Still buzzing

Escape

n00b
Hey everyone,

I was experiencing buzzing from my speakers coming from the video card (the buzzing is a lot more intense when the video card is under load).

I bought an Asus Sonar u7 external sound card and am still having the issue.

My speakers are amped and powered from the same electricity outlet because of proximity issues. I thought getting the sound card would resolve my issue. I am saddened it did not although it sounds great (but is a little under-powered).

The cables I am using are dollar-store level so I bought quality shielded speaker cables in the hopes of stopping the buzz. Am I just throwing away money by attempting to shield the audio cables and possibly the DVI cables running to my screens?

Is the only fix to run the Sonar u7 on a different power source than the computer? I can try that with an extension cord, however my building being old none of the wiring is grounded. I doubt it will change anything.

If the buzzing is coming from the outlets, I worry that no amount of shielding will give me a decent sound sans buzzing.

You have few options with that interface since the noise could be coming from the ground plane of a shared bus IC on the motherboard:

1. Put tape over the power pins on the USB cable coming from the PC and provide external power to the interface (not guaranteed to get rid of the digital hash/buzz)
2. Try various powered USB hubs, hoping it lifts the appropriate pin terminating the bad signal (again, not guaranteed)
3. Some type of USB galvanic isolation gadget (might not work with higher bit rates depending on implementation)
4. Find an interface that works over TOSlink to decouple the ground from your PC completely

Real shielded cables are going to introduce noise into your audio unless you legitimately connect the ground foil to something else -- you aren't using a balanced connection, so the shielding is just free floating and likely acting as an antenna in such usage. If this is speaker hum buzzing and not just digital hash noise, I suggest something like an Ebtech HumX hum eliminator on a power strip for your speakers and audio interface, it might or might not work, so purchase from a place with a decent return policy. If your onboard audio has a TOSlink out, definitely look into option 4. That'll be your least expensive "real" solution.

No ground in your building sounds like a really poor design, old building or not. I wouldn't want to run a PC ground lifted.

Is there a way to turn the 1/8" audio output on a sound card to a balanced 1/4" TRS set or XLR connectors?

I'm fine with a passive mixer, but if I try to use a pre-amped mixer (all RCA inputs) my system sounds like a DC3 at level flight.

Not sure I would even try fixing the buzzing without first fixing the ungrounded power problem.

Are there any florescent lights on the same circuit? That could be causing the problem as well.

Not sure I would even try fixing the buzzing without first fixing the ungrounded power problem.

Are there any florescent lights on the same circuit? That could be causing the problem as well.

I can't fix the ungrounded outlet problem. I rent, plus installing a grounded outlet requires that ground wires be run to each box from the electrical panel which is probably ungrounded as well whch means changing the panel to attach it to the house ground etc etc. It's a huge job even for one outlet. Not sure the landlord would agree to invest that kind of $$$ just so I can get rid of buzzing in my speakers.

I considered going the digital route. My Sonar U7 has an SPDIF link. However whatever amp I buy would still have the same problem. It would be powered by the same "dirty" electricity and its output to the speakers would still buzz.

I can't fix the ungrounded outlet problem.

Is there a heater vent or radiator near the outlet? Not the best route obviously, but in the past I have used a 2-wire to grounded plug adapter and ran the ground loop on the adapter to a heater vent, which did effectively ground the outlet. It was a temporary solution until I had time to change the wiring.

Is there a heater vent or radiator near the outlet? Not the best route obviously, but in the past I have used a 2-wire to grounded plug adapter and ran the ground loop on the adapter to a heater vent, which did effectively ground the outlet. It was a temporary solution until I had time to change the wiring.

I do have a cast iron radiator right near my computer.

You're talking about using something like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheater_plug

... and running a single copper wire from the loop on the plug to the radiator's pipe?

That sounds like something cheap I can try.

I do have a cast iron radiator right near my computer.

You're talking about using something like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheater_plug

... and running a single copper wire from the loop on the plug to the radiator's pipe?

That sounds like something cheap I can try.

You got it. Just make sure it's a thick stranded wire, if you don't have one run several smaller ones. You want it to make a good connection. It will solve your problems if it is in fact ground related, which it sounds like it is.

Audio interference is a common sign of a failing power supply. Try a different PSU if you can - your current one may be failing and you know what can happen when the PSU goes... ;)

You got it. Just make sure it's a thick stranded wire, if you don't have one run several smaller ones. You want it to make a good connection. It will solve your problems if it is in fact ground related, which it sounds like it is.

You sir have forever earned my gratitude.

I just hooked up the cheater plug with an external ground wire to the brass valve on the radiator and cleaned it up with steel wool to make sure I had good contact. My humming is gone. I still hear some buzzing but that seems to change/gets worse when the video card is working. I guess there isn't much I can do about that.

Many thanks for your help.

Last edited:
No problem. Next step would be replacing the PSU when you're ready, hopefully that fixes the rest of your problems.

Back