Looking for a Free Backup Service that Automatically Syncs Specific Folders

song414

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

So I am familiar with Dropbox, Crashplan, Onedrive, Box, etc. They're all great to back up data, however most of these companies require you to manually drag your data into their specific folder. I want something that I can "set and forget". Meaning, you can target specific folders you'd like your backup service to back up and it syncs everytime those folders are modified.

The only service I know that does this is Crashplan, however it's a paid service if I want to use their cloud function. Is there a free service that provides a modest amount of space that has this feature?

You didn't mention if you were looking for cloud storage or local. Have you looked into Microsoft's SyncToy? It is easy to use and supports UNC paths, network drives, etc. I've used it for many years with no complaints.

Check out Syncplicity. You get 10 GB free. It's been a while since I used it but I believe you can "Add a folder" to your sync list from the PC client. It also has the common folders like Documents available to sync by default so you don't have to use their folder.

I stopped using it because at the time it didn't have a recycle bin feature. Not sure if it does not or not.

The only service I know that does this is Crashplan, however it's a paid service if I want to use their cloud function. Is there a free service that provides a modest amount of space that has this feature?

You can also set up a server somewhere and have Crashplan backup to it over the internet really easily. You don't have to backup directly to the Crashplan cloud.

Only thing is the free version is limited to once-every-24 hours scheduled backup I believe where with paid it can do it every time a file is changed.

Just use symbolic links to folders you created in your dropbox (or whatever vendor you choose) folder. Thats how I backup my game saves that don't support any sort of cloud backup.

It's a little more work, but it's free.

For example -- l lets say I want to back up an application in folder. Assuming my dropbox syncs D:\Dropbox, and the app is installed to C:\Program Files\MyApp, I could do this --

1. Move the C:\Program Files\MyApp folder to D:\Dropbox. You'd then have D:\Dropbox\MyApp.
2. Create a symbolic link:

Code:
mklink /d "C:\Program Files\MyApp" D:\Drobox\MyApp

Back