Streaming blu-ray player with 802.11n?

Retsam

2[H]4U
Maybe someone can help me. Ive been trying to figure out the best streaming media solution that also allows for local file content playback and basically ive decided to go with some type of blu-ray player since most support local file playback these days.

My issue is, ive tested maybe 5 different blu-ray players and streaming from my router is very choppy and not very smooth at all.

I am trying to find a blu-ray player that supports 802.11n at least(most do not I do not believe). Anyone know of any in the $80-150 range that do? I want a decent quality reliable blu-ray player that supports local content and 802.11n wifi. Its hard to search for.

Just wondering.... have you considered running an ethernet cable instead of using the wireless?

Of course. Its a 2 story house. My router is upstairs in office and this would be for the family room. Definitely not an option.

Few people can get streaming over any form of wireless with any decent bitrate. Some claim they do it all day long and stream 1080p content but i am tempted to say perhaps it is 1920 x resolution but a very very low bitrate....as any test i have done things stutter and go out of sync fast. As well an admin at work tested thoroughly as well with tons of tech and he is a network guru and gave up..

Few people can get streaming over any form of wireless with any decent bitrate. Some claim they do it all day long and stream 1080p content but i am tempted to say perhaps it is 1920 x resolution but a very very low bitrate....as any test i have done things stutter and go out of sync fast. As well an admin at work tested thoroughly as well with tons of tech and he is a network guru and gave up..

Yeah that is kind of what I was thinking too. I was attempting this with that in mind.

I already have a portable HDD and just play/transfer content from usb port there so, that is my main method right now. Its just, for certain things like TV seasons etc, stuff that is huge and a pain to transfer back/forth it would be nice to be able to stream. I cant fit everything onto a portable hdd you know?

Of course. Its a 2 story house. My router is upstairs in office and this would be for the family room. Definitely not an option.

It is an option..it is always an option. Consider biting the bullet to have the wire pull or moving the router. Another option is to get clever and get plenum rated wired and run it through your ducts with some minor dry wall work near the source and end points.

The only issue that is black and white is "will it work consistently and not me off".

A side note, an electrician will probably charge $200 for a drop. While not "cheap", definitely a much better solution than wireless. Second...as you stated, the $80-$150 goes a long ways for paying for that cost.

Get a Wi-Fi bridge with whatever is going to work best for your network. Also a better router may be enough as well. I was having issues with an archer c7 to fire tv sticks, but as soon as I changed to an Asus ac router everything was good

Do you have phone jacks in your house?
If you don't have a land line find the central point of the lines and see if they are Cat 5.
Mine were so I just swapped phone jacks for Cat 5 jacks and put in a switch, done.

I've run ethernet cables between floors before and if you think it's too difficult, the problem is you. It's not difficult at all. Sure, it requires some drywall patching, but very minor (if done right) and easy to do in one day by you, the homeowner. Just make sure to cut out pieces of drywall rather than smash it out and all you need to do is attach those pieces back when you're done and then joint compound and some paint (yeah I know people are going to whine about having to paint but... get over it. It's easy.). Not running ethernet is 100% laziness and nothing else.

Otherwise, have fun with wireless being crappy. You could try MoCA, though. It'll still be slower than ethernet but will have better stability and latency than wireless.

P.S. my carpentry skills are pretty poor, too, and this is still easy for me. And it typically only takes me maybe 1-2 hours.

Too many people today refuse to put in a little elbow grease.

Last edited:
I've run ethernet cables between floors before and if you think it's too difficult, the problem is you.

Thank you for taking the words right out of my head! I don't know how many customers I have heard over the years tell me cabling isn't an option. They must really buy into the marketing hype of wireless products. Don't get me wrong, wireless works reasonable well for low bit rate data, but streaming movies above 720p "isn't really an option". Run cables!

Guys I gave up on wireless long ago, I'm using Netgear PowerLine 500mb adapters all over my house. I can stream 1080p with zero problems, my ps4 and Xbox one which even in the basement or 2nd floor pull 45 to 50 down and 20 up way exceeding wireless in my house. Also this is consistent. You can get 2 adapters with free shipping from Newegg for $36.99

Back