Looking for 27" LED recommendations - WQHD

SBMongoos

[H]ard|Gawd
I've had my old 20.1" UltraSharp LCD for years and it's time to retire it. I'm looking for a really good 27" that's WQHD.

Uses:
  • web surfing
  • reading (a lot)
  • some gaming
  • photo editing
  • web site development

Getting burned out on reading reviews, etc. Been noticing the Dell U2713HM, ASUS PB278Q, ViewSonic VP2770 and Samsung 850s. I see the ASUS available for $500 at Newegg. Not sure if there is newer/better. Curious about the 1.06/7 billion colors. I tend to take care of my stuff and it lasts so don't mind paying more for something worthwhile. Of course deals are always great.

Last edited:
Best 2560x1440 Monitors

Negative to the U2713HM, PB278Q and S27A850D. If you can spend more the Eizo EV2736W is the best since it is glow free (review links). AOC Q2770WPU (PC Monitors Review. need to add it to my list) is better than the PB278Q which is kind of the odd man out now since it uses LED PWM Dimming (Side Effects), has slower pixel response times or really obvious overshoot ghosting depending on which overdrive (Trace Free) setting is used and lacks 4x USB 3.0 ports unlike.

The Crossover 2720MDP is the best glossy, multi-input option.

Curious about the 1.06/7 billion colors.

I have one of this: (capable of 1 billion colors; display port input; ips; 27in; 2560x1440) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824276053

Generally want to avoid the wide gamut/10-bit/1.07 billion color displays, unless you specifically need it for print work. For web development it will be a nightmare since web browsers (except Firefox w/secret gfx toggle) do not recognize wide gamut color.

That said, the HP ZR2740w is not a 10-bit panel; it is 8-bit+FRC and behaves as a standard sRGB panel. Specs are misleading - usually it says "up to 1.07 billion" - I'm not sure how you would get 1.07 billion colors out of it, maybe with a 10-bit video card. I can't comment on your other options but the HP would be a solid choice imho.

The Newegg link is a refurb which only has 90 day warranty. For new with 3yr warranty, it is $459 at B&H Photo.

Wow I didn't realize the HP ZR2740w is so cheap now. It might be a good alternative to the Korean monitors since it has warranty and the new version has the semi gloss coating.

Are there any issues with the HP other than a lack of OSD? Does it have a built in scalar to be used with consoles?

Wow I didn't realize the HP ZR2740w is so cheap now. It might be a good alternative to the Korean monitors since it has warranty and the new version has the semi gloss coating.

Are there any issues with the HP other than a lack of OSD? Does it have a built in scalar to be used with consoles?

If you look at user reviews on major shopping sites there have been a number of complaints of the monitor failing after several months. However, there are just as many good reviews. A friend of mine has one and it has been great. It sounds like there may have been a bad batch, but it is impossible to tell from user reviews alone. It could be a few bad units, a bad batch, or a bad part. For this reason, however, I'd recommend the new one with a three year warranty, but that would be just my personal preference.

If you look at user reviews on major shopping sites there have been a number of complaints of the monitor failing after several months. However, there are just as many good reviews. A friend of mine has one and it has been great. It sounds like there may have been a bad batch, but it is impossible to tell from user reviews alone. It could be a few bad units, a bad batch, or a bad part. For this reason, however, I'd recommend the new one with a three year warranty, but that would be just my personal preference.

Yeah I would definitely get the three year warranty, especially for HP/Dell monitors because the service is excellent. If you have any issues an advanced replacement will be sent out the next day.

I was wondering more about unfixable issues inherent to the panel like image retention and cross hatching. Someone like NCX might know, I didn't see this monitor on his list.

Based on what I saw it looked like the HP issue was fixed last year at some point. Looks like a good deal. The ViewSonic apparently is as good with faster response though. Thoughts?

The Enzo looks nice but it doesn't seem worth that price unless I'm missing something.

Even buying refurb'd you can purchase warranty extensions on HP panels. I bought my zr30W refurb'd, and bought a 5 year overnight advanced RMA warranty for an extra $100USD.

So you went from wanting something with IPS and higher resolution...to wanting something with lower screen resolution, lower density, and poorer colors due to being TN.

Which do ya want?

Point well made. That's why I asked. Then the Vizio is out.

Looking at the Asus PA279Q and see:
  • Factory pre-calibrated for unmated color accuracy (&#8710;E< 2) with 99% Adobe RGB, 100% sRGB, and 120% NTSC
  • Professional 27-inch AH-IPS display with 2560 x 1440 WQHD resolution and 109 pixels per inch for greater image detail
  • DisplayPort input, Daisy-chain DisplayPort output, HDMI, and Dual-link DVI; along with six USB 3.0 ports and a 9-in-1 card reader
  • Ergonomic tilt, swivel, pivot, and height adjustment for a comfortable viewing angle

at: https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/PA279Q/
~$800 tho'

The PA279Q is a wide gamut monitor which you don't need, and it suffers from really obvious overshoot ghosting which even shows up and ruins normal desktop use. It's an 800$ embarrassment and the Dell U2713H suffers from the same ghosting.

You can ask about different monitors in here instead of Googling reviews, but they are all worse than the ones on my list or have not been reviewed. The HP ZR2740W is an exception.

Lack of OSD is no issue imho, you can do minor color tweaks in your OS color settings if needed. It is pretty spot-on out of the box. It has no scaler, no HDMI input, and does not play well with consoles. But no scaler also means low input lag.

Looking at the Asus PA279Q... with 99% Adobe RGB... ~$800 tho'
Looks nice if you are into tweaking, but honestly you are going to want to run it in sRGB mode so paying +$400 for a wide gamut panel seems a bit of a waste.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like this thread is recommending the HP ZR2740w. Hmm...have had a few issues with HP and their support (for me) has been a hassle.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like this thread is recommending the HP ZR2740w. Hmm...have had a few issues with HP and their support (for me) has been a hassle.

The ZR2740w is part of their business line which has very different support compared to their consumer products.

It seems like there are a couple of potential issues with the HP.

1) NCX replied in the ZR2740w thread that it has more ghosting than other panels. This could be an issue...not sure.

2) Poor QC on power supply causing some units to die. This shouldn't be an issue if you buy a new one with warranty.

3) Users in early 2012 reported that there is a dark stripe on the bottom of the panel due to how the LED backlighting is done. I'm not sure if this is still an issue with the newer revisions. http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038395460&postcount=222

4) No OSD and scalar. As austinpike mentioned it shouldn't be a huge issue since out of the box colors are good. Some have reported it works on consoles if you force the console to output 720p only.

5) It's outdated/discontinued. HP released the new Z series 27 inch with USB 3.0 ports, a scalar and OSD. There's a Russian review of the monitor out there that didn't seem too impressed with it though.

On the bright side the panel coating was updated to semi gloss, it's cheaper than most 27", comes with a good warranty if bought new and seems to be free of other defects (cross hatching, overshoot, high input lag, poor factory calibration etc)

I've actually been thinking about getting one myself to replace my Achieva Shimian. My Shimian has been nice for the resolution but it has fake backlight controls (crushed contrast), poor out of the box colors, and some uniformity issues. I'm not a big fan of the glossy bezels either.

Lack of OSD is no issue imho, you can do minor color tweaks in your OS color settings if needed. It is pretty spot-on out of the box. It has no scaler, no HDMI input, and does not play well with consoles. But no scaler also means low input lag.

Looks nice if you are into tweaking, but honestly you are going to want to run it in sRGB mode so paying +$400 for a wide gamut panel seems a bit of a waste.

Tweaking? Based on what I saw you select either sRGB or Adobe RGB and that's it. Certainly don't want to waste ~$400 but if it's good as the specs and reviews. I tend to have things for a while and take care of them so was thinking it may be worth it. Unless I'm missing something. Waste of money...maybe.

Look at how much the retail version of the HP goes for. I think my HP is one of the best monitors I have bought, the other one was a dell u2410.

Tweaking? Based on what I saw you select either sRGB or Adobe RGB and that's it. Certainly don't want to waste ~$400 but if it's good as the specs and reviews.
I just mean the Asus has an extensive menu system and lots of user control which could be nice... but then as the review noted, the preset RGBs are perfect anyway. I'm not trying to sell the HP; based on your intended usage I'm just curious what you are getting with the Asus for the extra $. (I have not looked at the reviews in depth.) If price = quality, the HP retailed at $700 and only recently dropped as it is discontinued. With regard to warranty, as mentioned, once you get to the right department the pro support on the Z products is quite good. (granted HP -consumer- support is abysmal.)

imho when it comes to the 27" IPS panels, even the "cheap" ones are pretty damn good and it's really only at the pointy end of the gaming stick that you need to lose sleep over it. Personally I'd be shopping Korean knock-offs as a hold-over until decent 4K in the next year or two.

The PA279Q's sRGB mode has locked color controls (so does the U2713H), can only cover 90% of the sRGB color space which is on par with 140$ IPS panels (embarrassing) and it suffers from really obvious overshoot ghosting. The modes (User 1 & User 2) with unlocked color controls use the displays native, wide gamut. Even if one needed a wide gamut monitor the PA279Q is still a bad choice since the VP2772 only costs 100$ more and is much better for all around use.

The ZR2740W and the Qnix/X-Star's, Crossover 2720MDP, ect, curb stomp the PA279Q for multi-media use.

I've been using a Dell Ultrasharp 20.1" LCD for years. Probably 2002 I would guess. Been using a 27" (new) Thunderbolt at work (set to 2560 x 1440) and I truly appreciate the effect is has on my eyes. I want the larger space to work with but I've been putting off for too long. Actually I want a touch screen with 2560x1440 but haven't been to pumped about anything I've seen. I like the Dell 27" but it's not WQHD. I don't care for the Acer that's out as it won't work with my desk. So, I've starting seriously looking at replacing my OLD Dell and moving on.

The PA279Q's sRGB mode has locked color controls (so does the U2713H), can only cover 90% of the sRGB color space which is on par with 140$ IPS panels (embarrassing) and it suffers from really obvious overshoot ghosting. The modes (User 1 & User 2) with unlocked color controls use the displays native, wide gamut. Even if one needed a wide gamut monitor the PA279Q is still a bad choice since the VP2772 only costs 100$ more and is much better for all around use.

The ZR2740W and the Qnix/X-Star's, Crossover 2720MDP, ect, curb stomp the PA279Q for multi-media use.

So you're saying the VP2772 or the ZR2740W, correct? Along with the Qnix/X-Star's and Crossover.

So you're saying the VP2772 or the ZR2740W, correct? Along with the Qnix/X-Star's and Crossover.

I think NCX was saying that if you need a wide-gamut monitor, the VP2772 is the best. It has good standard presents so it can operate well in standard gamut mode which you'll want to use for gaming, web work, and anything that isn't wide-gamut. However, if you don't need a wide-gamut monitor, it is probably best to save money and get a standard gamut monitor.

The best name-brand standard gamut monitors will be the:
BenQ BL2710PT
Viewsonic VP2770
Eizo EV2736W

The HP ZR2740W is another option that is much cheaper than the others. Most of the potential pros and cons of the HP display have already been discussed in this thread. There are also more and more showing up. Check out NCX's link he posted earlier, he has a good running list of all the recommended 1440p screens.

By the way...I'm using a PNY GT 630 video card. I'm seeing IPS and PLS in these monitors. Thought one was better than the other.

I think NCX was saying that if you need a wide-gamut monitor, the VP2772 is the best.

I strongly implied it via text :D

--------------

For multi-media use the EV2736W is much better than the VP2772 since it is glow free and the VP2772's color controls are locked unless one uses the User mode which uses the native, wide gamut.

By the way...I'm using a PNY GT 630 video card.

Time to buy a semi-decent gpu if you plan on PC gaming.

I'm seeing IPS and PLS in these monitors. Thought one was better than the other.

In terms of matte, sub 1000$ 1440p monitors with PLS panels are definitely better since most of the matte IPS suffer from coating-cross hatching and/or really obvious overshoot ghosting and there are no glow free IPS panels.

IPS win by default in terms of sub 1000$ glossy 1440p monitors since the eBay sellers raised the prices of the glossy PLS options and no one has properly tested the glossy, multi-input Qnix/X-Stars.

In theory both panel types are 99% similar but the big brand companies consistently botch their 1440p IPS monitors while all of the 1440p PLS monitors have been good.

Last edited:
Rarely do any king of gaming. Especially anything close to high-end. Walked away some time ago when I was getting my ass kicked in a Doom game some time ago. So I'm thinking the card I have (PNY GT 630 2Gb) is fine unless someone sees something off.

Having a tough time making a choice. The Eizo (apparently German?) is IPS and not PLS so why spend that much? Sorry, getting a bit confused by all the options but I want everyone to know I do appreciate there feedback as that's what I was asking for. I'll probably have it for a while so I'm trying to stay flexible on price.

I would say this is probably the order in which I do things
  1. surfing (encompasses most below)
  2. reading (a lot)
  3. video
  4. creating (web sites, editing photos..some multimedia creation)
  5. gaming

I would have thought but according to their own site it says IPS: http://www.eizo.com/global/products/flexscan/ev2736w/#tab02 (click on the specs tab)

You are going to find that companies use PLS and IPS interchangeably. Many companies call their monitors IPS but they actually uses a PLS panels. IPS is just a more commonly known name. I have found many conflicting reports on exactly what the Eizo uses, but I've heard it uses a PLS panel.

I personally just recieved the Viewsonic VP2770 and I'm in the process of reviewing it. It also uses a PLS panel.

I'm in the same situation as you. I buy a monitor once every 7-8 years, so I wanted it to be very good. Most of the monitors NCX recommends are going to be great for your needs.

Any recommended places to buy from? Seeing B&H, NewEgg, ebay (ie: Beach Audio) and others. 1Sale had that Viewsonic for $449 (refurb or course).

Places with hassle free return and exchange policies (Amazon, B & H, Buy, Best Buy, Microcenter, ect...I don't live in the US) which should be read before buying. IPS LED Monitors sells the matte Qnix/X-Star and has a 14 day return policy.

Currently thinking the Eizo or Viewsonic. Spotted the Eizo for $825 on Adorama.

Currently thinking the Eizo or Viewsonic. Spotted the Eizo for $825 on Adorama.

That EV2736w is a real winner it seems like. Adorama can be shady sometimes, I have heard. NCX--how the fk are they coming up with the glow free IPS panels? LG fine-tooth comb binning them? Is this the only option for a pretty guaranteed noGLOW IPS/PLS?

NCX--how the fk are they coming up with the glow free IPS panels? LG fine-tooth comb binning them? Is this the only option for a pretty guaranteed noGLOW IPS/PLS?

Samsung makes PLS panels and there are no official reports about glow free PLS panels or educated speculation about how Samsung reduced the glow.

It is possible to get a used 2490 or Dream Color with A-TW polarizers for under 1000$ but both use grainy matte coatings and are a waste of money unless calibrated.

The EV2736W is the only new, glow free monitor under 1000$ since the matte Qnix/X-Star can use 3 different panels (glow free and no LED PWM dimming, normal glow with PWM and normal glow without PWM), though PWM free panels seem to be more common since almost no one has reported seeing flicker or experience health related issues in the giant OCN thread.

Last edited:
So the Eizo has this great feature. When does it come in handy while using it? Also, do these features last long or do they wear out out or fail at some point since they are new concepts (if you will).

I have to admit I do like the look of Samsung's up-line.

Samsung makes PLS panels and there are no official reports about glow free PLS panels or educated speculation about how Samsung reduced the glow.

It is possible to get a used 2490 or Dream Color with A-TW polarizers for under 1000$ but both use grainy matte coatings and are a waste of money unless calibrated.

The EV2736W is the only new, glow free monitor under 1000$ since the matte Qnix/X-Star can use 3 different panels (glow free and no LED PWM dimming, normal glow with PWM and normal glow without PWM), though PWM free panels seem to be more common since almost no one has reported seeing flicker or experience health related issues in the giant OCN thread.

I have read bunches of reviews stating the ev2736w is an IPS panel. I would have assumed it was PLS because I have the idea PLS is better but they both tend to glow. I'm hopeful about the AOC but I'm seeing huge discrepancies about contrast ratio on it. One German review said 280:1 another says 900:1.

So the Eizo has this great feature. When does it come in handy while using it? Also, do these features last long or do they wear out out or fail at some point since they are new concepts (if you will).
The feature is probably some sort of polarizer that gets rid of THIS horrible and super common problem with almost ALL IPS/PLS panels:
IMG_0201_zpsc76885ec.jpg~original

This is a standard Korean Multi-input S-IPS. This isn't even as bad as I've seen. Sometimes it's worse--even on some of Eizo's models like the EV2336.

And HERE: is the Eizo EV2736w to compare:
eizo2736w_zpse5384300.jpg~original

That is a great feature, but I suspect it's not new, it's just expensive and manufacturer's haven't been doing it, because consumers are eating up glowing IPS/PLS panels like it's not an issue. I guess for a lot of people, it's not. For me--at the intensity above, it's pretty much torture.

Last edited:
Viewsonic VP2772 seems like a real winner for ARGB. You need a special graphics card for wide gamut stuff though. The vp2772 is cool because it can do both roles of standards and wide gamut well.

Back