Same Samsung SSD 840 Pro In 2 Different Computers, Resuts Vastly Different

tackyjan

n00b
Hello All!,

I have 2 computers, an ASUS N550JK laptop and a custom built PC with the following specs:

- MSI A78M-E45 Motherboard
- AMD A8 6600K 3.9 GHz Processor
- 16 GB Ram

When I run AS SSD Benchmark I get vastly different results:

as-ssd-benchSamsungSSD840PC_zps0fa96daf.png
as-ssd-benchSamsungSSD840N550JK_zps287d781f.png

(The first image is my PC and the second is my laptop.)

I have run Samsung Magician on both machines and both have Rapid mode enabled, both are set to High Performance, and I have run optimization on both drives prior to running the tests.

Any ideas why the results would be so different? The results for the N550 seem almost impossible. Could it be that AS SSD Benchmark is returning erroneous results?

Also, is there another program like Samsung Magician I can use to tweak/optimize my SSDs? Perhaps another program might increase the performance of the SSD in my PC.

How about if I got a better uATX motherboard? I was looking at the ASROCK FM2AAM Extreme4+ motherboard. Never really liked my MSI board (had an issue with a heat sink falling off!)

Thank you,

Jan

P.S. As far as choices for new motherboards I am a bit restricted due to the fact that I have a uATX and due to an issue I have with my video card and my WiFi adapter which uses PCI express... The video card is wide and offsets to the left so if the PCI express slot is to the left of the video card slot then it gets covered up and I can't plugin my adapter. So I need the motherboard configuration to be such that the PCI express slot is to the right of the video card slot.

LL

Last edited:
Turn Rapid mode off and test it again to get a more accurate representation of SSD performance. With it on you'd really only be testing memory.

The only thing could be the difference in SATA controllers I would imagine. I would have expected the laptop to run the controller at lower power which could explain the difference but it appears the solwer of the two is the home built desktop.

Turn Rapid mode off and test it again to get a more accurate representation of SSD performance. With it on you'd really only be testing memory.

Okay I will try that thanks! (Someone also suggested I use a program called RAPID. Ever heard of that?)

~J

Also, do you notice any performance issues or is this purely one benchmark not showing the same as the other benchmark?

If you have RAPID enabled the result has nothing to do with SSD or SATA controller performance anymore.
RAPID is the Samsung RAM caching that comes with the Magician Software.
The benefit is very limited, it basically affects benchmarks and maybe software like Photoshop.
Not much for games and it also affects the system stability.

Also, do you notice any performance issues or is this purely one benchmark not showing the same as the other benchmark?

I disabled Rapid mode just for benchmarking and the results were much more "reasonable" (about ~1000 k rating for each).

Well,

Thank you everybody for all the responses! I learned quite a bit today about SSDs and benchmarking. :) I went ahead and ordered the ASROCK m/b just because like I said I have a bad feeling about the MSI and the ASROCK was pretty cheap ($59 after rebate).

One other quick question... I really like the AS SSD Benchmark program because it's easy to use and I like the Score it gives you at the end (makes it easier to compare different systems). Does anyone know of a similar benchmarking program for an overall computer?

Thank you again,

Jan

Haswell chips have very fast memory controllers which would make rapid mode much faster. Turn off rapid and you'll see the difference between SATA controllers.

Back