What is the technology that allows flashlight to shine a mountain?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
there are "brand" names Heider, Streamlight Pro Tac2L, E2D Executive Defender, Fenix TK35, etc.

http://supertorch.com/en/heider-cf1

can you really have a light that powerful?

and yet at ebay,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000LM-CREE...266?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2a4f4e5d9a

another ad. that shows a flash light shines a building, for $5 of Buy It Now

are all these real?

As I need a powerful flashlight to get in dark spot when fixing PC, I would be pleasantly surprise that there is a flashlight that can shine an entire PC

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, that's what happens when you replace 150-year-old incandescent technology running at 10% efficiency with modern LEDs that exceed 90% efficiency.

Those pics are just a wee bit exaggerated. LED flashlights are really nice though.

Even the led flashlights you can get from Harbor Freight with a buy something get a free something coupon would be way way way more than you need to just look inside a dark spot in a computer.

I have about 15 or so of them. I buy a lot from Harbor Freight :p

Okay guys, say you are under a desk, and there is virtually no light. ANd you need to shine the entire PC or say you drop something on the floor, how many Luman do you need?

Then there is this ebay bid about this Boruit brand, which is a generic china brand. I can't find a website stating the actual Lumen. But look at the main diagram, it looks like he's saying when the light is in a small circle, you get 1600 LM, when it's in a big circle, you get less

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1600LM-XM-L...121?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item5b10da6901

and I found this guy at 4000 LM, is that too bright? and they don't have the dimension

http://www.lightmalls.com/ultrafire...flashlight-torch-camping-hiking-light-2-18650

Last edited:
XML T6 is Cree's model number of the bulb. Your first link is to the Ultrafire E17, while your second link is to the Ultrafire WF504B. They are two completely different products. The E17 is a fake product being sold by many sites, including amazon.

evilsofa, thank you. I don't know much about these products

what about this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391124773121?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

it has a "brand" call Boruit, but I can't find a website w/ that name. And somehow the battery is by Ultrafire.

and the only Real model I found is Fenix PD35, but I would like to know how much LM is needed, say you're under a desk w/ no light, looking into a PC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291037396773?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

but I would like to know how much LM is needed, say you're under a desk w/ no light, looking into a PC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291037396773?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
That's dependent on your eyes as well (some people really can't see well in the dark), the placement of the PC itself (whether it's at an angle, something is covering it, etc), and where you actually place the light. For myself, my Nexus 5's built-in light is more than enough light for me to work under a desk with no light looking into a PC that's not being blocked at all once I find the right place to put the phone.

http://www.lightmalls.com/ultrafire...flashlight-torch-camping-hiking-light-2-18650

The above people finally get back to me on the dimension: it is 21.3 *6.5* 3.2cm

It "claims" to be 4000 LM, but from a chinese website, I don't know if I can trust their fairy tales

So in the end, I narrow down to Fenix, but their price is $80. The above is $28, how would you guys decide upon something like this?

also, Is Fenix a brand that you can trust? And it's 960 LM, I assume that is bright enough

Okay, what's the Luxman value of your Nexus 5's?

I believe the N5 LED puts out around 65 lumens, but it's limited to a very small range. A flat LED simply doesn't have the optics/reflector required to focus the light out to a distance beyond a few meters.

If I were to make you a recommendation, it would be for a Fenix E12. They're about $25 online, take a single AA, and are extremely bright and throw light a decent enough distance for anything from working on PC's in the dark to hiking. They'll put out 130 lumens on maximum (they have several modes) and will throw light over 300ft. I bought two of those for my in laws this Christmas and they couldn't believe how bright they were for their size.

Similarly, if you need something a bit more powerful, I myself use the Fenix LD22, which is about $50 and uses 2 AA's, but puts out around 215 lumens. It's stupid bright and throws light pretty far. It's perfect for when I go for a walk in the woods during the winter with my dog where there's not a light in sight for miles.

I have quite a few flashlights and use them often. What I have found is ones like you can get at Sams club with the thee AAA cells to run it are pretty cheap and sometimes have bad color. I bought a small 1 AA Nitecore flashlight that I really like (MT1A) and carry it every day. It is a 180 lumen light and has a good white color. Many of the others tended to be in the bluer ranges and were harder to see with. I have the 2AA (MT2A) version of this light on the nightstand and it it works perfect as well.

One feature I really like with the Nitecores and really many of the led lights now is the dim light feature. Sometimes the light is just too bright and you can turn the bezel a little to get a much dimmer but very usable amount of light. I dont use the strobe much but its handy if your looking at something moving like a fan blade.

Overall I think for general purpose work the Nitecore MT1A or MT2A is the way to go.

To get back to your question the lens they use helps give the flashlight more throw. Think of it like a laser vs a floodlight. It has a purpose but for the most part up close you will want to find a light that has a plain clear lens with a good reflector. Adding a lens that shapes the light like that isnt always the best thing.

Last edited:
Just get a cheapo LED flashlight from harborfreight. They are plenty bright for what you want.. in fact they will give you way more light than you need.

No sense in buying a flashlight that is going to be so bright that is it going to burn your retinas from the reflected light from whatever computer parts you shine it on.

I have a Fenix LD41 520 lumen flashlight and a cheap Costco LED one that is supposedly 3 watt Cree (which is probably blatant false advertising) and the Fenix is a HELL of a lot brighter.

Why? I don't know.

But it's also much better built, durable. No matter how many times I drop it, it's fine and it's survived being submerged in water for significant durations of time (I dropped/lost it at one point).

Personally I am glad that I have a quality, non-throwaway flashlight. If I had lost it and not found it, I'd have been out a lot of extra money, but as long as I don't lose it again, I think the money was well-spent.

That said, Fenix, like most, is made in China. It may be higher quality than most of the Chinese stuff, but it does bother me.

If you want it for working on a computer you don't want the lumens too high. I have a pencil light from Fenix and if it shines right into the computer it is actually too bright to see anything well. Just get anything generic with a CREE blub and try it out.

If you want it for working on a computer you don't want the lumens too high. I have a pencil light from Fenix and if it shines right into the computer it is actually too bright to see anything well. Just get anything generic with a CREE blub and try it out.

My LD41 has like 4 brightness settings which are easy to change (so it would work well for PCs on the lowest setting), but for just working on PCs, it's definitely overkill. For just PC work the cheapie Costco one I have is perfectly fine.

But does it shine in 1 spot of the motherboard? What would you recommend for a light that cover the entire PC?

But does it shine in 1 spot of the motherboard? What would you recommend for a light that cover the entire PC?

I've never really had an issue with a flashlight being too bright in one spot for PC work...

I haven't used this but based on the description and reviews, this $20 flashlight will probably be a decent option: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QSV8BKQ?psc=1

get one that says "wide beam" or "flood" or something.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
http://www.zebralight.com/SC52Fw-L2-AA-Floody-Flashlight-Neutral-White_p_145.html

This is way overkill, but if you want a really nice, high quality LED light that is perfect for inspecting PC interiors or any kind of close-up work with a smooth/floody beam, then this is it. I own several Zebralights models and they are all exceptional. The output/tint/performance and features are all top notch. There's a HUGE difference between this light and a cheap Chinese Bargain bin LED light.

Something to "shine" an entire mountain? I believe its called light painting... here is an example:
astrophotography-light-painting-delicate-arch-utah-arches-national-park.jpg

Essentially its a picture with keeping the shutter open to capture more light. You can shine up an entire mountain with a small penlight if you have the time...and wherewithal to do so.

I recently got this from my local Target:

coast_HX5_flashlight_zpsblxyubmz.jpg

Which offers pretty much the same features except water proofing. Though it does offer flood-to-spot slide focus.

To be honest, you are comparing a Camry to a Corvette and saying that they are basically the same because they both have 4 wheels.

Google some of the reviews for the Zebralight. It's rated at almost twice as many lumens out the front as the light you are comparing it with while being smaller, more rugged, having a more versatile interface (many more modes - programmable), and is driven by a much more sophisticated digitally driven circuit. It also offers a much higher quality LED (Cree XM-L2) as well.

Not knocking the Coast LED flashlight - it's much cheaper and it also pumps out light to get the job done, but you really are comparing two lights with VERY different capabilities/features, performance and build quality and then saying that they are pretty much the same...

ZLSC52.jpg

Here are a few reviews of the Zebralight SC52:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzIz-7HA44w
www.everydaycommentary.com/2013/09/zebralight-sc52w-review.html
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFyQ9jrExNc
www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/1ch4oj/zebralight_sc52_unboxing_and_quarter_year_review/

Last edited:
To be honest, you are comparing a Camry to a Corvette and saying that they are basically the same because they both have 4 wheels.

Not knocking the Coast LED flashlight - it's much cheaper and it also pumps out light to get the job done, but you really are comparing two lights with VERY different capabilities/features, performance and build quality and then saying that they are pretty much the same...

Agreed though, this Camry is rated at ~345 LM when turbo'd with a 14500Li. ;)

The op may want to try Costco for some bright LED flashlights. I've used both the Duracel 300 Lumen Three Pack and the 1000 Lumen 4 D battery flashlight. And those are definitely good enough for lighting up a pc, not to mention being $20. Though the 3 packs are hit and miss.

I don't even use flashlights in the traditional sense anymore. If I need a light to just illuminate something I use my phone. For all cases where I would need a flashlight I use a headlamp. These LED headlamps sure look stupid but damn its convenient and cheap to have both hands free and for fixing a PC which the OP asks about you dont need 2000 lumens lol. Once I got a headlamp I pretty much never touched the flashlight under any circumstance ever again. The only way I would find them useful is for scanning a tree line or some other far away large space.

Agreed though, this Camry is rated at ~345 LM when turbo'd with a 14500Li. ;)

Yes, but still firmly in Camry territory. The Zebralight with a 14500 battery is rated at 535 LM. ;)

It'll also run for 3 months straight (24/7) on 1 battery in its lowest output mode...

Many of the higher-end design, performance and tech features the Zebralight brings to the table an average user just isn't considering - especially given the cost. That's why I mentioned overkill previously. BUT, once you get and experience a higher end light like this and the versatility/features it offers, it's becomes really, really hard to go back or settle for less.

Last edited:
Does anyone knows if Fenix PD35 gives warm light or cool light? Personally I prefer warm light

I have another need for a flash light, this is what happens: at night time, when I have to drive to see a client, sometimes the GPS fails or the GPS has no battery left. So I have to rely on a map. The cheap 40 LM flashlight or the car light is not remotely bright enough.

On top of that, I need a flash light that can shine to the street sign while I'm in my car, so I can see what the name of the road is. Sometimes the high beam just don't get to the road sign.

Adding the above requirement, on top of viewing the inside of a PC, what would you use?

Having said that, the Fenix is $77, so around the same price as the Zebra, and I have heard of the Fenix, but not the Zebra. I am a believer of high quality, I rather pay more $ to get it right the 1st time, than getting something half ass. But what I like the most on this Fenix, is that it c/w a recharger and a rechargable battery

from the spec. of the Zebra SC52, it says hi is 246LM. Now, at that video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFyQ9jrExNc

it looks like he light up the whole back yard w/ the high mode. Is that what 246 LM can do? It seems the brightness is a lot more than 246 LM. In other words, 246 LM can't do that much on that video (the brightness on the snow at the backyard portion)

by contrast, this is the review of the Fenix PD35, at the end of the video, is when he shines to the open area of outdoor, what do you guys think compare the brightness of this Fenix vs. the brightness of Zebra? Supposedly, based on number, the Fenix should be brighter. But it looks the other way from the 2 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrtmOTi38l4

Supercharged_Z06, what brand do you use?

Last edited:
Based on the fact you'd like something for difficult electronics work, I have the feeling all you have to achieve lux-wise is about 100, really.
I'd go for the widest angle (I mean field of vision) possible.
Might avoid blue and blueish colours like cold white, because eyes are more sensitive to greenish and reddish (warm) colours.
Also do you really want to have to hold it? find something like a steady-standing vertical lamp, or perhaps something wearable.
As for your question about illuminating signs - I'm not sure that'd be legal. I've never been to the US or UK so I don't really know the legal stuff. But technically you would emit a directed strong source of light off into the dark, possibly distracting other drivers.

Does anyone knows if Fenix PD35 gives warm light or cool light? Personally I prefer warm light

I have another need for a flash light, this is what happens: at night time, when I have to drive to see a client, sometimes the GPS fails or the GPS has no battery left. So I have to rely on a map. The cheap 40 LM flashlight or the car light is not remotely bright enough.

On top of that, I need a flash light that can shine to the street sign while I'm in my car, so I can see what the name of the road is. Sometimes the high beam just don't get to the road sign.

Adding the above requirement, on top of viewing the inside of a PC, what would you use?

Having said that, the Fenix is $77, so around the same price as the Zebra, and I have heard of the Fenix, but not the Zebra. I am a believer of high quality, I rather pay more $ to get it right the 1st time, than getting something half ass. But what I like the most on this Fenix, is that it c/w a recharger and a rechargable battery

from the spec. of the Zebra SC52, it says hi is 246LM. Now, at that video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFyQ9jrExNc

it looks like he light up the whole back yard w/ the high mode. Is that what 246 LM can do? It seems the brightness is a lot more than 246 LM. In other words, 246 LM can't do that much on that video (the brightness on the snow at the backyard portion)

by contrast, this is the review of the Fenix PD35, at the end of the video, is when he shines to the open area of outdoor, what do you guys think compare the brightness of this Fenix vs. the brightness of Zebra? Supposedly, based on number, the Fenix should be brighter. But it looks the other way from the 2 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrtmOTi38l4

Supercharged_Z06, what brand do you use?

It really sounds like you want is an all-arounder when it comes to a flashlight. Something that can light up at distance but is also very good for close-in work.

Well, here is what I use for my one "goto" light that does it all: SC600w Mk II L2

It's pretty much the big brother of the SC52. It can really put out a HUGE wall of light in its highest mode, but also has a very wide/smooth beam and great tint. (It will easily light up an entire backyard) The neutral white tint is also great for color rendition and the large number of modes it provides lets you easily adapt its output for the specific task/need you may have at hand - whether you are doing up close work in a PC or need to light up a street sign at a distance. While it is a very floody light, it packs so much of a punch as to raw output (1000+ Lumens on high) that it seems more like a car headlight then a flashlight in that mode.

Note that if you want something with a LOT of reach, you are trading off good up-close illumination characteristics/performance for reach - you'll end up with a light with a very narrow beam and little spill - and an intense hotspot... which really sucks for close-in work.

The SC52 is a bit more practical when it comes to size, cost, and the single AA battery form factor it uses, but it is definitely more of a close-in light. The SC600 is a monster, but requires a 18650 battery, so there is that investment in batteries and a charger for it as well.

If you want it all in a single light, I'd say go for the SC600. The SC52 is a great alternative though, but it won't have the reach or the immense "wall of light" output that the SC600 is capable of.

Fenix makes some really nice lights as well, but most are designed to be "thowers" with narrow beams. Quality wise, I would rate Zebralights higher.

As with any tool - you get what you pay for. The SC600 L2 is pretty incredible - but then again it should be given its cost!

Here's a couple of reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcxV_1hoY5c
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?373895

Is SC600W or the SC52 for that matter, warm light or cool light? I assume the SC600W also c/w a battery strength indicator. I find out that Fenix doesn't have battery indicator and it's cool light

Now, SuperCharged_Z06, let me be very direct, is Zebra Light a common brand name? Because I have heard others mentioned Fenix, so when Fenix said their light is say 960 LM, I believe it to be 960 LM

Now as you have read from page 1 of this thread, some other brand fake their LM, 200 LM but labelled it as 400 LM. So can we trust Zebra light the same way people trust Fenix? As Zebra light don't even have a "About Us" page and their warranty is only 1 yr.

P.S. what is a "thowers"?

Zebralight sells cool white and neutral white models of just about all of their lights. (The neutral white lights are what I would consider "warm" and they all have a "W" in their model name.) The "warm" models typically sacrifices a few lumens of output for the warmer tint, but it's a very small tradeoff. They also sell "F" models that use frosted glass for a very even/uniform light - but it kills quite a bit of the output and is only useful for very close-in work where you would want no beam artifacts and very even lighting. If you want the absolute brightest output, stick to the cool white versions. (I prefer warm though.) Zebralight is reputable if that is what you are asking - they have been around since 2007. I've purchased quite a few of their lights over the years - own like 10 of them now, all various models. They also have a small Facebook page with a bit more info. Yes, they are a small company compared to Fenix, but they are based in Irving Texas (American owned/operated, with their lights designed here in the US, but manufactured in China.) Zebralights can also be purchased from many other distributors like Going Gear, E2 Field Gear, BrightGuy, LA Police Gear, illuminationgear, Night Owl Gear, and quite a few others on Amazon as well. Fenix is a much bigger company, but is Chinese owned/operated and based in China.

As for lumen ratings, yes, the ratings are legit and can be trusted. They are not overblown and they have been verified by many independent reviewers. If you visit the CPF forum, there's a guy on there that does many very thorough reviews called Selfbuilt. He also has a very nice review site here: http://www.flashlightreviews.ca/

And as to "thowers", that was just a typo - meant to say "throwers".

I literally have the identical LED light I got on amazon from slickdeals for $3.99.

It does shine bright at 40-75 yards, tiny beam though. Nothing comparable to my higher power Fenix,etc...

For $3-5 I use it all the time since it's tiny, and I picked up a handful for use around the house... watch SlickDeals.

there are "brand" names Heider, Streamlight Pro Tac2L, E2D Executive Defender, Fenix TK35, etc.

http://supertorch.com/en/heider-cf1

can you really have a light that powerful?

and yet at ebay,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000LM-CREE...266?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2a4f4e5d9a

another ad. that shows a flash light shines a building, for $5 of Buy It Now

are all these real?

As I need a powerful flashlight to get in dark spot when fixing PC, I would be pleasantly surprise that there is a flashlight that can shine an entire PC
I own 2 of these lights that picture is all perspective and photoshop...

don't get me wrong I suggest getting these as a emergency light but don't expect 3 miles of throw I would say about 150ft -250ft with the zoom mode on.

For working on computers or anything for that matter the FREE 27led work light from Harbor freight is great. Has a magnet and a hook so you can stick it or hang it any where. I have a few and they work great when I'm up in a ceiling running wires or working my on equipment rack I can just stick where I need and it light up the whole area with no issues. http://www.harborfreight.com/27-led-portable-worklightflashlight-62532.html

For a cheap/disposable type of a light option, something like the harbor freight light works, but there is a huge distinction here in your recommending a <$4 flashlight and what it does when it comes to light output, quality, features, etc. and what I've recommended. Like any tool, you can buy dirt cheap, but when it comes to high performance, design materials, dependability, capabilities, features, etc. there are folks that want and are willing to pay for something really nice. It's like comparing a bargain bin pocket folder that cost $5 with a Benchmade knife or a Home Depot "special" wrench set to something from Snap-on or Craftsman Pro.

Bottom line, a quality tool is going to cost. But if you are into disposable tools then by all means, go for cheap!

I own 2 of these lights that picture is all perspective and photoshop...

don't get me wrong I suggest getting these as a emergency light but don't expect 3 miles of throw I would say about 150ft -250ft with the zoom mode on.

that's an irony. I didn't know today's flashlight can do 150 ft. at all. And I never look for any flash light. But that link keep showing up at facebook ad., so I click it. And now I find out there is really such improvement on flashlight, I'll buy it. Just not from that co.

Back