtek to an X-Fi was actually a pretty big step up- not even sure why.

Haven't bothered with an amp yet; I'd most likely go with one of FiiO's DAC/AMP solutions though.

Back