Ubiquiti ERL - as a switch?

farscapesg1

2[H]4U
Quick question hopefully.

Just how much performance hit does the ERL take when running with the LAN ports in bridge mode? I understand that there is a performance hit because the router functions in software mode if configured as a bridge. This is for a home setup, not an office with dozens of users.

I'm about to order a Ubiquity AP and while I have a switch to connect it to, my grand scheme was to run the cable modem, router, and AP off a dedicated UPS for maximum uptime during a power outage.

I'm still on the fence about ordering a ERPOE-5 model to replace the ERL, but that will have to wait until I have a few more funds.

Would the telecom equipment stay active during power loss in your neighbor hood? My ISP drops everything but phone service when the power goes out where I'm at.

Generally.. yes. I'm not sure exactly how long, but for example we've been having more frequent short power outages (2-3 minutes in length). My work laptop is connected to my current wifi router, which are both on UPS as well as the cable modem. During those times that it happens and I'm connected to work through VPN, my internet connection never drops (using Comcast). It could be their equipment is in a hub on a different power section, or they've got battery backup/generator power running it, I'm not sure. We haven't had a long power outage (20+ minutes) to really determine if service remains up though.

if you already have a ERL why don't you get just a ubnt toughswitch to provide power to your AP's?

I currently have a edgemax poe and bridge port 1 and don't have any performance impacts that I notice. home use as well.

Well, for the time being I just ordered a Zyxel 1900-8 switch and a Ubiquiti LR AP. I'll put them both up in the master closet which is where all my network cabling goes and see how the coverage is with that. If coverage and performance meet my needs, I'll probably relocate my cable modem and ERL up there from my office also so it is all on the same UPS. Besides, I have no need for wireless in the office since everything in there is wired to a Cisco 3750G.

Unfortunately, the Toughswitch gets too pricey for the 8 port model that I would need (6 ports used on my current TPLink unmanaged switch).

I think the highest throughput you can achive while two of the ports are in bridge mode is around 200 - 250 Mb/sec. When I initially setup my ERL on my 1Gbps connection I had them in bridge mode and I believe that was the fastest it would go until I removed it.

240Mbps is the fastest I was able to achieve while the ports were bridged. Now I get well over that occasionally, but most servers can't deliver the content fast enough to me anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that info Skillz! Considering I'm still on a 50/6 Comcast connection, I won't be hitting 240Mbps anytime soon. Gives me something to think about while I'm waiting for the switch and AP I ordered to get here. If the AP coverage doesn't work (which I now realize was complete overkill, but the LR AP was only $15 more than the basic AP) then I may set it up to bridge the ports and if I ever get Google Fiber or the equivalent upgrade to the POE model.. or pick up a 5-8 port switch for the office area.

Back