Picking a new supply

carlmart

Gawd
I'm assembling a new desktop, and I've looked at Newegg's better reviewed by customers models.

I think 750W is a good capacity figure, and I picked this model as a promising one:

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 750W

Do you recommend a different type or model?

I do not use a hungry graphic card, which is what usually needs more power, but I do use at least 6 or more HDDs.

CPU will be new, but I don't think it's demanding: Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core.

Any comments?

Carlos

I prefer Corsair units, but EVGA should be just fine. 750 should give you plenty of head room to run for years, barring piles of graphics being added in later.

Decided to google between the hx750 and the supernova there, they look pretty similar, but also seems this forum far more prefers the EVGA units.

Last edited:
Your chosen PSU reviewed very well on JonnyGuru. I see it's $110 on newegg at the moment, and still beating the Seasonic KM3 750W on price ($130 on newegg).

Corsair's PSU department is unfortunately not what it used to be, so I just look at Seasonic PSUs these days.

Your chosen PSU reviewed very well on JonnyGuru. I see it's $110 on newegg at the moment, and still beating the Seasonic KM3 750W on price ($130 on newegg).

Corsair's PSU department is unfortunately not what it used to be, so I just look at Seasonic PSUs these days.

+1 for the EVGA G2.
This Leadex-based platform, besides the excellent reviews, it has one of the lowest number of reports for failure/malfunction among Newegg's customers.
So, i totally recommend it (*and bought one of these units for my brother's pc as well ;) )!

My go-to units are typically
Seasonic X
Seasonic Platinum
Corsair AX
Cooler Master V
Rosewill Capstone Modular (when priced like a fire sale)

Specifically what GPU are you looking to use?

6 hard drives aren't going to use more than 80 watts. 10 watts a hard drive is a good, safe estimate. Western Digital Black 7200 RPM drives typically consume 10-11 watts at most. Slower drives will use less, as well as SSDs. And when they are idling without the motor spinning, they use next to nothing.

Your 4690K overclocked will use at most 150-180 watts. At stock, it's going to be under 80 watts. The fans, motherboard, etc, use under 100 watts. A GPU will be anywhere from 125-175 watts for a mid-range card to 250+ for a high end one. If you're looking at a mid-range GPU, with an overclocked 4690k, you're really only looking at ~500 watts for your system.

I have been running this exact supply now for six months without a single issue. Very well made, it is pushing an overclocked 4690, GTX 980, and 1 ssd and 3 hard drives.

just reading the review...if i was in the market this unit looks very appealing....dam near no ripple at all when checking with the o scopes....thats got to be very healthy for your expensive parts:) and the hook ups look well labeled and organised and better than average...and if i understand it correctly its 87% efficient at 858.9Watts....not bad for being labeled for 750 watts:D

^^ Exactly :/​

I typically look for Seasonic built units (all of the ones below are quality units by Seasonic)

650's
Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2
Corsair TX650M
Seasonic X-650 (SS-650KM3 Active PFC F3)
XFX Pro Series Black XPS-650W-3XB (P1-650X-XXB9)
Seasonic Platinum-660 (SS-660XP2 Active PFC F3)​

700's
Cooler Master VRS-700-AFBA-G1
Corsair CMPSU-750AX
XFX Pro Series Black XPS-750W-3XB (P1-750X-XXB9)
XFX Pro Series Black P1-750B-NLG9
Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2
Corsair TX750M
Seasonic X-750 (SS-750KM3 Active PFC F3)
Corsair AX760​

Reference

^^ Exactly :/​
I typically look for Seasonic built units (all of the ones below are quality units by Seasonic)
650's
Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2
Corsair TX650M
Seasonic X-650 (SS-650KM3 Active PFC F3)
XFX Pro Series Black XPS-650W-3XB (P1-650X-XXB9)
Seasonic Platinum-660 (SS-660XP2 Active PFC F3)​
700's
Cooler Master VRS-700-AFBA-G1
Corsair CMPSU-750AX
XFX Pro Series Black XPS-750W-3XB (P1-750X-XXB9)
XFX Pro Series Black P1-750B-NLG9
Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2
Corsair TX750M
Seasonic X-750 (SS-750KM3 Active PFC F3)
Corsair AX760​
Reference

You forgot the Seasonic G series, the EVGA GS series and the XFX XTR series ;)
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/10/30/seasonic_gseries_g750_power_supply_review/#.VRuMBOEghgw
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=414
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/XFX/XTR650/

Last edited:
Would any of those be better than the EVGA?

See the Jonnyguru review of the EVGA GS in Sith'ari's post: "If the store's out of stock on the G2 models, you now have no excuse to not buy an EVGA." In this thread, it's noted that the XFX XTR improves on the Seasonic G series with a better fan. They're all good choices so look at prices and warranties.

I can vouch for the EVGA as well. I bought mine around 6+ months ago based on the stellar reviews and $100 shipped price and it's performed flawlessly, no complaints. At the time it was one of the best power supplies on the market and was the best dollar for dollar.

I agree with an earlier post tho that 750 might be overkill for you depending on which GPU(s) you go with and a 650 or 550 would be a better fit. But there's nothing wrong with PSU overkill and the EVGA is hard to beat.

And here I've used corsair for years, what is this about then going down in quality?

It's more like while their high end PSUs are still top notch, their budget/value PSUs are dropping in quality. Corsair is no longer a brand where you can get any of their PSUs and know that it will pass [H]OCP and JonnyGuru testing.

Which of their lines are considered the high end lines? I have an hx (i believe) that's only like 2 years old.

Back