QX6700 would this outperform a standard quad cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this 775 board and I'm thinking of slapping in this cpu QX6700 extreme would this be worth the trouble over a dual core core 2 SIM speed coy? Not an over clocker just wanting to add live to the computer.

I currently am running a 2 ghz core 2 duo with 2 meg cache.
Would the Qx9700 extreme cpu be a big boost in performance?
Sorry posting from my phone.

Either of the quads that you mentioned should be better performers than a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, especially in applications that can utilize more threads. Worst case, the QX6700 should still be quicker in single-threaded applications. Hopefully your motherboard will support the quad-core CPUs. Remember to update BIOS before swapping the CPUs ;)

That's what I thought as well but my history with 775 cpu's are limited it appeared it would be a big help, I have already updated the bios and have installed a 128 gig ssd 8 megs of ram and the board supports up to core 2 quad extreme cpu's

QX6700 would this outperform a standard quad cpu?

It really comes down to what you mean when you say "standard quad cpu". The Intel Core architecture has been with us since 2006, so you're talking about CPUs that are nearing a decade old at this point. They are still plenty fast for most tasks, and going from a dual-core to a quad-core will still represent a decent upgrade at this point, but there are many newer and faster CPUs out there now. If we define "standard quad cpu" as being a CPU that is only a few years old, compared to the much older CPUs you've discussed, the answer is No.

Another thing that stands out as a sort of a red flag is you are talking about extreme edition CPUs. Those CPUs have never been worth it from a cost perspective. Usually you're talking just a few % performance over the non-extreme edition CPUs but for MUCH higher cost. Instead of a QX6700, look for a cheap Q6600 instead. Instead of a QX9770, look for a cheap Q9650, etc.

One last thing is that you are talking about two different generations of socket 775 CPUs. The QX6700 (along with CPUs like the Q6600) are based on the original 65nm Core architecture. Slightly newer CPUs like the QX9770 (along with CPUs like the Q9650) are from the 45nm refresh of the Core architecture. The 45nm CPUs aren't always compatible with older motherboards. Compatibility should be very good as long as you stick with 65nm CPUs.

That's what I thought as well but my history with 775 cpu's are limited it appeared it would be a big help, I have already updated the bios and have installed a 128 gig ssd 8 megs of ram and the board supports up to core 2 quad extreme cpu's

8 megabytes of RAM? Your cpu is the last component you should be worrying about.

If you can find a q6600 for $15 wish it would be an upgrade. IG your board supports it a q8400 will be on par as well since you don't over clock.

OP if you already have the cpu then it's worth it, if you were to pay for one then no it isn't worth it.

look up if your board have support of 45nm Xeons. There are sites custom baked BIOSes eg. http://tanieprocesory.pl/bios/ (just click on motherboard vendor logo)

Lately I slapped to friends computer 3.16GHz 45nm 12MB Xeon for ~ $42, computer got second life and GTA5 worked very nice on it. For the price best upgrade possible. If mobo was not G41 variety and enabled OC it would performed even better. 3.8GHz on good cooling should be easily attainable.

Like others have posted If you already have the cpu then yea it will be a nice upgrade over the core2duo. But dont go out and pay a lot for a core2quad extreme chip. Otherwise just get a Q6600 or something and overclock it.

Just to ask the obvious - why invest in this platform? Surely even at sub $100 price points you could move to a much faster platform with used / off-lease etc tech buys on ebay or the like?

Just to ask the obvious - why invest in this platform? Surely even at sub $100 price points you could move to a much faster platform with used / off-lease etc tech buys on ebay or the like?

Because my wife just wants a little life added to the computer and isn't ready to pay much right now for something newer. the quad core extremes are selling for as little as 30 dollars shipped.

The end this thread the answer to your first post if a definitive yes. It will be faster. Likely much coming from just a core2duo. As mentioned though, some later core2quad CPUs use 45nm.. of your board supports it (Google it), then you're clear. Good luck.

Check the bios to verify it supports 45nm cpus. I made the mistake of not checking to see if a board was compatible with a 775 processor not to long ago.

Runs hotter too if you plan to overclock it a bit and get a decent boost. Stock QX6700 sucks in single threaded applications and some multi-threaded applications if compared to the Wolfdale E8500 or 8600.

I have my q6700 at 4.2ghz... but it is on water. Has lots of potential.

I don't see the point in going from Conroe to Conroe.

Sure, you want the system to last a little more but regardless what Quad Proc you use, you won't see that much of an improvement. In 2008 I switched my E6600 for a Q6600 and didn't notice that much difference in performance, except my account which became with a -$150.

I just ditched my Q6600 set up two weeks ago and I like this new set up, because the speed/performance difference is noticeable.

IMO, save those $30 for a newer system, then you'll see the difference. And you just made your current set up last you a little longer, by adding that SSD. But believe me SATA II vs SATA III? Big improvement. And I'm sure you saw the difference between mechanical vs SSD drives.....well, that's what you'll see from Conroe to Haswell.

I don't see the point in going from Conroe to Kentsfield.

Fixed that for you.

If OP's miss doesn't use the PC for anything too intensive, she'd be hard to notice the difference between a new i3 or i5 to a QX6700 or similar circa quad core.

A faster SSD would make a bigger difference at this point going from C2D to a C2Q (if both at stock).

I'd do the LGA 771 mod before I used any Extreme Q series chip. Way more cost effective.

Second recommendation for the 771-775 mod. The little conductive stickers are like $5 on eBay, and you can grab a top-end 3.0GHz++ Xeon Quad for like $20.

ok I have to say something I upgraded from a QX6700 to i920 in 2008-2009 time frame and it was already slower than most of the newer chips at the time. Any board that supports that chip is going to be from 2005 - 2006 time frame. A bargain bin deal would likely be faster at that setup. If that is what yu have o work with that is what you have but don't spend money on that system, my i920 cpu in 2008-9 was like 200 dollars I'm sure you can get into an i5 system cheaper than messing with QX6700 at this point. Really even an i3 might be faster...

Upgrading Core2Duo based systems to Core2Quad is actually still a GOOD idea at this point IF you can find a low priced quad. The enthusiast Core2Quads (ie anything that begins with QX) are very expensive and not worth it, but a Q6600 for example can be very cheap these days and the 2 extra cores are quite helpful in modern day multitasking. Throw in an SSD and the system would be alot more speedy than people think. Don't buy a QX6700, that's an enthusiast chip that you will be paying a premium for. Get a standard Q6600, they're only ~$20 now on ebay and WELL worth the upgrade over a weaker Core2Duo.

This old system I'm on right now went from a Core2Duo E6400 (2.14ghz) to a Q6600 (2.4ghz) and the extra cache + cores really improved my experience with things I found the Core2Duo lacking on. Browsing the web + streaming twitch.tv was painful on my E6400 but completely solved with the Q6600. Basically any web videos that for whatever reason fall back to software decoding, the Q6600 has the muscle to burn through still. It was also able to run a couple VM's without huge issues. I could transcode games with OBS and stream them to twitch with the Q6600, whereas before that was completely impracticle with a Core2Duo. Basically the Core2Quads still have enough muscle to do many things at once due to their extra cores. They lack single threaded speed compared to modern processors, but a quad can still throw cores at the issue and make up for that in some ways. The processor is old regardless but I still think the Core2Quads are nice, especially for their age.

Last edited:
Upgrading Core2Duo based systems to Core2Quad is actually still a GOOD idea at this point IF you can find a low priced quad. The enthusiast Core2Quads (ie anything that begins with QX) are very expensive and not worth it, but a Q6600 for example can be very cheap these days and the 2 extra cores are quite helpful in modern day multitasking. Throw in an SSD and the system would be alot more speedy than people think. Don't buy a QX6700, that's an enthusiast chip that you will be paying a premium for. Get a standard Q6600, they're only ~$20 now on ebay and WELL worth the upgrade over a weaker Core2Duo.

This old system I'm on right now went from a Core2Duo E6400 (2.14ghz) to a Q6600 (2.4ghz) and the extra cache + cores really improved my experience with things I found the Core2Duo lacking on. Browsing the web + streaming twitch.tv was painful on my E6400 but completely solved with the Q6600. Basically any web videos that for whatever reason fall back to software decoding, the Q6600 has the muscle to burn through still. It was also able to run a couple VM's without huge issues. I could transcode games with OBS and stream them to twitch with the Q6600, whereas before that was completely impracticle with a Core2Duo. Basically the Core2Quads still have enough muscle to do many things at once due to their extra cores. They lack single threaded speed compared to modern processors, but a quad can still throw cores at the issue and make up for that in some ways. The processor is old regardless but I still think the Core2Quads are nice, especially for their age.

Look up the LGA 771 to 775 mod; There's no reason to ever buy a Q series processor for a LGA 775 now, as the Xeons are drastically cheaper.

Look up the LGA 771 to 775 mod; There's no reason to ever buy a Q series processor for a LGA 775 now, as the Xeons are drastically cheaper.

Does the LGA 771 mod work for all LGA 775 motherboards now? I had a problem when I tried it back on a P5Q motherboard and I suspected it was a lack of support for the Xeon in the BIOS. I actually have a couple of LGA 775 Xeons that I rescued from the scrap heap recently. I might give it a shot again. The mod sticker is really cheap.

Does the LGA 771 mod work for all LGA 775 motherboards now? I had a problem when I tried it back on a P5Q motherboard and I suspected it was a lack of support for the Xeon in the BIOS. I actually have a couple of LGA 775 Xeons that I rescued from the scrap heap recently. I might give it a shot again. The mod sticker is really cheap.

It's usually due to the BIOS lacking the Xeon micro codes. There's guides on how to add them yourself to Award and Phoenix BIOS', and most people have success. There's a huge thread on OCN if you want to check for a specific motherboard's compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back