HDD fitness

carlmart

Gawd
I usually check my HDDs with Speedfan, which has S.M.A.R.T. inside.

It gives a series of measurements, but the most important of all are the percentages down below, which tell you the fitness and the overall performance of the drive.

Today I made a check, and found that my external HDD, a 2.5" WD WD10JPVT got zero in fitness and 95% in performance. I thought there might be a mistake, so I took it out of the ********** box it was housed in and connected it directly to the PC. Same results.

It just confirms my distrust with external HDD boxes, which seem to make the HDD live shorter lives than when they are inside the PC. My internal PCs now last longer, and I believe running cooler, because of the fans I usually provide for them, had a part in that. Am I right?

Anyway, zero fitness indicates the HDD is going to die soon, right? Is there anything I can do to solve that? It seems unusual that performance is so high and fitness so low.

I'm already providing another HDD to copy what's in the 2.5", this time on a 3.5".

get a decent enclosure with a fan :/ SMART will tell you if the temp is too high and if it never triggered a warning temp in SMART than it didn't fail/failing because of heat.

Well, this was considered a better enclosure.

http://www.amazon.com/**********-25...id=1432153770&sr=1-2&keywords=**********+2595

And so was the other where I had a similar problem with another 2.5" HDD. AFAIK none of them carries a fan, as they are designed to be powered by a laptop.

I recently bought a WD Passport, and no fan either.

Maybe the 2.5" HDDs that get here (Brazil) are lower quality.

In any case, you're right on one point: I will doubly check the temp on the external HDDs.

My PC is on 24/7, but Windows 7 seems to turn the internal HDDs on when it's going to use them only. That is not the case with the external HDD, and maybe that's the issue.

I totally agree with the external drives not lasting as long because of the hotter enclosure. Only hard drive i ever had fail was in an external shitty enclosures . lol my western digital raid is at least 6 years running and scored 100/100 on that speedfan test.
Thanks for the tip about speedfan btw...i never knew it had such a nice smart check report

Oldest hard drives in my system (6 years old) get this....kinda funny really but there were enterprise grade and always been in a cool case so not to surprising

Capture_zpslqixnget.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I referred to a hotter enclosure for the 2.5" drives.

But on the 3.5" cases, which did have internal fans and I had some HDDs dying with them, I think the problem was the power supply.

It's quite likely that external multi-HDD boxes, with proper supplies and high prices, do not have such problems.

I also asked if there was something I could do to recover the 2.5" HDD, which HDD tool you recommend to check and eventually repair it, if it can be repaired.

OK. Help me understand what might have happened and what is happening with this HDD.

I reformatted the HDD, and I tried two ways: normal and quick.

The slow one didn't work, as it stuck in about 10% or so. So I tried quick format, which did work.

Then scanned for errors and found none.

Then I did a new S.M.A.R.T check, and this time I got 99% fitness and 90% performance.

So how should I take these readings, and what else should I check?

I referred to a hotter enclosure for the 2.5" drives.

But on the 3.5" cases, which did have internal fans and I had some HDDs dying with them, I think the problem was the power supply.

It's quite likely that external multi-HDD boxes, with proper supplies and high prices, do not have such problems.

I also asked if there was something I could do to recover the 2.5" HDD, which HDD tool you recommend to check and eventually repair it, if it can be repaired.

I am not aware of any way to software fix hard drives, aside from making sure they have correct firmware. Matter of fact only fix i have ever even heard of is swapping out the circuit board which i have yet to do. My drive that went bad i ended up getting it replaced by the retailer.;)

One thing I found intriguing that I read yesterday, when looking for formatting large HDDs, was disks alignment, which I wasn't aware of such a thing.

Apparently this is a critical issue in large HDDs, but may also benefit less large ones too.

It did correct with software, but I think I will look for this question again and get back here.

In the meantime, I still do not know what to think if this "revived" HDD, as I described above.

I think HDD quality has dropped big time since the floods 4/5 years ago.

I reckon the HDD companies cashed in by dropping the quality assurance levels to increase supply (those that would have been borderline near fails were shipped instead of scrapped) whilst at its price peak and then thought they could get away with those lower tolerances going forward.

I reformatted the HDD, and I tried two ways: normal and quick.

The slow one didn't work, as it stuck in about 10% or so. So I tried quick format, which did work.

The quick format only writes on the blocks that contain the file system structure, and will not be aware of problems on the rest of the drive. A normal (or full) format writes zeros to all sectors to check for bad blocks. When it encounters bad blocks, it may take a long time to get past the bad part of the drive. A 1TB drive such as yours should take a couple of hours to format, but may take much longer if it has a lot of bad blocks. If it's still going when you come back the next day, you should just toss the drive because it's dead.

So you say I should use full format instead and see what happens?

Does it matter whether I format it directly connected to the PC SATA or on the USB box?

So you say I should use full format instead and see what happens?

Yes. If it cannot complete a full format, then the drive is dead.

Does it matter whether I format it directly connected to the PC SATA or on the USB box?

Since it will probably take a long time to work through the bad blocks (if it can) then the coolest situation would be best, so put it in the PC. It will most likely appear to get stuck at 10% again; that's when it will be dealing with the bad blocks. You should start the full format at a time when you can leave it running overnight. If it still hasn't finished after 10 or 12 hours, give up on it.

Before you do the full format, take note of the raw value of the Reallocated Sector Count in SMART. Since you've already had it do a partial full format, this number will probably not be zero. If it manages to complete the full format, take note of the new value of Reallocated Sector Count, and do yet another full format. If the number of reallocated sectors is very large or continues to grow, it's time to retire the drive.

Just to be clear: a drive that cannot complete a full format is not a useable drive. When you get a new HDD, the first thing you should do is take note of the Reallocated Sector Count in SMART, do a full format, and check to see if that value has increased. If it has, RMA it immediately.

OK, that looks like good advice and I will try to do it. on my next drives. Now only if anyone fails.

I was also told to use HDD Regenerator. Have you tried it?

I was also told to use HDD Regenerator. Have you tried it?

Haven't heard of it before. Looks like it attempts to let you keep data on the drive while finding bad blocks. It's a snake-oil product, because if your drive is developing bad blocks, you should not be attempting to fix it, you should be replacing it. If you have irreplaceable or valuable data on the drive that is being lost to bad blocks, you should let professionals charge you an arm and a leg to recover the data and ask yourself why you didn't have a backup.

Haven't heard of it before. Looks like it attempts to let you keep data on the drive while finding bad blocks. It's a snake-oil product, because if your drive is developing bad blocks, you should not be attempting to fix it, you should be replacing it. If you have irreplaceable or valuable data on the drive that is being lost to bad blocks, you should let professionals charge you an arm and a leg to recover the data and ask yourself why you didn't have a backup.

Well us middle class and lower class people can use the snake oil method and live and learn. Not everyone knows about bit rot. You have to learn about it at some point (or bad sectors). I just learned about bit rot like 1 month ago :/ That's why i am now building a win server system with that special file system. Ignorance is a bitch but fixable...willful ignorance is a different thing.

Well, first of all there should be a way to check on HDDs and see when they are going to fail, and backup immediately. Speedfan could be used for that. Checking regularly, maybe once a week.

I'm trying to find a way to use one of my PCIe slots to put a SATA card, as on this mobo I only have 4 SATA sockets. To check on this 2.5" HDD I would have to unplug one of my HDDs, so it will have to wait a little.

My past mobo had 6 sockets, and I should move ASAP to a Z97 mobo with 8 sockets. In the meantime I try to do what I can. Pity now I untrust external HDDs, which were handy until now. But I don't want to destroy my HDDs with them, so I will plug them only when I need them.

Uncomfortable situation indeed. Any alternatives you may suggest?

BTW i have the asrock emtreme6 and its running nicely and it was only 160 or something and has every bell and whistle. Remember August Skymont comes out so thats only 2-3 months out so you might wnat to do a full upgrade (i am :)

I just use flash drives personally.

The rated speeds are bullshit but i get 100-150MBps in actual trasnfers. 60-100MBps when your coping those crappy system files that makes most HDD and usb sticks drop to 1-10MBps. It was slightly faster in reads than my old sandisk extreme pro 64GB but 3x faster at least in writes. I don't have my HDD in my computer yet that has my benchmarks so i can't post them.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226459

The other option is this. When i get more cash and prives drop on M.2 i am building this :p
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

This assume 240-500GB is sufficient and you don't need TBs

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Unfortunately, yes, I need lots of Tbs, so SSDs are out for that.

Of course I use a Samsung 500Gb SSD as my C.

The other unfortunate fact is that I do not live in the US, so those ASRock prices you mention are not for me. I missed the chance to bring an Asus Z97 on my recent trip to California, but I was already bringing a laptop, so I left the mobo and new CPU for next.

When I got home found out my Giga Z77 was nor working anymore, so for now I'm stuck with a minor Asus mobo.

That Startech is very expensive over here.

Another thing I will need is a cable adaptor, because my free PCIe slot it's just below the GPU card fan, which extends over the slot. The PCIe card will have to be plugged on it.

Not the best of options indeed, but the only one I have.

The other PCIe slot I have is used by a 1394 card I need.

^^^ These are great. But buy it directly from newegg (Rosewill is a newegg brand). CCEX052215 for 10% of fnew few days... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173042

I have a few of these, and they work wonderfully. I've used them with WD drives and I have yet to have a failure after 5+ years of use (in working environments with regular air temps from freezing to 130F+). Lots of sand and dirt, but the fan never complained. Kept them alive and cool (well, cool enough to survive). I got them just after they came out on "sale" for $55, and it was money well spent. I've purchased several since then for myself and others.

I don't know of any good selections for 2.5" drives though. 2.5" are convenient, but they just aren't reliable. They are too fragile. I have had lots, and they are all dead... every single one. I've only had a few external drives fail (seagates are crap and just fail, but others only failed from me dropping them while on.. whoops).

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I started by downloading the Seagate Seatools for Windows.

It listed all the drives on my computer at the moment, and the first test I tried is the Short DST.

The WD in question did pass this test and was approved. I will still do a normal format in it.

The one that was reproved was my 3TB Sragate, which I had recently re-arranged to one partition only. Got a reproval on that same test, and I think it's past RMA time. It was getting 42% on Fitness and Performance, and the warning was about this:

"WARNING : your hard disk High Fly Writes attribute current value (91) is below the normal range (95 - 100) reported for your specific hard disk model. The hard disk monitors the distance between the head and the plates. When it deviates from specifications, a possibly bad write could happen. The hard disk logic updates this attribute counter and applies some counter-measures (tries to rewrite, reallocates the sector...). High temperatures and vibrations can influence this attribute."

The weird thing is that it was a backup HDD. not installed on my PC. I put it back to copy what was on the 1Tb WD. First I copied all the stuff that was on it to the 4Tb Seagate,

Then I eliminated the partitions it had and made just one. Then reformatted it in Quick Format. What I do not remember is if I put it through SMART before copying back things on it. I should have.

So now I was getting ready to reformat it in Normal, by copying what's on it on another 2Tb HDD. What I wonder is if it's worth reformatting the 3Tb. It's become unreliable for me, I think.

Overnight I will proceed to normal format it, taking note of the Reallocated Sector Count before and after formatting, and see what I get.

For now I'm concerned on being able to copy back all the data I put into it.

OK. I take back, for now, what I said before.

I was using Seatool while I was copying from one HDD to another one, and it reproved BOTH drives, which I found strange.

So I remade the test after the copy, and Short DST was approved on both.

Now I will complete transferring, so overnight I can normal format the 3Tb, and see what happens.

You should do what hammersandwich said - post the smart raw data.

In my experience WD drives often develop 'bad sectors' that are actually failed writes or writes that took too long and they're fixable using WD's diagnostic tools - using a 'full scan' or 'long test'.
When this happens, the firmware bumps the 'current pending sectors' and/or 'uncorrectable Sector Count' from 0 (It should be zero. a Value of non-zero usually means stuttering and hangs).
Now, usually, performing a full drive surface scan (with a tool like MHDD or WDs own stuff) and power cycling the computer causes the above mentioned SMART counters to either:
a) return to normal (0) and the drive works normally for years
b) pending sectors are zeroed but 'reallocated event count' goes non-zero (up). Bad sign. If this happens like once every few days/weeks then the drive might be dying.

The best way to do it is with the drive directly connected to a PC.
A USB adapter is just another confusing variable. The USB wires can fail, special ATA commands might get dropped by the USB bridge...

High fly writes can cause Uncorrectable Pending Sectors but they're not a problem in itself IMHO.

Anyway the above info is WD specific.

OK, how do I do to upload the SMART raw data, as I don't know how to put an image here.

I need to learn this HDD thing and know how to behave.

Well, rhytmical stuttering and prolonged unexplainable freezes in Windows, especially during filesystem traversal is a good indicator of HDD problems.

Crystaldiskinfo is a user friendly utility that will display SMART data and interpret them for you in a more useful way than just a percentage bar with the label 'fitness'.
It will mark those parameters that are drifting out of spec.

In any case, no single medium can be 100% trusted. All you need to 'know' about hard drives is that they fail and you need regular offsite backups, end of.

As for your drive, if you could just fill in the following blanks it'd be fine:
Re-allocated Sector Count
Relocation Event Count
Current Pending Sector Count
Off-line Scan Uncorrectable Sector Count
Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate <- this one goes non-zero usually when your wiring is faulty.

Well, I didn't have those problems you described. What is filesystem traversal?

I will try Crystaldiskinfo and see what I get. The problem is I accumulated lots of film video files in the last few years, when many old stuff was released in HD. And I didn't even had the time to see it all yet.

What I usually do, after I see something, is either delete it or transfer it to DVD-DL, downsizing it to 8GB @ 1080p.

Many people in forums insist that I should transfer it all to HDD, that is more reliable and all that, but my experience as you see is just the opposite.

I may have a problem with one DVD or another, but the they have proved very reliable when I play them again. If an HDD breaks down I may lose hundreds of films. The math seems undeniable.

Or else I should do several backups of each HDD. With the present multi-TB HDDs that might be an option, but I see them as backup for the DVDs, not HDDs.

Maybe when we get to large, affordable SSDs, we may think of a different option. But that might take saveral years more.

I just mentioned stuttering and the like in case you might have observed it lately and misinterpret it. What I meant by filesystem traversal is simply roaming around folders :)

Like if you were editing a file in photoshop, and the power went out, there's a possibility that the next time you try to enter that folder your computer would freeze for a split second. Events like that affect this composite 'fitness' benchmark.

There's still a chance your optical media would disintegrate in your drive. You just need something like a tiered backup strategy. Like, get a cheap 750 or 2tb hard drive and an enclosure or a combo, preferably USB 3.0 ready, and use some piece of software that updates the mirror copy of your main stuff. I'd keep that in a separate place, like encrypt it and just keep it in your car :D

The occasional optical disc is good for supplementing, but you still need one daily copy offsite.

Also, keep in mind that having the hard drive inside the case connected to a 'real' controller is simply saner. Data integrity-wise.

So can you post those numbers I mentioned if you could we'll see what happened.

Right now I'm formatting the 3Tb HDD and will hopefully start showing what numbers I get from SMART.

On the WD I will try their own diagnostics, and also format it normally overnight.

The formatting on the 3Tb seems to be going faster than I expected, which gives me some hope.

Right now I made some numbers on my mind, and I probably have about 8Tb of data that I need to see and then do something about it.

It's strange, but I my experience with optical data, which I started in 2009, has proven more promising than any HDDs. Are you sure you are not exaggerating on the optical media or that their life might be longer?

While it's running, you can periodically check your system's event logs for hard drive incidents.

I'm not saying one's better than the other.

If they can fail, they eventually will.
A distributed, versioned strategy saved 6 years of my photos when my 7200.11 just stopped responsing one day.

OK, after normal formatting the 3Tb, the data I got from SMART was this:

Re-allocated Sector Count 100
Relocation Event Count n/a
Current Pending Sector Count 100
Off-line Scan Uncorrectable Sector Count 100
Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate 200

Same on CrystalDisk.

But on Smart continues to say 42% for fitness and performance.

Can I trust this drive and put data on it?

That looks like the 'Current' (left-most in CrystalDiskInfo) column, correct?

Sorry I wasn't more precise - the 'raw' column (third one) is what we need.

However, since they are at '100' I wouldn't expect the 'raw' ones to be out of spec.
Still, post them if you can.

If you can't make a screenshot of crystaldiskinfo, then use the 'edit' -> 'copy' feature in it,and paste the data to something like http://pastebin.com/

Edit out any details you'd like to keep private like the serial number of the Hard Drive.

7200.11 was a Seagate family of large capacity drives that had a nasty bug causing them to randomly die.
There's a fix nowadays but back then I thanked myself for making backups on opticals beforehand.

In my case, I simply duplicated my discs and kept them all over the place.
I wouldn't trust no single medium to hold everything - no need to put all your eggs in one basket :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskInfo 6.3.2 Shizuku Edition (C) 2008-2015 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/

Date : 2015/05/27 7:23:34

-- Controller Map ----------------------------------------------------------
+ ATA Channel 0 (0) [ATA]
- Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB ATA Device
+ ATA Channel 1 (1) [ATA]
- ST3000DM001-9YN166 ATA Device
+ ATA Channel 4 (4) [ATA]
- ST4000VX000-1F4168 ATA Device
+ ATA Channel 5 (5) [ATA]
- ATAPI iHAS120 6 ATA Device
+ Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 1C02 [ATA]
- ATA Channel 0 (0)
- ATA Channel 1 (1)
- ATA Channel 4 (4)
- ATA Channel 5 (5)

-- Disk List ---------------------------------------------------------------
(1) Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB : 500,1 GB [0/0/0, pd1] - sg
(2) ST3000DM001-9YN166 : 3000,5 GB [1/1/0, pd1] - st
(3) ST4000VX000-1F4168 : 4000,7 GB [2/2/0, pd1] - st

(1) Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
Model : Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
Firmware : EXT0CB6Q
Serial Number : ***************
Disk Size : 500,1 GB (8,4/137,4/500,1/500,1)
Buffer Size : Desconhecido
Queue Depth : 32
# of Sectors : 976773168
Rotation Rate : ---- (SSD)
Interface : Serial ATA
Major Version : ACS-2
Minor Version : ATA8-ACS version 4c
Transfer Mode : SATA/300 | SATA/600
Power On Hours : 858 horas
Power On Count : 110 vezes
Host Writes : 1056 GB
Wear Level Count : 1
Temperature : 31 C (87 F)
Health Status : Saudável (100 %)
Features : S.M.A.R.T., 48bit LBA, NCQ, TRIM
APM Level : ----
AAM Level : ----

-- S.M.A.R.T. --------------------------------------------------------------
ID Cur Wor Thr RawValues(6) Attribute Name
05 100 100 _10 000000000000 Reallocated Sector Count
09 _99 _99 __0 00000000035A Power-on Hours
0C _99 _99 __0 00000000006E Power-on Count
B1 _99 _99 __0 000000000001 Wear Leveling Count
B3 100 100 _10 000000000000 Used Reserved Block Count (Total)
B5 100 100 _10 000000000000 Program Fail Count (Total)
B6 100 100 _10 000000000000 Erase Fail Count (Total)
B7 100 100 _10 000000000000 Runtime Bad Block (Total)
BB 100 100 __0 000000000000 Uncorrectable Error Count
BE _69 _50 __0 00000000001F Airflow Temperature
C3 200 200 __0 000000000000 ECC Error Rate
C7 100 100 __0 000000000000 CRC Error Count
EB _99 _99 __0 00000000003C POR Recovery Count
F1 _99 _99 __0 00008411FC15 Total LBA Written

-- IDENTIFY_DEVICE ---------------------------------------------------------
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
000: 0040 3FFF C837 0010 0000 0000 003F 0000 0000 0000
010: FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF 2020
020: 0000 0000 0000 4558 5430 4342 3651 5361 6D73 756E
030: 6720 5353 4420 3834 3020 4556 4F20 3530 3047 4220
040: 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 8001 4001 2F00
050: 4000 0200 0200 0007 3FFF 0010 003F FC10 00FB 0101
060: FFFF 0FFF 0000 0007 0003 0078 0078 0078 0078 0F10
070: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 001F 850E 0044 006C 0060
080: 03FC 0039 746B 7D01 4163 7469 BC01 4163 017F 0001
090: 0004 0000 FFFE 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
100: 6030 3A38 0000 0000 0000 0008 4000 0000 5002 5388
110: A076 93A5 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 401E
120: 401C 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0029 0000
130: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
140: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
150: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
160: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0001
170: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
180: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
190: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
200: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 003D 0000 0000 4000
210: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0001 0000 0000
220: 0000 0000 107F 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
230: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0800 0000 0000 0000 0000
240: 0000 0000 0000 4000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
250: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 7FA5

-- SMART_READ_DATA ---------------------------------------------------------
+0 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5 +6 +7 +8 +9 +A +B +C +D +E +F
000: 01 00 05 33 00 64 64 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 09 32
010: 00 63 63 5A 03 00 00 00 00 00 0C 32 00 63 63 6E
020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 B1 13 00 63 63 01 00 00 00 00
030: 00 00 B3 13 00 64 64 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 B5 32
040: 00 64 64 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 B6 32 00 64 64 00
050: 00 00 00 00 00 00 B7 13 00 64 64 00 00 00 00 00
060: 00 00 BB 32 00 64 64 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 BE 32
070: 00 45 32 1F 00 00 00 00 00 00 C3 1A 00 C8 C8 00
080: 00 00 00 00 00 00 C7 3E 00 64 64 00 00 00 00 00
090: 00 00 EB 12 00 63 63 3C 00 00 00 00 00 00 F1 32
0A0: 00 63 63 15 FC 11 84 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0C0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
100: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
110: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
120: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
130: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
140: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
150: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
160: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 C8 19 00 53
170: 03 00 01 00 02 6E 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
180: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
190: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
1A0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
1B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
1C0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
1D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
1E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
1F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 7A

-- SMART_READ_THRESHOLD ----------------------------------------------------
000: 01 00 05 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 09 00
010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00 00
020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 B1 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
030: 00 00 B3 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 B5 0A
040: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 B6 0A 00 00 00 00
050: 00 00 00 00 00 00 B7 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
060: 00 00 BB 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 BE 00
070: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 C3 00 00 00 00 00
080: 00 00 00 00 00 00 C7 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
090: 00 00 EB 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 F1 00
0A0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0C0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
160: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
170: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
1F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 4E

(2) ST3000DM001-9YN166
Model : ST3000DM001-9YN166
Firmware : CC4B
Serial Number : ********
Disk Size : 3000,5 GB (8,4/137,4/3000,5/3000,5)
# of Sectors : 5860533168
Rotation Rate : 7200 RPM
Major Version : ATA8-ACS
Minor Version : ATA8-ACS version 4
Power On Hours : 9842 horas
Power On Count : 142 vezes
Temperature : 29 C (84 F)
Health Status : Saudável
Features : S.M.A.R.T., APM, 48bit LBA, NCQ
APM Level : 8080h [ON]

01 119 _99 __6 00000DF037E8 Read Error Rate
03 _92 _92 __0 000000000000 Spin-Up Time
04 _99 _99 _20 0000000006DF Start/Stop Count
05 100 100 _36 000000000000 Reallocated Sectors Count
07 _44 _41 _30 00760032E963 Seek Error Rate
09 _89 _89 __0 000000002672 Power-On Hours
0A 100 100 _97 000000000000 Spin Retry Count
0C 100 100 _20 00000000008E Device Power Cycle Count
B7 100 100 __0 000000000000 Vendor Specific
B8 100 100 _99 000000000000 End-to-End Error
BB 100 100 __0 000000000000 Reported Uncorrectable Errors
BC 100 _57 __0 007900B700B7 Command Timeout
BD _90 _90 __0 00000000000A High Fly Writes
BE _71 _52 _45 0000221A001D Airflow Temperature
BF 100 100 __0 000000000000 G-Sense Error Rate
C0 100 100 __0 000000000039 Power-off Retract Count
C1 _97 _97 __0 0000000017C6 Load/Unload Cycle Count
C2 _29 _48 __0 00180000001D Temperature
C5 100 100 __0 000000000000 Current Pending Sector Count
C6 100 100 __0 000000000000 Uncorrectable Sector Count
C7 200 200 __0 000000000000 UltraDMA CRC Error Count
F0 100 253 __0 D8900000024B Head Flying Hours
F1 100 253 __0 B533A4123828 Total Host Writes
F2 100 253 __0 D4E1DD733D03 Total Host Reads

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
000: 0C5A 3FFF C837 0010 0000 0000 003F 0000 0000 0000
010: FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF 324E
020: 0000 0000 0004 4343 3442 2020 2020 5354 3330 3030
030: 444D 3030 312D 3959 4E31 3636 2020 2020 2020 2020
040: 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 8010 4000 2F00
050: 4000 0200 0200 0007 3FFF 0010 003F FC10 00FB 0110
060: FFFF 0FFF 0000 0007 0003 0078 0078 0078 0078 0000
070: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 001F 850E 0004 004C 0040
080: 01F0 0029 346B 7D09 4163 3469 BC09 4163 017F 009F
090: 009F 8080 FFFE 0000 D000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
100: A3B0 5D50 0001 0000 0000 0000 6003 0000 5000 C500
110: 5373 AACA 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 401E
120: 401C 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0029 A3B0
130: 5D50 A3B0 5D50 2020 0002 0140 0100 5000 3C06 3C0A
140: 0000 003C 0000 0008 0000 0000 007F 0280 0000 0000
150: 0008 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 5800 89E0
160: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
200: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 3085 0000 0000 4000
210: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 1C20 0000 0000
220: 0000 0000 1020 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
230: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
240: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
250: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 70A5

000: 0A 00 01 0F 00 77 63 E8 37 F0 0D 00 00 00 03 03
010: 00 5C 5C 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 32 00 63 63 DF
020: 06 00 00 00 00 00 05 33 00 64 64 00 00 00 00 00
030: 00 00 07 0F 00 2C 29 63 E9 32 00 76 00 00 09 32
040: 00 59 59 72 26 00 00 00 00 00 0A 13 00 64 64 00
050: 00 00 00 00 00 00 0C 32 00 64 64 8E 00 00 00 00
060: 00 00 B7 32 00 64 64 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 B8 32
070: 00 64 64 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 BB 32 00 64 64 00
080: 00 00 00 00 00 00 BC 32 00 64 39 B7 00 B7 00 79
090: 00 00 BD 3A 00 5A 5A 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 BE 22
0A0: 00 47 34 1D 00 1A 22 00 00 00 BF 32 00 64 64 00
0B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 C0 32 00 64 64 39 00 00 00 00
0C0: 00 00 C1 32 00 61 61 C6 17 00 00 00 00 00 C2 22
0D0: 00 1D 30 1D 00 00 00 18 00 00 C5 12 00 64 64 00
0E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 C6 10 00 64 64 00 00 00 00 00
0F0: 00 00 C7 3E 00 C8 C8 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 F0 00
100: 00 64 FD 4B 02 00 00 90 D8 16 F1 00 00 64 FD 28
110: 38 12 A4 33 B5 53 F2 00 00 64 FD 03 3D 73 DD E1
120: D4 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
160: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 3F 02 00 73
170: 03 00 01 00 01 FF 02 4C 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
180: 00 00 00 00 48 00 00 00 02 08 08 08 08 08 08 08
190: 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00
1A0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1E 06 66 AA 4A 20 00 00
1B0: 00 00 00 00 01 00 75 3D 28 38 12 A4 33 B5 53 00
1C0: 03 3D 73 DD E1 D4 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
1D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 D3 17 00 00 33 00 14 00
1E0: 00 00 00 00 18 D9 01 00 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 10
1F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 7E

000: 01 00 01 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 00
010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 14 00 00 00 00
020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 24 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
030: 00 00 07 1E 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 09 00
040: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 61 00 00 00 00
050: 00 00 00 00 00 00 0C 14 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
060: 00 00 B7 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 B8 63
070: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 BB 00 00 00 00 00
080: 00 00 00 00 00 00 BC 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
090: 00 00 BD 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 BE 2D
0A0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 BF 00 00 00 00 00
0B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 C0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0C0: 00 00 C1 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 C2 00
0D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 C5 00 00 00 00 00
0E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 C6 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0F0: 00 00 C7 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 F0 00
100: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 F1 00 00 00 00 00
110: 00 00 00 00 00 00 F2 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
1F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 E3

(3) ST4000VX000-1F4168
Model : ST4000VX000-1F4168
Firmware : CV13
Serial Number : ********
Disk Size : 4000,7 GB (8,4/137,4/4000,7/4000,7)
# of Sectors : 7814037168
Rotation Rate : 5900 RPM
Major Version : ACS-2
Minor Version : ACS-3 Revision 3b
Power On Hours : 497 horas
Power On Count : 18 vezes
Temperature : 28 C (82 F)
Health Status : Saudável
Features : S.M.A.R.T., 48bit LBA, NCQ
APM Level : ----

01 114 _99 __6 000003C7DA20 Read Error Rate
03 _95 _93 __0 000000000000 Spin-Up Time
04 100 100 _20 0000000000B1 Start/Stop Count
05 100 100 _10 000000000000 Reallocated Sectors Count
07 _52 _52 _30 000600131991 Seek Error Rate
09 100 100 __0 0000000001F1 Power-On Hours
0A 100 100 _97 000000000000 Spin Retry Count
0C 100 100 _20 000000000012 Device Power Cycle Count
B8 100 100 _99 000000000000 End-to-End Error
BB 100 100 __0 000000000000 Reported Uncorrectable Errors
BC 100 100 __0 000000000000 Command Timeout
BD 100 100 __0 000000000000 High Fly Writes
BE _72 _57 _45 00001F18001C Airflow Temperature
BF 100 100 __0 000000000000 G-Sense Error Rate
C0 100 100 __0 000000000006 Power-off Retract Count
C1 100 100 __0 0000000000B1 Load/Unload Cycle Count
C2 _28 _43 __0 00180000001C Temperature
C5 100 100 __0 000000000000 Current Pending Sector Count
C6 100 100 __0 000000000000 Uncorrectable Sector Count
C7 200 200 __0 000000000000 UltraDMA CRC Error Count

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
000: 0C5A 3FFF C837 0010 0000 0000 003F 0000 0000 0000
010: FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF 5056
020: 0000 0000 0004 4356 3133 2020 2020 5354 3430 3030
030: 5658 3030 302D 3146 3431 3638 2020 2020 2020 2020
040: 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 8010 4000 2F00
050: 4000 0200 0200 0007 3FFF 0010 003F FC10 00FB 0110
060: FFFF 0FFF 0000 0007 0003 0078 0078 0078 0078 0000
070: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 001F 850E 0004 004C 0040
080: 03F0 001F 346B 7D61 4133 3469 BC41 4133 017F 00F3
090: 00F3 0000 FFFE 0000 8080 1000 0000 0000 2710 0000
100: BEB0 D1C0 0001 0000 0000 0000 6003 0000 5000 C500
110: 7AF6 0CA8 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 409E
120: 409C 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0029 BEB0
130: D1C0 BEB0 D1C0 2020 0002 0140 0100 5000 3C06 3C0A
140: 0000 003C 0000 0008 0000 0000 05FF 0280 0000 0000
150: 0008 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 7000 8008
160: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0002 0000
200: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 10B9 0000 0000 4000
210: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 170C 0000 0000
220: 0000 0000 107E 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
230: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
240: 0000 0000 0000 0003 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
250: 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0DA5

000: 0A 00 01 0F 00 72 63 20 DA C7 03 00 00 00 03 03
010: 00 5F 5D 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 32 00 64 64 B1
020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 33 00 64 64 00 00 00 00 00
030: 00 00 07 0F 00 34 34 91 19 13 00 06 00 00 09 32
040: 00 64 64 F1 01 00 00 00 00 00 0A 13 00 64 64 00
050: 00 00 00 00 00 00 0C 32 00 64 64 12 00 00 00 00
060: 00 00 B8 32 00 64 64 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 BB 32
070: 00 64 64 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 BC 32 00 64 64 00
080: 00 00 00 00 00 00 BD 3A 00 64 64 00 00 00 00 00
090: 00 00 BE 22 00 48 39 1C 00 18 1F 00 00 00 BF 32
0A0: 00 64 64 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 C0 32 00 64 64 06
0B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 C1 32 00 64 64 B1 00 00 00 00
0C0: 00 00 C2 22 00 1C 2B 1C 00 00 00 18 00 00 C5 12
0D0: 00 64 64 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 C6 10 00 64 64 00
0E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 C7 3E 00 C8 C8 00 00 00 00 00
160: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 82 00 75 00 00 7B
170: 03 00 01 00 01 FF 02 F9 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
180: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 07 07 09 07 07 00
190: 07 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00
1A0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FC 82 C6 4A A1 01 00 00
1B0: 00 00 00 00 01 00 5C 13 DC D0 4E BD 02 00 00 00
1C0: C4 29 D1 F1 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
1D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 2D 07 00 00 01 00 00 00
1F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 14 14 00 00 00 FE

000: 01 00 01 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 00
010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 14 00 00 00 00
020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
030: 00 00 07 1E 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 09 00
040: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 61 00 00 00 00
050: 00 00 00 00 00 00 0C 14 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
060: 00 00 B8 63 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 BB 00
070: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 BC 00 00 00 00 00
080: 00 00 00 00 00 00 BD 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
090: 00 00 BE 2D 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 BF 00
0A0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 C0 00 00 00 00 00
0B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 C1 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0C0: 00 00 C2 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 C5 00
0D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 C6 00 00 00 00 00
0E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 C7 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
1F0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 87

Looks fine to me.

However, to stay on the safe side, I would test it anyway for at least a day using some tool that writes a specific pattern to the drive, reads it back and compares.

Bart's Stuff Test is a neat little tool to do so. It will create a very large file on the drive and write to it, so make sure the 3TB disk is preferably empty.

Linky to the tool: http://www.nu2.nu/download.php?sFile=bst514.zip

Also, there are two kinds of people in the world: the ones who make backups and the ones who will :D

Run the program click 'bst5' (blue icon with a white 'B'), and in the 'Path:' box you can type in the letter of the drive you wish to test. "c:\" is set by default. You can change this to - for example - 'e:\' if that's your 3TB drive.
And just click the 'start' button in the bottom of the program window. It should start printing out statistics like speed and how much percent has been done.
If a write or read error occurs the program will probably inform you.
You might also notice odd stuttering, hard drive clicking sounds, freezes...

Let it run for a day or so.

Back