gaming pc upgrade ideas? need help.

jowens1126

n00b
well I think its time to upgrade my gaming rig.

Current configuration:

MB gigabyte Z77a-G43
CPU i7-3770 - 3.4 ghz
GPU - Radeon HD 7700 series x 2 in Crossfire
16gb ram

I am wondering if there is a better CPU/motherboard I could get? or should i stick with the CPU/MB I have and just upgrade other stuff.

I know im very weak in the graphics department. Im thinking about replacing the 2 7700's with one GTX970. Looking at benchmarks it seems to be at least 40% faster. I dont do multi monitor or really big screens so i think thats all i need.

I am definately going to move to a 500gb SSD for the OS and software to run from. I will use my old HDD for storage only.

I dont know if i need to do anything with the memmory, but I need to pull a module and check the part number to see if theres anything faster i can get.

any other ideas would be great.

3770k is still potent. I'd put a bit of an overclock on it if you don't already. I think your plan for a GTX970 and a bigger SSD is all you'd need to do.

since thats all i need maybe i could upgrade the cooling to include something like a corsair H100i.

I have no issue driving an OC'd 980 with my 3770k at least at 4.2 Ghz boost (from 3.9)..... most people get their 3770k's to 4.5-5.0 with an AIO.

For reference with 4.6 Ghz I'm at about 50% usage in BF4... locked at 60 FPS at 1200P (vsync). Not sure what your FPS target is or monitor, but I'd imagine with a 970 you could do 4x MSAA and 140% resolution scaling at 1080P.

what kind of power supply requirements should i be shooting for? I think it would be a good idea to upgrade it now since it stays running most of the last 2 years.

I was thinking about maybe a SeaSonic SS-1050XP3 1050W. It has good reviews and should have way more than enough power.

Also any preference on model of GTX 970?

New egg seems to only have 3 in stock.
EVGA
Gigayte
Zotac

Im leaning toward the gigabyte simply because of the cooling solution. Would it be worth it to try and find the MSI GTX 970 Gaming version? It was my first choice, but seems to be out of stock most everywhere.

Last edited:
I am personally getting MSI Gaming cause it is smaller for SLI config and it has silent cooling. But for a single card solution, you can't go wrong with Asus Strix or Gigabyte G1 either. Get G1 if you want the best air cooling solution for ocing.

Back