BenQ GW2470H - Questions, Answers, Opinions - Everything GW2470H related

**MaRVeL**

Weaksauce
Rather than have countless posts about this monitor or littering up the VA monitor thread with unrelated chatter, I thought that it would be worth having a thread dedicated to the BenQ GW2470H. Therefore if you have a question, a concern or an opinion......or if you notice something which might be of benefit to other GW2470 users then post it to this thread:

I received my GW2470H on Friday and I am trying to decide whether to keep it.......

I just bought it. My initial reactions are posted in a-mva topic.
The screen looks nice but the ghosting is very significant and finish quality is very bad. (like bad plastic mold)

Ghosting (25 brightness, ama high, default standard settings)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNFRmqA912M
Premium ama helps in this case a bit but makes other games worse. Difficult to get rid of red trail tho.

Bad plastic finish (althoug might be my bad luck)
http://imgur.com/a/xKMLU

Overall I think the screen looks impressive. Blacks too. But I am now tempted to send it back and get iiyama (very interested in comparison to iiyamax2483hsu)
Also, the stand is super wobbly and I hae bad finished plastic on it too. Although it has vesa holes so any other stand can be used

Yes, I think that you got a poor quality finish on your monitor with that bezel as mine is okay, matt as it is supposed to be. Mine is Rev 00-005-AA. Judging by your posts and testing I would guess ours are both from a close batch as mine has problems displaying dark colours (greys) with only from No. 6 visible no matter what settings I use. Apart from that it is okay. Uniformity is fairly good, a slightly different colour on the right side when viewing white which I have been using M$ Paint in full screen.

The blurring/ghosting is not good. Moving windows shows a trail but that is no different to any LCD monitor that I have seen so far. I did visit a shop before purchasing and all the displays that I could test, a limited amount, showed trails while dragging windows.

I'm a CRT man so this is all very noticeable to me as I have never experienced such things before. I have always been wary of LCD screens after seeing some terrible examples of ghosting and blurring on them in the past. Watching a demo of a skier going down a mountain from a distance showed a very bad trail which at the time made me laugh it was so bad.

The stand is hopeless but I was aware of that anyway. Virtually no adjustment possible which means investing in a replacement stand if you want anything more than tilt adjustment.

BTW before I opened the box, I noticed that there were two sets of tape on the one end. A wide BenQ tape with "BenQ" logo far apart, this seals both ends of the box but on the one side there is another tape which is narrower over the top of the wider tape and has much more dense BenQ logos. I stopped before opening it as I wondered why this was. I am not sure whether BenQ opens the boxes to check or replace power cords etc or whether it has been returned to BenQ.

The screen is pretty decent except for the poor gamma and low grey colour definition. No BLB and light near the edges of the screen is even with no visible bright spots. For me it's just the poor black levels that are an issue ATM.

Hey MaRVel ?
Does Your GW2470h also have red trial tint like that I posted above ?

Is this around the play character? I'm not sure how I could verify this as your video only shows what your screen displays. Presumably this is a game? I don't have that game and I don't play games on my system, I only use it for video encoding and graphics applications so unless there is an online video demo of some kind, then I don't see how I could test it.

Oh sorry. Its a video game. Binding of isaac afterbirth. I just filmed my screen. A character moves around static background. All bland colors. And the character leaves red ghosting trail whilst it disnt on ips.

mmmm you say that it does not do it on IPS displays? Have you seen any IPS screens for comparison or are you going by what people say?

For me I think I need something much closer to a CRT level of responsiveness. I am not pleased with the ghosting/blurring and trails. That is in addition to the the lousy gamma and loss of dark detail which is just too much of a compromise. I suppose it was expecting too much for such a cheap screen. The question is what next? I do not want a TN panel so I guess that means some form of IPS screen.

mmmm you say that it does not do it on IPS displays? Have you seen any IPS screens for comparison or are you going by what people say?

For me I think I need something much closer to a CRT level of responsiveness. I am not pleased with the ghosting/blurring and trails. That is in addition to the the lousy gamma and loss of dark detail which is just too much of a compromise. I suppose it was expecting too much for such a cheap screen. The question is what next? I do not want a TN panel so I guess that means some form of IPS screen.

One user told me that iiyama x2483hsu is ghosting a bit less and without red tint to the trail. Nos sure about other parameters of that screen.
As for responisveness of gw2470h, its very good. I played some doom3 multiplayer yesterday and had no problem whatsoever. It was very pleasant experience. Instant response at least in my opinion. I even got used to ghosting heh

Try viewing a webpage such as ***This*** with white text on a black/dark background and scroll the screen........gross flicker!

no problems on this page with the xb2483hsu
try scrolling through this one, it is full of black to dark grey transitons:
http://orig03.deviantart.net/494a/f...fiction_spaceships_by_dirkloechel-d6lfgdf.jpg

here I get some darkening around the edges of the spaceships, its noticeable but I'd say it does not loose more than 5% of brightness while in motion (at 60hz)
if the gw2470h is really so much slower then this picture should be jarring

Last edited:
I don't know why you are seeing red on so many different things. Your panel must have some issue because I have not seen any red in any of the places that you have noticed it. Flicker and ghosting yes but nothing predominately red.

iiyama x2483hsu is ghosting noticeably in games like fifa 16, where camera moves from one side to the other, especially when you play fast ball :) In Issac no red tint and little ghosting compared to fifa which is a ghostingfest on probably all amvas lcds.
I was told in other topic that this flickering is AMVA "feature" and from watching my friends monitors(tn's) they have similar flickering but less noticeable.

Thanks haka3l, that does put things into perspective and might make it clearer that it's the tech which is at fault rather than individual monitors. VA panels are known to have slower response times so are not ideal when it comes to movement. The greater the demands made upon them with movement and the worse it shows itself and I don't think that any manufacturer can perform "magic" to prevent the problem. AMVA+ are meant to be better in this respect but they are still very limited IMO. Great for stationary pictures but are fairly poor for displaying movement.

That webpage I linked earlier shows flickering worse if I middle click and slowly drag my mouse to do a slow scroll. Then it flickers like mad. Doing the same on that starship image shows a similar problem. However, scrolling via cursor keys does not show it very well because it is not smooth enough scrolling.

My display colour settings also affect it, if I have low blue light modes on then the flickering gets very bad, the same if I lower the blue channel in monitor display options. It causes a bad strobbing flicker effect on the text.

Last edited:
@HiCZoK

You mentioned using a gamma setting of 2 or 3?

When I use anything other than 1 the dark grey reproduction gets poorer and as I increase the gamma setting the grey colour reproduction gets worse as the setting is increased.

Have you noticed a similar effect on the grey level reproduction? Increasing gamma results in darker colours disappearing into black.

Gamma setting 3 is too dark
1 is too bland. washed out
2 looks ok imo. Only crushed a little bit but better than washed 1

To me 1 is okay and it is meant to be closer to gamma 2.2......I think that I will break my i1 Display Pro out of it's box and test this monitor as it looks like I do not have much choice other than a W-LED panel.

I will do some testing when I can find some time, I am expecting some cables on Thursday. At least that will give some idea on the output of my display so I know how far out it is. However I do intend returning it as the blurring is just too great for my tastes.

BTW did you *This* review of that Iiyama xb2483hsu monitor? It also has some response times for it.

They also tested the X24 quite some time later, still B1 version though.
http://uk.hardware.info/comparisontable/products/197766-197721
Brightness uniformity and response times are slightly better, but measured contrast is bit lower. Maybe firmware revision or panel variance?

Pretty sure Malinkadink used a colorimeter to calibrate the Gw2470h for BT.1886 gamma and got rid of black crush.

I have eliminated the black crush which was fairly easy but the pixel response times are very difficult to improve. Maybe marginally through calibration but not to any really noticeable degree. It still blurs like hell which really bothers me. I like that there is zero BLB, the dE, at least so far, is not too brilliant but I might be able to improve that a little with better calibration. I just don't think that a VA panel is going to do it for me TBH. I need something which is much closer to a CRT type performance without all this blurring every time I scroll anything, move anything such as windows or look at anything but stationary pictures. I work a lot with video and this just is not going to be good enough for my uses. It's a pity because the dual hdmi would of been useful when using two PC's.....multiple networked PC's provide faster video encoding. Two monitors would of been useful but I would need them both connected to two PC's.

Probably >90% of the blurring you see is caused by LCD sample&hold in combination with low (60hz) refresh rate, not the pixel response times.
You need Strobing/ULMB to get CRT like display persistence.
Otherwise higher refresh rate is the only thing you can do to reduce the persistence a bit, and the GW2470H appears to be quite overclock-happy.
But if you're used to CRT the 10-20% reduction in blurring won't nearly be enough.

Thank you for the information.....Sounds like I should have a go at overclocking it and see how far it goes. Where did you read about the GW2470H overclocking?

Currently I am using a nVidia GT240 ATM, I swapped out the old HD3850 that I had installed. Therefore I guess that I need to setup a new display mode to increase the display frequency. Do you know of any guides on doing that? It might prove useful information for anyone who reads this thread if I can test it to see how high I can get it. ;)

[EDIT] No problem, easy enough in nVidia control pane.......currently 75Hz. :) But still some bad flicker when the screen is scrolled in particular ways. :(

Last edited:
87Hz was the limit, anything above that and the GW2470H showed out of range.

I can see that the text looks different, not as sharp. The characters look thicker. I have increased the sharpness to max which helps a bit but it still does not look as sharp as it did at 60Hz.

I will have to see how much of a difference it makes.......

The text I was referring to was on the nvidia control panel resolution page, further testing reveals everything is normal upto and including 79Hz, which it is running at ATM. It's when it hit 80Hz that the text begins to become less sharp and distinct.

The lowest it would go was 33Hz, below that it shows out of range. BTW this is all using the auto settings with only the frequency being adjusted. Manual adjustment MIGHT get more by keeping the pixel clock lower. For me 79Hz is probably where I will stay for now.

Gamma setting 3 is too dark
1 is too bland. washed out
2 looks ok imo. Only crushed a little bit but better than washed 1

No flickering and ghosting at all on iiyama xb2483hsu-b2, while it was both flickering and ghosting on benq. the difference is almost unbelivable considering it seems to be the same panel.

I have eliminated the black crush which was fairly easy but the pixel response times are very difficult to improve. Maybe marginally through calibration but not to any really noticeable degree. It still blurs like hell which really bothers me. I like that there is zero BLB, the dE, at least so far, is not too brilliant but I might be able to improve that a little with better calibration. I just don't think that a VA panel is going to do it for me TBH. I need something which is much closer to a CRT type performance without all this blurring every time I scroll anything, move anything such as windows or look at anything but stationary pictures. I work a lot with video and this just is not going to be good enough for my uses. It's a pity because the dual hdmi would of been useful when using two PC's.....multiple networked PC's provide faster video encoding. Two monitors would of been useful but I would need them both connected to two PC's.

Do you mind sharing the settings and/or profile you ended up with? I've got 2 of these straddling a GW2765HT, and trying to get them to play nice could be quite the challenge :)

Last edited:
My monitor is terrible. Appalling colour with red very very low which means to get things closer I have to dramatically change the settings which means it is unlikely to correspond with your monitors. I have had to lower the green and blue channels to try and compensate for the low red. This destroys the contrast making it not much better than an IPS panel :( I've tried everything to attempt to correct things, adjusting the hue, saturation, RGB but nothing improves things markedly. It tends to make the dE increase by quite a lot. It's a crap panel which I am about to send back as soon as I can make a decision on a replacement.

I have a colorimeter i1Display Pro but it will not perform the miracles which are needed with this panel. The colour is so bad that I do not think that any profile I construct is going to work with your displays due to the bad colour on my panel. The only positive about it is that there is no BLB. Terrible blurring, absolutely terrible which is something that I just cannot tolerate as it is such a distraction to me. My eyes are drawn to it every time the screen scrolls or anything moves.

I am going to try an IPS type panel as they should deal with movement much better than these crap VA panels.

I am very short on time ATM as I have to make a decision in the next day or two at most. If you have a suggestion AFTER I have made a decision and started everything in motion in regard to returning this one and ordering a replacement, the other way around, order the replacement and return this one, then give me any suggestions providing it is not going to take me lots of time. I could set my monitor to defaults, lower brightness to your desired level and profile the monitor but as I said, with the poor colour I doubt it will be very usable to you.

60hz blur is 60hz blur, I'm not sure a different panel type will make such a huge difference.
Get the fastest 60hz IPS and you'll get rid of the flicker problem and some faint ghosting trails, but the main problem with blurring will remain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0jlXUpG32Y

If you want real improvement try the cheapest 144hz IPS i.e. the MG279Q, or else one of the more expensive ones with backlight strobing. It also has solid color accuracy afaik, especially after calibration.

My monitor is terrible. Appalling colour with red very very low which means to get things closer I have to dramatically change the settings which means it is unlikely to correspond with your monitors. I have had to lower the green and blue channels to try and compensate for the low red. This destroys the contrast making it not much better than an IPS panel :( I've tried everything to attempt to correct things, adjusting the hue, saturation, RGB but nothing improves things markedly. It tends to make the dE increase by quite a lot. It's a crap panel which I am about to send back as soon as I can make a decision on a replacement.

I have a colorimeter i1Display Pro but it will not perform the miracles which are needed with this panel. The colour is so bad that I do not think that any profile I construct is going to work with your displays due to the bad colour on my panel. The only positive about it is that there is no BLB. Terrible blurring, absolutely terrible which is something that I just cannot tolerate as it is such a distraction to me. My eyes are drawn to it every time the screen scrolls or anything moves.

I am going to try an IPS type panel as they should deal with movement much better than these crap VA panels.

I am very short on time ATM as I have to make a decision in the next day or two at most. If you have a suggestion AFTER I have made a decision and started everything in motion in regard to returning this one and ordering a replacement, the other way around, order the replacement and return this one, then give me any suggestions providing it is not going to take me lots of time. I could set my monitor to defaults, lower brightness to your desired level and profile the monitor but as I said, with the poor colour I doubt it will be very usable to you.

Like I've explained. IIyama xb2483hsu-B2 gets rid of flickering and ghosting. Not sure about other issues

damn, sorry to hear that. I've basically been resetting all 3 of my screens every few days and starting from scratch. Today (or yesterday? time's a blur), I tried setting the "Color Temperature" on all 3 to "Red", and leaving the panel brightness up (50-80, depending on the monitor and input). In nVidia control panel, i have brightness set at 0. I had to play with the Gamma settings in OSD a bit (1-3, no higher), but this is the best it's been...when i run through the solid colors, almost all of them are the same color, just slightly different shades. not sure if that'll be any help color-wise, but i don't think anything i can do will help with the motion-blur.

[mini-rant]
my wife and I agreed I could get all new monitors for my office back around thanksgiving...
when I bought 3 Viewsonics (28 & 2 x 24), the colors were perfect, but I couldn't handle FHD at 28", and their QHD 27" was around $700. I like the BenQ GW2765HT, but next to the viewsonic 24's, it was blue & purples...couldn't handle that either. Now the colors are getting close, but i can feel the eye-strain coming back :(

I don't do any modern gaming, don't watch many videos on these screens, but I work from home, so I'm in front of them 8-12 hours a day, 5-7 days a week year-round. Never thought buying monitors would be so damn frustrating!

whew...steam released :)
[/end mini-rant]

-dennis

60hz blur is 60hz blur, I'm not sure a different panel type will make such a huge difference.
Get the fastest 60hz IPS and you'll get rid of the flicker problem and some faint ghosting trails, but the main problem with blurring will remain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0jlXUpG32Y

If you want real improvement try the cheapest 144hz IPS i.e. the MG279Q, or else one of the more expensive ones with backlight strobing. It also has solid color accuracy afaik, especially after calibration.
The thing is, I am not using 60Hz! I have been using 79Hz for most of the time with the BenQ but it makes no appreciable difference. The biggest problem with the BenQ for me is the strobbing and flickering effect when a webpage is scrolled. This might all be closely wrapped up with the blurring but I think that VA panels make the situation far more prominent and totally intolerable.

That MG279Q is too large for me, I would prefer 24"/25" max. I do not think that any manufacturers make high refresh rate monitors or anti blur in smaller sizes. So far I have not been able to find any which supports 120+Hz.

I might dislike IPS glow especially as I like to use dark screens but I think that I need to give one a try to find out if they do things in a way that suits me better than VA panels. If you know of any smaller IPS screens then I would appreciate knowing about them. I wanted to keep the price under £200.

This Acer Predator Z35 might do much better. It's meant to be overclockable to 200Hz:eek: It is a VA panel but UWS and far too big at 35" and far too expensive. I would prefer either 16:9 or possibly 16:10. Although I have read that some people even have issues at such high refresh rates with VA type panels.

Like I've explained. IIyama xb2483hsu-B2 gets rid of flickering and ghosting. Not sure about other issues
I doubt that it actually does because I don't think that you have tested your panels weaknesses and where it has problems. These VA panels seem to have big problems with black to grey response times and the quoted 4ms (GtG) is very misleading IMO. It's considerably greater than 4ms for black to grey/grey to black and probably closer to 30ms in reality.

What I use with white replaced with grey are my defaults and I have been using them for over 10 years with no problems before now and that is with this BenQ overclocked to 79Hz which does not improve it. AMA set to premium makes no difference.

Blue on grey with Bing search isn't too bad and scrolls reasonably smoothly and I could cope with that. However with google and a black background with white and mostly grey text it flickers AND strobes like crazy. Google defaults with a white background and standard dark blue? and black text is not blur free but no where near as bad as the black and grey.

Even scrolling the hardforum text edit box results in flicker and a strobing effect to a lesser degree. The Black to Grey/Grey to Black response time must be very poor on VA panels.

Those things I do not think that you have tested so I don't think that you can claim that your IIyama is totally free of blur and flickering.

The thing is I am fast running out of time because I have to begin the return. I really could do with ordering a replacement before I start the return. I am really lost, it took many months before I ordered the BenQ which turned out a POS.

23-25" preferably close to 24". Either Displayport or HDMI with DVI-D less desirable. Something which handles grey to black response very well and has decent colour as close to 100% sRGB as possible.

Video of my BenQ scrolling google search with a grey black background. It's on mediafire and an 144MiB Mkv file as I wanted to try and keep the quality as high as I could. The resolution is only 640x480 as that is the highest resolution that my camera will record in. It does show the strobbing and flickering effect even at the low resolution. The camera was tripod mounted and zoomed in as much as possible. The flickering is just about what I see whenever I scroll webpages with colours that AMVA handles poorly. I am fairly certain that all VA panels will do this as I have seen a number of people commenting on similar things with these type of colours.

I will repeat that I DO use these colours and have done so for a very long time because bright lights adversely affect me which is why I do not look at white screens.

Give me something to test. I will upload video. The supplied link don't work. maybe try Youtube ?

I might not be aware of some problems with iiyama but I certainly see less/no flicker in same situations, it was present on Benq.

What error are you getting with the link? [EDIT] I have not used mediafire in a long time and it looks like theymight require an account/registration in order to download. At least that is what I have read about the service on one website which might be wrong. [EDIT] Yes it is wrong, no account is required to download as I just logged out of MF and downloaded fairly quickly.

The reason I uploaded it as a video rather than use youtube is that youtube butchers video quality by re-encoding the video in order to stream and significantly lowering the quality. |When movement is an issue, preserving that movement by using a high quality encode is neccessary. That is why it is quite a large video for small resolution. I used constant quality when encoding it. youtube sucks from start to finish!

****Here**** is the same video on uptobox and ****Here**** is their streaming service uptostream.com which looks like it re-encodes so the quality will not be as good as the separate video. However , it did mean that I did not have to upload it twice as they just transfer videos to that service.

It's a flaw with VA panels and a lot of people have noticed the effects of that flaw, including people on yuoutube who noticed issues with games on VA panels.

What error are you getting with the link? [EDIT] I have not used mediafire in a long time and it looks like theymight require an account/registration in order to download. At least that is what I have read about the service on one website which might be wrong. [EDIT] Yes it is wrong, no account is required to download as I just logged out of MF and downloaded fairly quickly.

The reason I uploaded it as a video rather than use youtube is that youtube butchers video quality by re-encoding the video in order to stream and significantly lowering the quality. |When movement is an issue, preserving that movement by using a high quality encode is neccessary. That is why it is quite a large video for small resolution. I used constant quality when encoding it. youtube sucks from start to finish!

****Here**** is the same video on uptobox and ****Here**** is their streaming service uptostream.com which looks like it re-encodes so the quality will not be as good as the separate video. However , it did mean that I did not have to upload it twice as they just transfer videos to that service.

I see what You mean. How can I test it? my forum looks different

From what I have seen and read, VA panels seem to have problems with grey and black transitions with white less so. There was a video on youtube that someone commented about trees or rocks in a game. I don't remember whether it was trees or rocks but it was one or the other. They sort of disappeared as the screen scrolled/moved. I think that it was an example of grey/black transitions.

I use Proxomitron which is a web page filter, it rewrites webpages as they load. With a suitable ruleset (JDList) by default, unless I disable it, rewrites/changes white page backgrounds to a definable colour and I choose a light grey.

To test with google which now uses SSL, which Proxomitron does not work with unless a SSL certificate is installed which is a bit of a nuisance TBH. I now use Stylish Firefox/Palemoon extension and "Black Google by Panos" style which alters certain web page styles. You can get many different styles for many different websites such as search engines, ebay, amazon, facebook etc etc.

The video which shows the google search only uses that extension because Proxomitron currently does not operate on SSL pages.

You could either install that extension if you use Firefox [FF] or Palemoon [PM] browsers, you could setup a new FF/PM profile by copying the FF/PM icon on your desktop and then select properties for that copied icon. Then at the end of Target field outside the last quote/" add
-p -no-remote
click Apply and OK
Then when you start FF/PM using that icon it should prompt you with the profile window. Untick Don't ask at startup and then you can create/rename/delete any profiles that you want. So create a new profile to test Stylish extension. All settings will be totally separate from your normal profile. select the profile in the list and click Start to begin using that profile. You can then install anything you wish to test without it affecting your normal profile/history/passwords/etc etc. Afterwards you can delete the profile if you wish. Be aware that using this icon will allow you to run MULTIPLE browsers with different profiles so you can have a browser profile for doing different things such as banking, shopping, general browsing, etc etc. Each profile can have different extensions installed, different bookmarks etc. I use this a lot running all sandboxed and I have appropriate extensions installed to each different profile such as noscript, requestpolicy on a browser that needs the most defence and something like QuickJava extension in the profile that only visits banking or shopping sites. Quickjava adds buttons that allow temporarily disabling javascript, java, flash, silverlight etc.

If you do not use FF/PM you could download a portable version of FF/PM and install Stylish extension to that.

https://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-portable.shtml

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/

Styles for use with Stylish

This is the style that I used in that video for google search

Note that there are probably many other styles which use grey colours which might be a good choice to do testing.
Here is one which uses a dark grey for Facebook. I don't use facebook so I have not tested this, it might be a bit dark to show things well.

4RNxfqj.jpg

6M9DG7C.png

The replacement text on that last image is what Proxomitron uses to replace white backgrounds, changing the hex numbers alters the colour that white is replaced with.

I also like that Proxomitron with JDList can also add the time/date to the browser titlebar and then I know when I last reloaded the webpage and it also shows in the browser history which can be useful. Bookmarks also include the date/time which can also be useful so I know when they were created.

However you might get away with just using Stylish extension. It's up to you, but as I said before I believe that it is grey/black transitions which can cause problems for VA panels so anything which shows that should test it.

These are ways of testing and there are probably many others.

Dude... Thats a way of overcomplicating things :D
Just upload screenshots in png and I will scroll them to test out. Or link to a normal webpage

I did give you the best way of doing it. You didn't need to install anything or alter your settings in order for you to do the testing if you really wanted to test your monitor. I already know that AMVA is fundamentally flawed and has issues that many people have noticed. You won't be able to scroll images smoothly enough to show up the issues because a browser can smooth scroll with the middle mouse button which shows it best. Mouse wheel scrolling does not show it as effectively and cursor key scrolling is a total waste of time.

http://i.imgur.com/swID7CD.png
http://i.imgur.com/2lKftqN.png
http://i.imgur.com/viRt9x1.png
http://i.imgur.com/WuLzWsZ.png
http://i.imgur.com/KNMotWx.png

Back