Better memory stick types

carlmart

Gawd
Which are considered the best memory sticks nowadays?

My last corsair 2 x 4Gb sticks on my desktop didn't last long. One is already out, and the other I think is causing errors, because I had problems with my Windows installed on a Crucial SSD, so I don't think the errors are from the drive, as it might be on an HDD.

Corsair is asking me to send both sticks, not just one, but I decided to buy a new memory.

It's DDR3, and I will go for 2 x 8Gb sticks.

Recommended ones in Newegg are G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series. But I don't know if that is the right one for me, in latency and other specs.

Can anyone give me some guidelines on what to look for?

Which are considered the best memory sticks nowadays?

My last corsair 2 x 4Gb sticks on my desktop didn't last long. One is already out, and the other I think is causing errors, because I had problems with my Windows installed on a Crucial SSD, so I don't think the errors are from the drive, as it might be on an HDD.

Corsair is asking me to send both sticks, not just one, but I decided to buy a new memory.

It's DDR3, and I will go for 2 x 8Gb sticks.

Recommended ones in Newegg are G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series. But I don't know if that is the right one for me, in latency and other specs.

Can anyone give me some guidelines on what to look for?

fuck corsair, this is the shit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231628 running mine at 7-8-7-24 @1600mhz at default voltage for almost two years.

fuck corsair, this is the shit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231628 running mine at 7-8-7-24 @1600mhz at default voltage for almost two years.

G.Skill RAM rocks!

I have this set, which has looks to have a lot lower profile heat spreaders and from the reviews on both and my experience with them, I am betting that these will run at 1600 at the same or tighter timings than the 1600 set.

And they are slightly cheaper as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231571

A note about Corsair RAM. I tried out a set from them a while back for a work laptop and one stick ended up being faulty. I ordered a Kingston set while waiting on RMA for the Corsair set and it worked great. The replacement set of Corsair stuff seems to work ok, but I really don't trust it as that is not the first time that the same exact thing has happened to me.

i really doubt that, as in no way in hell it will run @ 1600mhz cl7, not at 1.5v anyway

Going to test it when I get home.

I was looking at the reviews of the 1600 set and it looks like to overclock it to the same amount that the 2133 set runs at stock, it requires even higher voltage to get the same speed and timings.

http://www.overclockers.com/gskill-16gb-tridentx-ddr3-1600-cl7-memory-kit-review/

Edit, yep, it will do the stock TridentX 1600 settings at 1.5v
aida1600.png

cpu_z_1600.png

Note: I did not do any stress tests on it, but this shows it should run. I also didn't tweak the sub-timings and they should be able to go way tighter than I had them set when running at 2388. The stock sub-timings are way looser than they can be.
This is also running quad channel.

What are the stock sub timings on the Trident X set?

Last edited:
No worried or interested in OC, either for memory or CPU. Just plain normal, unstressed use.

It seems G.Skill leads the way and it's the one to buy. The question is which one.

No worried or interested in OC, either for memory or CPU. Just plain normal, unstressed use.

It seems G.Skill leads the way and it's the one to buy. The question is which one.

If you are not going to be doing any overclocking, then get the set that has the tightest timings for the speed your system supports without overclocking.

What is your motherboard and processor?

I should be buying everything new for this setup.

Mobo should be an Asus Maximus VI Hero, and still undecided whether to go for an i5-4690K or some i7. Price difference on the latter is considerable.

Which should be the tightest limits to go for?

Ok, so the 4690k and the other processors of the same generation support DDR3 1600 as the fastest stock speed. Since you say you are not planning on overclocking (a shame really) go with the Trident X set that D4rkn3ss suggested.

It will be the fastest stock 1600 set besides a Corsair set that has the same specs but is $90 more.

I am pretty sure you will still have to go into the BIOS and tell it to use the XMP profile so it will run at 1600, but that is standard practice.

Back