IPAD update IOS or not?

HICKFARM

Gawd
So I have the original 32gb IPad (model: MC770LL/A).

I am currently running IOS 6.1.3.

I have deferred from updating since all the apps i use work fine and have had heard problems about the older tablets slowing down when doing so. Is this true since the newer IOS updates are targeted more towards the newer tablets with better hardware?

So should i update to 8.4? Is there any advantages my IPad can use with it?

This is my only Apple product so i don't know what the newer IOS updates have for features.

The original iPad only goes to iOS 5.1.1, you have an iPad 2.

Personally I'd skip iOS 8 and just wait for 9 to come out next month. Coming from 6.x, 8 will be much slower than you are used to. The beta version of 9 is a large improvement over 8. It will be slightly slower than 6.x, but you'll get compatibility with recent apps, which is what really holds back devices on iOS 6 at this point.

Ok thanks, wasn't sure if it was the IPad 2 or not.

So basically no need to update if the apps i run don't need the newer IOS.

Don't do it. iOS 7 was shit on the iPad 2 and iOS 8 wasn't any better. iOS 6 was still my favorite, doesn't look like some little kid went to town on the design, but the most important part is that it runs much better than the newer firmwares.

So basically no need to update if the apps i run don't need the newer IOS.

iOS 6.1.3 has known security issues, so if you use your iPad for important transactions or on public wifi, it's important to keep it updated. If it never leaves your house and you just use a few old apps on it, you're probably fine leaving it as it is. I'd still recommend updating it to iOS 9 when it is released though.

iOS 6.1.3 has known security issues, so if you use your iPad for important transactions or on public wifi, it's important to keep it updated. If it never leaves your house and you just use a few old apps on it, you're probably fine leaving it as it is. I'd still recommend updating it to iOS 9 when it is released though.

I would definitely wait a few days/weeks before updating to iOS 9. iOS 8 launch was awful, and my confidence in smooth software launches by Apple isn't where it used to be.

Ya not really worried about security on it. Just leaving it at work to browse the internet and play hearthstone at lunch and breaks.

Based on your replies, i am probably going to stick with IOS 6. Will have to wait and see what IOS 9 delivers, but doubtful i will update to that either. To bad I can't just demo it without the option to go back to 6. I read somewhere that you can backup the blob or something and then downgrade again, but seems like a hassle.

I would definitely wait a few days/weeks before updating to iOS 9. iOS 8 launch was awful, and my confidence in smooth software launches by Apple isn't where it used to be.

I'm using 9.0 Beta 5 right now on an iPad Mini (same hardware as OP's iPad 2) and it's great. Doesn't say anything about the eventual GM release, but if this were the final build, I'd say go for it. It's a massive improvement over iOS 8 on A5 devices.

Going from 8.3 to 8.4 on my Mini 2 has been a disaster for battery life. I say skip 8 altogether and go with 9 if you have an upgrade itch. However, if your pad is performing well with its current OS, I'd stick with it.

Soon you are going to run into issues where any app update is going to require iOS 7 or newer, hell I am seeing some that require an iPad3 or newer.

Soon you are going to run into issues where any app update is going to require iOS 7 or newer, hell I am seeing some that require an iPad3 or newer.

Ya really surprised the game Hearthstone i have been primarily playing works on IOS 6. Pretty happy about that.

Don't do it. iOS 7 was shit on the iPad 2 and iOS 8 wasn't any better. iOS 6 was still my favorite, doesn't look like some little kid went to town on the design, but the most important part is that it runs much better than the newer firmwares.

This is bad advice. iOS 8 runs fine on the iPad 2, as long as you disable the graphical effects.

Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Increase Contrast -> turn on Reduce Transparency.

This is bad advice. iOS 8 runs fine on the iPad 2, as long as you disable the graphical effects.

Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Increase Contrast -> turn on Reduce Transparency.

I stand corrected. Didn't think something so simple could have such a huge impact on performance.

I wouldn't upgrade from 6 to 8/9, do a DFU restore to the newer version and recover from backup.

Device Firmware Upgrade mode. This is bad advice driven by [H]'s paranoia of upgrade installations, rooted in a technical mindset stuck in the Windows XP era.

What backup?

Your local backup created when syncing with iTunes, or your iCloud backup created roughly every 24 hours.

Device Firmware Upgrade mode. This is bad advice driven by [H]'s paranoia of upgrade installations, rooted in a technical mindset stuck in the Windows XP era.

I am one of the paranoid and it keeps me away from buying iOS devices at all.

I have a 4th gen iPad and have stuck with 7.1.2, the buggyness of 8 has kept me away. using ipad 2s at work with 8 they seem much slower with 7 and worse with 8. I would keep 6.1.3 unless there is a must have app that requires something more. makes me mad apple wont release security updates for old devices unless they are on the latest version. for example the 3GS got 6.1.6 to patch a security issue.

Your local backup created when syncing with iTunes, or your iCloud backup created roughly every 24 hours.

I don't think I have ever hooked this IPad up to iTunes.

And on the whole updating the IOS. Some changes can be really annoying. Like just change how something works altogether, when it worked completely fine before. It might look a little better, but totally change functionality. I am all for optimization and graphical upgrades, but just don't change how the whole thing works.

Android has the same problem. I remember when "Application Manager" use to be one of the first thing in settings. Now it is hidden in settings>more>Application Manager.
t
I feel like i am turning into a grumpy old man at 25. I just go with the motto if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Every time I've upgraded iOS from one major version to another there have always been some lingering bugs after the upgrade, the upgrades themselves have never failed. Doing a DFU restores will (at least from what I'm told) completely wipe and overwrite the flash with the new OS files.

It takes considerably longer than a normal upgrade, iCloud restores seem to take hours to complete. But for me, in the end it's worth it. I'll do the DFU restore, then start the restore of my iCloud backup before I go to sleep and when I wake up it's done.

My first iPhone was a 4 and it seems that this has always been the case.

Last edited:

THANK YOU, this made a noticeable difference on my ipad2

Back