Costco: USB 3.0 Seagate 4TB external $160

Fooshnik

2[H]4U
Til 2/24.

img20130131115633.jpg

saw this earlier too. Going to drop by after work and crack one open.

opened a 3tb and its hard to do without breaking a few tabs, though when i checked the hard drive had its own warranty on the seagate site (i.e. even bare it still had a warranty). I put another drive in the enclosure and works with that as well (though it doesnt power down properly)

opened a 3tb and its hard to do without breaking a few tabs, though when i checked the hard drive had its own warranty on the seagate site (i.e. even bare it still had a warranty). I put another drive in the enclosure and works with that as well (though it doesnt power down properly)

Same here, my 3TB internal drives had their own warranty

Oh wow.. I was thinking about going bigger & getting the WD Red 3tb drives, but this would be about the same cost for an extra tb..

I bought a few of these before the sale, one is my Time Machine backup disk and one I manually backup my RAID to. Keep one cable in and swap the drives out, works great. Obviously needs a quick reformat to work on OSX.

Here's a LG 50" 1080p plasma for $500. (Price shows at checkout)

Thanks for the heads up. On the recommendation of a classmates that work in a TV repair shop I'm sticking to Panasonic, Sharp, or Sony (and sony's out of my price range). I'm going to go by costco and other stores on saturday and see what kind of deals there are. Hopefully they'll be trying to get in a few last sales before the super bowl.

Are you saying the warranty is still good?

yes, the serial number on the internal hard drive was different of that on the case, and the internal drive had its own warranty, which was 3 years just for the drive itself

edit: this was for the same drive in 3TB, not sure about this one but if history is any indicator, it should be the same.

I concur. My internal drive shows warranty through November of 2015. It's a Seagate Barracuda XT 4TB 7200RPM as mentioned earlier.

I do not know if Seagate requires proof of purchase, which would complicate this.

I recommend this video for instructions on opening the drive without breaking any tabs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsEEQXpHcuQ

I went to Costco with the intention of buying a couple. In the end, I just couldn't bring myself to buy another POS Seagate drive. For just $3 more per TB, I can buy a 3TB WD drive for $130 at Microcenter.

I went to Costco with the intention of buying a couple. In the end, I just couldn't bring myself to buy another POS Seagate drive. For just $3 more per TB, I can buy a 3TB WD drive for $130 at Microcenter.

We would be singing the same tune if there was one next to every Costco!

Well I didn't have as good of luck. I bought a 3TB external seagate (usb3.0) last fall from Costco and when I checked it on their site it was reported as OEM no warranty. It was a 7200rpm M001 drive

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought two of these drives tonight so I thought I'd give my findings to my fellow [H]'ers.

Per the slickdeals thread, I seeked out solely the ones that had the Windows 7 logo on the packaging instead of the Windows 8 logo. Apparently the Win8 ones are the newer production runs that have 5900 RPM drives inside of them that are non-warrantied outside of the enclosure.

I grabbed two of the Windows 7 compatible logo packages and got them home. Opening it wasn't very difficult at all, I didn't break any tabs nor actually end up making any prying marks. Both of the drives inside were Barracuda XT 4TB drives, ST4000DX000 7200RPM drives. Currently I am doing a long test on the first of two drives and plan to install them both into my PC in a RAID1 configuration.

Both are warrantied until November 2015. I find it slightly amusing the drive taken out of the case gives you an extra 9 months of warranty.

I hope this helps others looking for some deals on 4TB internal drives. They seem to run rather quietly, which is always a nice thing. :)

I bought two of these drives tonight so I thought I'd give my findings to my fellow [H]'ers.

Per the slickdeals thread, I seeked out solely the ones that had the Windows 7 logo on the packaging instead of the Windows 8 logo. Apparently the Win8 ones are the newer production runs that have 5900 RPM drives inside of them that are non-warrantied outside of the enclosure.

I grabbed two of the Windows 7 compatible logo packages and got them home. Opening it wasn't very difficult at all, I didn't break any tabs nor actually end up making any prying marks. Both of the drives inside were Barracuda XT 4TB drives, ST4000DX000 7200RPM drives. Currently I am doing a long test on the first of two drives and plan to install them both into my PC in a RAID1 configuration.

Both are warrantied until November 2015. I find it slightly amusing the drive taken out of the case gives you an extra 9 months of warranty.

I hope this helps others looking for some deals on 4TB internal drives. They seem to run rather quietly, which is always a nice thing. :)
Thanks for the great info! I might just pick one of these up.

Last edited:

Hmmm, I threw the cardboard exterior away on mine, but I still have the box, it has a sticker that says "Compatible with Windows 8, Windows 7, etc"

Opened it up, and it was an XT

I picked one of these up, the costco by me had a bunch of the windows 7 boxes behind all the newer boxes that only had windows 8. I decided to get the older drive to to see if they would honor the warranty of the drive out side of the enclosure. I was debating about getting the newer drive since it might be more reliable but who knows it could be less reliable. So I guess the faster speed won out since warranty is sketchy anyways.

Unless they've changed their policies, the last time I RMAed a Seagate drive they did not require a proof of purchase.

On another note, both drives are working quite happily in RAID1 on my EX58-UD4P. At first the Intel RAID BIOS would only see them as 1.6TB due to an outdated Option ROM in the BIOS, but I found on another forum where someone modified the BIOS to include the latest option ROM for the ICH10R RAID function, at which point it saw the entire drive. The BIOS is F14q if you are looking for it.

I bought a couple of these off Amazon for the same price. Both packages had Windows 8 logos, yet one was an XT and one was a ST4000DM000. Both drives show warranty until 2015 on Seagates site. I think I'm okay with the 5900rpm drive, should run cooler and be plenty fast for my NAS.

Picked up two today.

Did not have any that said Windows 7.

Cracked them open carefully (one has marks but I used this one for the test, and the other was done more carefully incase I needed to warranty the drive)

Barracuda XT 4TB... warranty till 01-2016 on both :D

Lucky me I guess.

Good luck to everyone else.

Back