Building PC's in a Corporate Environment - Looking for KVM

Nathan

n00b
We are switching workbenches and have the opportunity to upgrade our KVM for building PC's.

The way ours works currently is we hook up 8 systems and on the console, push PrtScn and a menu comes up with the 8 options. We select one and are working instantly. Most KVM's I have found do not work like this and use a web interface.

Preferably I would like one that we can use on a dedicated monitor with easy switching. The best possible option would be an interface like a security camera system that you can see all of the PC's at once - Like this:
381684138_281.jpg

Click on one of the desktops and it becomes full screen. Efficiency/fast switching is the most important factor in this.

We would like for the KVM to have 16 ports minimum.
Price: $1500 MAX

Does this exist?
What would you suggest?
What setups do you guys use?
How do you deal with cable management?

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
I've never heard of a KVM switch that allows you to actually see multiple monitors at the same time equivalent to a camera security system. There'd be all sorts of power issues with that as typically a KVM switch cuts power to all but 1 output. That output gets a monitor signal, mouse and keyboard signals and that's it. Separating mouse and keyboard to only work on one at a time and take input from 2+ monitors at the same time... I don't think that exists yet (or if it does, it's certainly going to be WAY more than $1500)

As for KVM switches over multiple monitors, I've got an Avocent 1000. It's an 8 port stackable KVM switch (2 would give you 16), or you can find a higher up model as I believe 1 switch 16 port KVM switches exist too.

Link to the 1000 model: Avocent 1000 Monitor connections are VGA, and I believe both keyboard and mouse are USB.

I'm fairly sure when we bought it, it was under $1,500 CAD, and that was a few years ago. This thing is very fast for switching. You press one of the buttons physically on the KVM and within 1 second flat, your other screen is up and running with a responsive keyboard and mouse. Cable management is simple with this as all inputs are through the back of the device, so cables into the back, out through the side of the rack into a vertical cable management, and back in to where they need to go. Alternatively if you use a simple bookshelf (as we once did), again it's all through the back of the device, so same principle.

The only gripe I have with this is after a power failure (battery backups drained too - basically the power goes out to any input that's got something plugged into it) it'll make these short and semi infrequent "bip" (beep) noises. When power is fully restored that goes away. It's a good idea in principle such that if the signal is non responsive, it tells you to go check it out, but for us it just adds to all the other beeping every other piece of equipment does!

Tripplite seems to have one that will do what you are describing. Not sure if the OSD just lets you select numbers or what though.

Edit: OSD is just a list of the port numbers.

http://www.tripplite.com/sku/B042016

Their check prices link says it is $438 on Amazon.

And you can daisy chain 16 of them together to be able to control a max of 256 computers.

Edit2:
Here is something that looks like it may do closer to what you want. You would have to link 4 of them together to be able to see 16 screens at once though.
They are around $3,400 a piece though.
SPLITMUX® DVI/VGA Quad Screen Multiviewer

Edit3:
Here is a page that lists some other similar options. Some are slightly less expensive.
http://www.kvmswitchtech.com/rackmount-pip-quad-screen-splitter-c11626.htm

Last edited:
Tripplite seems to have one that will do what you are describing. Not sure if the OSD just lets you select numbers or what though.

Edit: OSD is just a list of the port numbers.

http://www.tripplite.com/sku/B042016

Their check prices link says it is $438 on Amazon.

And you can daisy chain 16 of them together to be able to control a max of 256 computers.

Edit2:
Here is something that looks like it may do closer to what you want. You would have to link 4 of them together to be able to see 16 screens at once though.
They are around $3,400 a piece though.
SPLITMUX® DVI/VGA Quad Screen Multiviewer

Edit3:
Here is a page that lists some other similar options. Some are slightly less expensive.
http://www.kvmswitchtech.com/rackmount-pip-quad-screen-splitter-c11626.htm

I stand corrected! Shows you how much I pay attention to this area.

Back