Skylake -k confirmed for August/September

Yeah, but I'm not buying unless the upgrade is worthwhile. Hopefully we get a good IPC jump and nice clock overhead.

Also, a leaked list of ASUS z170/H170 boards showed up on BenchLife (chinese).

Here's the list:

ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
ASUS Z170-A
ASUS Z170-Deluxe
ASUS Z170-G
ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming
ASUS Z170-K
ASUS Z170M-E
ASUS Z170-P
ASUS Z170-Pro
ASUS Sabertooth Z170
ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme
ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
ASUS Maximus Hero
ASUS H170 Pro Gaming
ASUS H170-I Plus
ASUS H170M-E
ASUS H170M-Plus
ASUS H170-Plus
ASUS H110H4-TM
ASUS H110i-Plus
ASUS H110M-C

- Parts with 'M' by the chipset are microATX, and parts with 'I' by the chipset are miniITX.

Link: http://benchlife.info/asus-z170-h170-and-h110-motherboard-leak-05212015/

I'm waiting for Skylake-E, Pascal, and PCI-E 4.0 for my next platform upgrade.

And after that you wait for Cannonlake...
With DirectX 12 you even need less CPU power than you need now.

I mainly want the extra PCI-E lanes available for NVMe drives and multiple video cards this go-around. My platform usually only gets an upgrade every 5-6 years.

I mainly want the extra PCI-E lanes available for NVMe drives and multiple video cards this go-around. My platform usually only gets an upgrade every 5-6 years.

Same here. Combined with USB3.1 support, it's going to be a massive upgrade from my ancient X2 555. NVMe goodness!

I'm getting really torn on when to upgrade my IB. Jump on SKL, or wait for CNL? I'll probably wait for CNL. There is also Zen that AMD claims will have 40% more IPC and lower power consumption over Vishera. If it restores AMD to having the best bang for the buck, then I may switch back to an AMD platform. *shrug*

An LLAPI that gets down closer to the silicon, such as DX12 or Vulkan, is going to make utilization go up. Having a more powerful CPU will provide a larger positive experience.

Does anyone know what the maximum RAM amount will be for Skylake? I'm assuming 64 GB, but 128 GB would be nice.

Also, with FIVR removed and Intel going back to solder for Skylake, we should see some impressive overclocks.

Possibly September? Geez, this cycle has become really ridiculous. Was really hoping for a July release as was last rumored. Been really needing a new comp but hate the idea of building a brand new one on a platform that is already at the end and has been at the end a year longer than planned.

This means Broadwell will have a pretty short shelf life before people "upgrade" again.
No reason to really have both at the same time so Broadwell will be out for around 3 months.

Im guessing my 5820k at 4.5ghz / 3000mhz quad channel memory and soon, 980 ti SLI's will keep me comfy for the next 18 months

Also, with FIVR removed and Intel going back to solder for Skylake, we should see some impressive overclocks.

This is the most exciting aspect for me personally. I won't be one of the initial buyers, but I will be hitting all the forums to see what everyone's results are. Depending on how that plays out, I may be tempted enough to upgrade just for the tinkering aspect alone.

What kind of performacne gain you expect from Skylake-E/PCI-E 4.0 comparing to Broadwell-E/PCI-E 3.0? Pascal is not depending on Skylake.

Whaaat? What I hear is that CPU will be critical since DX 12 has support for full multicore multithreading. Especially SLI will gain a lot from matched CPU.

I mainly want the extra PCI-E lanes available for NVMe drives and multiple video cards this go-around.

Even now if you buy mobo with PLX chips there is plenty of PCI-E lanes.

Great news as this is mostly what I had been waiting for to upgrade. My wife and server both need upgrades so finally building myself a new PC also upgrades all the other. Now I just need to figure out if I go with 390X or move back to team green...

OK, now they have my attention.

I still think FIVR had little to do with the problem. Instead the issue was mostly due the the 22nm tri-gate silicon not being better than 32nm silicon at 4+GHz. Hopefully 14nm fixes otherwise I see the a lot of the same for years to come.

Lucky for me, I want to upgrade late September/ early October.
Should have lots of MBs and reviews out at that time.

Whaaat? What I hear is that CPU will be critical since DX 12 has support for full multicore multithreading. Especially SLI will gain a lot from matched CPU.

DX12 will allow developers to utilize the CPU better and get more out of it. I think the confusion comes from taking existing games. If to take an existing game and do nothing to it except port it over to DX12, it's entirely possible and likely that CPU usage will go down. But that's not really what's going to happen, or if it does it will just be short term. It won't be long before developers leverage the benefits of DX12 by making more complex games, which brings CPU utilization right back up again.

I'm building a new skylake HTPC to replace my old Z77 based system. Might also build a Skylake gaming rig. Have to see how it goes.

that will be nice, but there is merit to not waiting for the next best thing because you'll always be waiting for rev 2.0 of something and never building a system. Pascal has some really neat features rumored. Nvidia's take on HBM should be cool.

I still think FIVR had little to do with the problem. Instead the issue was mostly due the the 22nm tri-gate silicon not being better than 32nm silicon at 4+GHz. Hopefully 14nm fixes otherwise I see the a lot of the same for years to come.

Interesting. I've heard arguments from both sides regarding the FIVR and its role in localized heat production -- but the final verdict will be the real world overclock tests. What I am hoping is that the 14nm process has been refined and that Intel worked through all the kinks with Broadwell so that Skylake doesn't suffer from the problems of early adoption of 14nm lithography.

But in the end, the benchmarks and overclock reports will be the final say concerning Skylake.

/I want to believe

Not a troll post (I'm not up to speed on this) but any guesses on how this platform will compare to a 5960x/X99 setup (see sig)

Not a troll post (I'm not up to speed on this) but any guesses on how this platform will compare to a 5960x/X99 setup (see sig)

The mainstream Skylake platform won't have any 6 or 8 core parts, so definitely not worth upgrading from X99.

My platform usually only gets an upgrade every 5-6 years.

I find this is the most economical (but not [H]) way of doing it too; buy the fastest CPU possible - drop in a new GPU when required.

My patience is wearing a bit thin with my old Phenom x4 955 and the AM3 mounting bracket; although it's great in the cold months =D

If the Anandtech bench is accurate swapping out the Phenom for a i5 4690K / i7 4790K equivalent should be a massive 3x speed boost. A few USB3 ports at last wouldn't hurt either. =\

I'm not adverse to the idea of T designated parts either - I don't know what they're like in practice.

As long as it's not a pile of crap like Prescott with it's RDRAM....ugh...urk...*think happy thoughts*

Silverstone FT05 case...solid state drive...16+GB ram....*ah much better*....

Last edited:
I've been wanting to ditch my 2600k @ 4800mhz but everytime they release a new CPU there hasn't been a reason for me yet. I'm running 2 980s in sli and it still tears everything up at 2560x1440 on my Rog Swift. Will try to hold out for Pascal most likely and whatever Intel is doing at that time to build around it.

I personally don't see it happening in this time frame unless Intel pulls off a miracle with getting the quadcore yields up on the 14nm process..

The fact that Intel announced quadcore Broadwell parts months ago and yet they aren't shipping in any sort of volume, and the fact that Apple was forced to stick with Haswell for their refresh should tell you something..

^^^
Yeah, Aug/Sept will be here before we know it. Not feeling this one's going to hit that target. Not sure if I care, either, lol. I've got so many other large-ticket upgrades happening around that timeframe too. My Haswell rigs are still smokin fast.

The fact that Broadwell-E is delayed should tell you a lot about how much confidence is placed in 14nm right now. Mind you a new or even newish design complicates things still further, but on a known chip and known design (Broadwell) with the only new factor being the shrink, they can't put out the 6 cores just how much faith does one take that a 4 core new chip design is all that up to snuff? I'm not really advocating the 6 cores but simply saying that knowing the high end "old" chips work on 14nm goes a long way to believing the 4 core 14nm chips are of the same quality. And I don't think this will be September from the way it looks so far.

So are those actual benchmarks or just synthetic guesstimates? If they're legit, the 6700Ks a pretty good step up. A lot more than 5%. Decent step up from my 4770K. Wonder how that thing will OC?

I personally don't see it happening in this time frame unless Intel pulls off a miracle with getting the quadcore yields up on the 14nm process..

The fact that Intel announced quadcore Broadwell parts months ago and yet they aren't shipping in any sort of volume, and the fact that Apple was forced to stick with Haswell for their refresh should tell you something..

Reports were saying that Apple was skipping Broadwell and going with Skylake for many applications.

I don't game at all. BUT I do edit Video for a living.

So should I wait for Skylake or should I just go ahead and upgrade now? I can absolutely wait until Sept / Oct if it will mean a huge benefit to Video / Photoshop work.

Thanks
Ryan G

Wait until Skylake comes out. If the ~15% overall increase over Haswell plus real solder under the IHS turn out to be true, then you'll be glad you waited.

Back