The Crew beta signup is live!

I tried. I got Hardline so why not this maybe.

We'll see if this compete well with Grid 2.

Thanks for the heads up!

This game looks really ambitious. Really excited to see how good it turns out to be.

Signed up! Thanks, OP.

This is one of those games I'd never buy without the ability to see how it plays first.

After watching the beta walkthrough vid, its as if they isolated the car driving aspect of GTA5 and made that into its own game.

Just read somewhere it is locked at 30fps (the option to change FPS in game is grayed out) and you have to edit a cfg file to unlock it.

Got my key.. Can't even start the game.. Sits on the loading screen for 19,000 hours doing nothing.

The loading screen stops eventually.. within 5 minutes... I just backgrounded it and went back and forth now and then.

Just read somewhere it is locked at 30fps (the option to change FPS in game is grayed out) and you have to edit a cfg file to unlock it.

I can confirm this is the case.

Also, racing wheels make the game crash when plugged in.

I finally got to play it. It doesn't like SLI and you will get a weird glitch where everything goes black and you can only see motion blurred lights.

Graphics: Need For Speed Hot Pursuit/Burnout Paradise era.. Very average.
Gameplay: I was bored after the second tutorial mission

Waypoint system for the map is the worst implementation I've ever seen in any video game.. Typically there is a transparent overlay on the road showing what route to take etc to reach your waypoint. Or it's done on the mini-map etc. In The Crew there is a floating blue line above the road... A line literally just hovering about 40ft above the road showing you where to go. It looks soooo stupid..

And I'm late to the party, looks like beta started today, I'll have to keep my ears open for how it is.

Got my invite today, been playing all day.
Probably one of the best racing games ever made (non-simulators). Amazing.

Damn, I signed up as soon as they mentioned it on e3 but still never got invited.

I forget my ubisoft account and cant seem to get them to email me with a password reset. Ubisoft fail.

Free roam screenies (48 pics):
http://imgur.com/a/dxVy1

Livestreams aren't against NDA so there's a bunch on Twitch.
I can easily say The Crew's map size is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in gaming. So much detail.

Seriously the blue ribbon floating in the air for waypoint directions is hideously stupid.

Yes, it also bounces around a lot. Hard to describe.
Imagine a piece of taffy being bent/stretched. It's weird.

Climbed the mountains outside of LA for an (almost) full pic of the whole city.
Disappointing.

Game has pretty good graphics but clearly not the best long range render distance, eh.

MdnncUd.png

Is that the same engine as Watch_Dogs? Up close it looks quite similar. The cityscape looks like complete crap though.

No, it's Babel Engine which isn't the same as Watch Dogs.

It's still incredibly unstable. Lots of stuttering, random freezes that last up to 20-30 seconds before resuming. Large cities give me a huge fps hit but everything else runs at 60fps clean. The game hard caps at 60.
If it stays like this at launch, they will get the same amount of shit as Watch Dogs did over performance. It's as bad, or worse.

Since it's in beta, I would assume game performance will get better by the final release. This being ubisoft makes me doubt that will be the case.

The whole map is there but only the Mid-west and a few parts of the east coast have missions.
Also I think they're using a reduced level cap.

So realistically the download size won't increase much.

It is probably there but locked. Beta = Feature complete. So this beta is more to make sure the core elements are stable.

Just an update: got my closed beta key emailed to me a moment ago so they're still going out!

I don't understand a 4 day beta program. That's not really a lot of time to hash out problems.

I don't understand a 4 day beta program. That's not really a lot of time to hash out problems.
There's only 4 days worth of content, eh.
They're probably just testing overall stability in world exploration / intro quests / etc.

I'm bored after a few hours of driving around. The cars are too stiff for me, I don't think I've successfully made a turn without crashing into something.
Racing games were never my thing, though. This game is like Skyrim with cars (or world of warcraft with cars) so if you're an arcade racing fan you'll probably eat this game up.

Kind of a dumb question, but do you have to play online with others? I prefer playing racing games by myself. I did just get an invite (yay 2 days)

Try switching UPlay to offline mode, then launch the game.
Doubt it will work. It seems to be always online, it's an mmo. It's like asking if you can play WoW offline.

edit:
I verified, the game DOES support offline mode.
It doesn't seem to work at the moment, when I try to continue my game I'm getting server auth errors (can't play).

GengFpF.png

Last edited:
I meant if you can play "online" but by yourself. I think NFS Rivals is technically always online, but you don't have to play with others.

Ubisoft has changed tack and said it is "aiming" for 60fps for the launch version of The Crew on PC.

Writing on the Ubisoft forum, community manager Natchai said the developers were "working on getting 60fps for PC".

"The reason you could alter the FPS in the config file is because our team is actually working on getting 60fps for PC. The reason why it hasn't been communicated before this is because we didn't want to make a promise we couldn't deliver on

If you missed out (?!) Ubi are sending out three new keys to every beta-tester. Here's mine. First come, etc...

YA8H-XP3G-M8FX-KDUP
GCFW-A37C-E3NT-EP73 (taken)
YHMA-AJAU-66A4-CL63 (taken)

This twitter account seems to be retweeting people posting their keys on twitter, should be plenty for anyone who wants in.

Last edited:
Back