Best backup / restore program for outlook?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
I am looking for a good program that can backup / restore all of outlooks Settings / Accounts / Everything.

It's not exactly a software program for backing up but what I do with Outlook 2003 for backing up is just "export" the settings. Begin with "File" then Import and export, then "export to a file", "Personal Folder File (.pst)". Select "Personal Folders" and "Include sub-folders". This will collect everything. Save that .pst file as the backup and re-install it by pasting it back.

Or MailStore Home may be the software you are looking for. I ran it to create the back-up but never tested it for a re-install.

Last edited:
Backing up the PST file is really all you need and any backup program can do that. Copy and paste would also work. I'd recommend closing outlook prior to the backup so the data file isn't in use while being backed up.

Should also look for and back up any .ost files.

Settings and accounts, you can't back up; those are in the registry. You have to create those from scratch on a new install/secondary machine, but you can then point those [newly created accounts] to the .pst/.ost file that you backed up initially.

Basically the .pst/.ost gives you the messages and attachments, and in Outlook, the address book.

As mentioned by DB773, MailStore Home will let you backup the messages and access them within it's client, but really there's no reason to do that (since you can just use the .pst/.ost files). The one thing that MailStore Home helped me quite a bit with in the past was migrating OE mail > Outlook.

I know about the PST stuff.

But its VERY annoying when the client can never remember their passwords...

My ssd format and re-install plan is constantly updated and what I mean by that is I have a doc that lists the software that I am using, with any reminder that helps. I use it as a guide for knowing what I should have backed up and reminds me how do it. And for remembering the Outlook settings, you know, check box this and that, I took pics of each window of the settings. It makes it a breeze. Checklists are either in your head or on a piece of paper.

On my clients that use Outlook.....
When I set them up, I make a note in the Outlook notes folder that contains the POP/SMTP info, port info, user/pass info

If they move to a new machine..
Copy the PST file
Copy the NK2 file
Open Outlook on the new machine, go through the steps to configure but choose 'no email option'
- replace the new PST with the one from the old machine
- place the NK2 file in the same location on the new machine
- Open Outlook and configure the email account using the note from the note folder

MO Backup is good .It doesn't have the best looking interface, but it has the most impressive set of features. You can backup, restore, and move all of your Outlook data easily

Run MailPassView from Nirsoft to grab mail settings.

Backup PST / NK2 / Signature folder!!! (Didn't see that listed)

I generally don't backup OSTs as those should be hosted on server still...

Generally I check the data file management screen to make sure no other random PSTs are linked as well

Should also look for and back up any .ost files.

Actually, there is no point to backing up an OST file. If you deleted it, or started to use a new machine, Exchange will automatically recreate that file for you (maybe slowly for a big OST.)

Further, if you try to work from a local copy of a restored OST file, Exchange will throw an error and refuse to work with that OST. I know, because I found that out the hard way after an iPhone error deleted all my calendar entries for several years. Bah!

Did anyone ask about the version of Outlook? 2003 - if I remember correctly I believe has a transfer wizard on the start menu under Office/Tools. 2007 I think they did away with it. But using the Windows 7 Files & Settings Transfer Wizard will bring everything including the account password. Outlook 2010 MS killed the account settings being transferred, it just does the data.

P.S. When a corrupt .ost file happens you can just delete it and it's recreated from the server.

Back