1 in 7 People On Earth Use Facebook

HardOCP News

[H] News
I wonder what these numbers would look like with all the bots, fake accounts and dupe accounts removed from the mix? I'm thinking it's probably still a lot. ;)

We just passed an important milestone. For the first time ever, one billion people used Facebook in a single day. On Monday, 1 in 7 people on Earth used Facebook to connect with their friends and family. When we talk about our financials, we use average numbers, but this is different. This was the first time we reached this milestone, and it's just the beginning of connecting the whole world.

Don't use Facebook, I like my job, whatever job I have at the time.

Don't use Facebook, I like my job, whatever job I have at the time.

If only there were some way for us to use Facebook without sharing our idiotically offensive ideologies and psychotic zealotry with the rest of the world.

If only there were some way for us to use Facebook without sharing our idiotically offensive ideologies and psychotic zealotry with the rest of the world.

There is it's called common sense or education and hopefully one of those works or helps.

There is it's called common sense or education and hopefully one of those works or helps.

Because it hasn't helped yet, I think that common sense and education have already failed us for the most part. I mean seriously, just look at 3rd world US in the deep south with all those country rural people chewing tobacco and drinking themselves stupid all the time and tell me education helped them get someplace besides ranting about politics and accusing the Army during a training exercise as plotting to take their guns away.

Ive never been on face book, have no interest in it... shoot dont even know what it looks like...

got better time trashers to use ... like ah.. Skyrim

I mean seriously, just look at 3rd world US in the deep south with all those country rural people chewing tobacco and drinking themselves stupid all the time and tell me education helped them get someplace besides ranting about politics and accusing the Army during a training exercise as plotting to take their guns away.

What color are these people you discriminate against?

1/7 of whom that are citizens of People's Republic of China don't use Facebook, for that's the turf of Baidu and Sina Weibo.

My Facebook account is as boring as I can make it. I don't post pictures, I don't post when I'm going to be out of town, and I don't say anything about my religion or politics.

Anything posted on the internet is forever. Just figure that anything you post is going to be seen by your mother, your boss, and your kids. Oh, and if you ever get divorced, anything offensive will damn sure will be used against you.

What color are these people you discriminate against?

I don't live there anymore so I can't really do anything to discriminate against anybody nor would I want to. They're actively promoting a culture that encourages the idea of owning huge pickup trucks, calling people "ya'll" and watching cars drive around in a circle 500 times on a TV they can't afford which is pretty much self defeat. Besides that, in the past I've totally encouraged more socially advanced and culturally wealthy people from northern regions of the US to lend a helping hand in breaking those circles through effective educational enlightenment. I'm just not really sure it'll actually help until we take away the ability of individual states to make their own laws that are independent of and work against a superior centralist form of governance.

I don't live there anymore so I can't really do anything to discriminate against anybody nor would I want to. They're actively promoting a culture that encourages the idea of owning huge pickup trucks, calling people "ya'll" and watching cars drive around in a circle 500 times on a TV they can't afford which is pretty much self defeat. Besides that, in the past I've totally encouraged more socially advanced and culturally wealthy people from northern regions of the US to lend a helping hand in breaking those circles through effective educational enlightenment. I'm just not really sure it'll actually help until we take away the ability of individual states to make their own laws that are independent of and work against a superior centralist form of governance.

Personal request: please stay on topic. You have an endless number of places to discuss your political views. This is not one of those places. Thank you.

Couple weeks ago I called my mom to wish her happy birthday.
She was going on and on about how many people chimed in on FaceBook to say happy birthday to her. She read the names off, relatives, people she has seen in years, and then questions why I'm not on there.
I said "Mom, because I actually care enough to give you a phone call and talk to you". She paused for a moment and said "Well, thank you son."

:p

Because it hasn't helped yet, I think that common sense and education have already failed us for the most part. I mean seriously, just look at 3rd world US in the deep south with all those country rural people chewing tobacco and drinking themselves stupid all the time and tell me education helped them get someplace besides ranting about politics and accusing the Army during a training exercise as plotting to take their guns away.

I've got news for you. I've lived in the south, I've lived in the North, I've even lived out west. Ignorant country hick knows no borders.

So even in a thread about Facebook, you manage to bring up the same pathetic shit you spew every where else. Give it a goddamn rest already. You're sounding more hateful then the people you claim to dislike for these reasons.

But anyways what I was going to say before I read that nonsense was that I personally can't stand Facebook. It's practically poisoning our society. Half the time all it does is give an outlet to far too many idiotic people looking to start drama over bullshit.

I've got news for you. I've lived in the south, I've lived in the North, I've even lived out west. Ignorant country hick knows no borders.

The difference being that in the south the ignorant country hick finds people who listen to him and sympathize with him. In the north (or the places that people typically think of when you pit "north vs south") he might find a small group of nut jobs that will listen but most will just roll their eyes and move on with their lives.

Now human stupidity knows no state boundaries but ignorance and stupidity, while tangentially related, are different.

Elitist much?

Guess it's much better out here in California, especially around San Francisco where people struggle to afford a tiny 1 bedroom apartment, and drive tiny electric cars (assuming they can even afford a place to park it). They are a sanctuary city, where they let illegals go free so they can kill American citizens, let the homeless take dumps on the sidewalks, etc. It's such a wonderful utopia they are setting new lows in the number of families with kids in the city.

Elitist much?

Guess it's much better out here in California, especially around San Francisco where people struggle to afford a tiny 1 bedroom apartment, and drive tiny electric cars (assuming they can even afford a place to park it). They are a sanctuary city, where they let illegals go free so they can kill American citizens, let the homeless take dumps on the sidewalks, etc. It's such a wonderful utopia they are setting new lows in the number of families with kids in the city.

California is relatively southern though. Now places like Oregon or Washington state to the north are a lot better about problems like the ones you pointed out. I never saw that kinda stuff in Seattle.

Anyhow, I wonder if Facebook usage rates per capita go up as income level declines. I'm kinda thinking it does.

first time ive heard california referenced as a southern state. and the major cities in both oregon and washington are full of homeless heroin addicts living under bridges and pissing on the sidewalks but hey if thats your northern utopia then enjoy it.

first time ive heard california referenced as a southern state. and the major cities in both oregon and washington are full of homeless heroin addicts living under bridges and pissing on the sidewalks but hey if thats your northern utopia then enjoy it.

How is it _not_ southern? It has a border with Mexico and everything.

im pretty sure the "south" ends at texas and even then i wouldnt consider texas as a southern state.

Well south pretty much starts at the mason-dixon line though some southern culture unfortunately makes it up to places north of it (Pennsylvania has a ton of rednecks for example) and some northern culture manages to trickle down to the south mostly in urban areas where its possible to overcome the ingrained stuff that small towns and rural areas encourage as positive things so the line isn't really that clearly drawn.

Back