Best Streaming Device for HT

itsukisama

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

I wanted to see what you guys all use for a wireless streaming device. I have a NAS on my network. I used to have a HTPC, but it got too complicated for the wife for her to turn on especially when she only uses it for Netflix. I got a WD Live Play for like $35 bucks to test it out. It works great when it stream anime considering they usually are in .mkv files. I was wondering how the other alternatives are. It works for what I want it to do but the interface lags so much during menu changes and browsing.

I'm using a NUC with dual band wifi and it works very well. Not exactly inexpensive though at around $350. I've read good things about the various Chromebox models on the Kodi/OpenELEC forums.

I have a bunch of Roku's for the family that stream from plex and the others like netflix. We have pretty good experiences, especially with the interface so easy kids and wife can use with no issues. I have 2 Roku 3's and 1 Roku 2 XS, and a couple at the parents.

I have a bunch of Roku's for the family that stream from plex and the others like netflix. We have pretty good experiences, especially with the interface so easy kids and wife can use with no issues. I have 2 Roku 3's and 1 Roku 2 XS, and a couple at the parents.

How's the Roku with 5.1 sound tracks?

plex + amazon fire here. plex has a handshaking issue with the serving PC (my sole computer) every once in a while. Issue is always fixed with a PC reboot.

Also use netflix, amazon prime videos, and the ESPN, PLUTO TV, TNT apps. Was able to cancel our cable subscription.

plex + amazon fire here. plex has a handshaking issue with the serving PC (my sole computer) every once in a while. Issue is always fixed with a PC reboot.

Also use netflix, amazon prime videos, and the ESPN, PLUTO TV, TNT apps. Was able to cancel our cable subscription.

How do you like Pluto TV??

I set up a HTPC a while back with Kodi to watch the media on my WHS server and have been working towards fully cutting the cord. Just trying to get as many options as possible to be able to convince the wife to get rid of the cable!!!

Amazon fire tv and Kodi(xbmc). Works like a dream. 5.1 surround does not work in plex unfortunately. 5.1 works in Kodi though.

Amazon fire tv and Kodi(xbmc). Works like a dream. 5.1 surround does not work in plex unfortunately. 5.1 works in Kodi though.

Yeah it's the only downside is lack of 5.1, but if I ever watch a movie in the living room I just use my HTPC and load up the file directly since i have all the plugins properly configured. For the kitchen and bedrooms chromecast + plex makes it so easy. And no losing remotes as I just tell everyone to use their phones.

KDLINKS HD720. Works great in streaming from my Synology NAS. Harmony remote works perfect. Everything else that I've tried has stuttering or such on large 1080p mkv files. Passes whatever audio I've tried. It does it all. The issue with the device is that it is rather expensive for a one trick media player.

However it works easily and everytime. That is exceptionally important when my wife is using it.

Edit. No hacking or modding required.

well damn, I never thought of going with something like this, but $39 for a fire stick? I might just have to get one!

Do you have to pay for the plex premium subscription or whatever it is called for a fire tv stick?

Hi guys,

I wanted to see what you guys all use for a wireless streaming device. I have a NAS on my network. I used to have a HTPC, but it got too complicated for the wife for her to turn on especially when she only uses it for Netflix. I got a WD Live Play for like $35 bucks to test it out. It works great when it stream anime considering they usually are in .mkv files. I was wondering how the other alternatives are. It works for what I want it to do but the interface lags so much during menu changes and browsing.

Personally I use the new Roku 3. I also have a old Roku 3 that I use. That along with plex, equals win.

Does fine with 5.1, runs plex 1080p just fine. Interface is awesome, and easy to use for anyone in the family. And they are not finnicky, they just work.

Last edited:
2 Roku 3's (living room and bedroom) and an older Roku XS still chugging in the bedroom. Have a Chromecast also, but it just doesn't work for our family needs, though it did go with us on vacation to the beach so the kids could cast Netflix/Plex/etc. to it from their tablets.

I actually got Plex installed on my server and tried it out via a Nexus 7 and a Chromecast plugged into my Denon receiver. It passed multichannel 5.1 audio just fine.

Back