A Picture I took 2016

jamsomito

2[H]4U
Happy New Year! I'll leave it up to you guys if you want to continue to separate out the "NSFW" pics. I did appreciate it when I worked in an office, and I don't take those types of photos, but I am not the majority either. Here's to many more great shots this year!

Finally got to enjoy some snow with the fam here in Michigan.

IMG_2430 by J Horton, on Flickr

P.S., I can gladly update this first post with general thread info, just let know if you wish. Link to old 2015 thread here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1847089

Very nice pic! If it wasn't Jan 1st, I'd say that thing has X-mas card written all over it. :)

Happy New Year!

click for big.

Walked up the hill to take some pics of the strip, from about 10 miles away. The horizontal lines are helicopters flying around. T2i, 100-400 L, 5 sec exposure, here's the album:

http://imgur.com/a/EndVA

Skagit river, 1/1/2016

2016_01_01-skagit-7598.jpg

2016_01_01-skagit-7746.jpg

2016_01_01-skagit-7763.jpg

Last night I went to a holiday village in Irvine Park in the town of Chippewa Falls, WI.

I enjoyed all the painted cutouts of buildings and people. A lot of individuals over the years must have spent a long time making all of them.

2016-01-01 - Christmas Village - Irvine Park WI - 1 - by Adam J Bavier.jpg

2016-01-01 - Christmas Village - Irvine Park WI - 2 - by Adam J Bavier.jpg

Excellent shots BB Gun! I actually like some of the ones from the gallery as much as the ones you posted. The one of the Eagle in flight with full wingspan was a very lucky shot. At 200mm and having that much of the frame filled he must have flown 20 feet or so over your head! Very jealous of the light as well. We'd be around 800 iso to have the same shutter speed. (It's been nothing but cloudy lately)

Do you have a lot of Eagles in the area? Or was it just a rare occurrence?

Excellent shots BB Gun!

Thanks!

Do you have a lot of Eagles in the area? Or was it just a rare occurrence?

From early December to early February, the Skagit and Nooksack rivers in Skagit county, Washington have the highest concentration of bald eagles in the lower 48.

http://www.skagiteagle.org/

Rockport, the base of operations of http://www.skagiteagles.com/ is about 1.5 hours north of me.

Took my first float trip last year, and am gonna make it a yearly occurrence.

Eagles are light this year on the Skagit, a bit heavier on the Nooksack. We only saw about 30 in the course of the 2.5 hour float on the skagit. There were about 3-4 times as many eagles last year.

If the eagles were as numerous as last year, I would probably make another trip this month, but given their low numbers, I think I'll wait 'till next year.

BB

Last edited:
Went to a marching band banquet (bro-in-law plays tuba) at the Big House tonight and snapped this pic. We were up in the box seating area. It was raining/misting and the lighting was pretty cool. Really bummed I got the reflection in the glass... never saw it through the viewfinder. Oh well, live and learn.

IMG_3287-3 by J Horton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Took this a long time ago, but finally got around to doing something with it.

Jeremiah_Bostwick_-_Candy_Shack_-_Mark_Minor_-_IMG_8166.jpg

Probably the most fun I've had in post in a while. I'm pushing my self to do more full retouches a day... and that simple process is well, almost forcing me to learn more about Photoshop. Which is fantastic.

Took a trip to the childrens museum today and had a blast.

IMG_3492 by J Horton, on Flickr

IMG_3551 by J Horton, on Flickr

IMG_3526 by J Horton, on Flickr

IMG_3377 by J Horton, on Flickr

Yoda's Apprentice by J Horton, on Flickr

EDIT: Just wanted to say that I'm feeling like I'm really understanding my camera well after a lot of practice. Obviously I still have more to learn, but it's no longer an obstacle at least. The challenge I'm finding is that shooting anything other than landscapes is really difficult in that you need to make split second decisions on framing and composition, and that's an area I need more practice for. It's far from instinctual for me yet, which is why some of these pics are juuuust not quite perfect. But I'm really happy with my shots lately, it's been a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Came in to see if the new redesigned [H] did anything weird to the picture thread: nope, still looking great!

Lots of great shots this year! I been slackin' again so far in 2016, except for a few work-related shoots I can't post here. I'm heading to Calloway Gardens in south GA sometime soon to take lots of pics at their Butterfly House. Hopefully I can get back into the swing of lots of macro work once it warms up a hair outside.

Edit - favorites of 2016 so far! Fun action shot, and some macro's I wish I took. :p

more butterflies.

Butterfly-3 by Domingo Washington, on Flickr

Butterfly-1 by Domingo Washington, on Flickr

Nice examples. I have thought about dabbling in that but I haven't yet gone through a full setup to figure out my flow. One thing I need to expose myself to (get your mind out of the gutter) is focus stacking.

Nice examples. I have thought about dabbling in that but I haven't yet gone through a full setup to figure out my flow. One thing I need to expose myself to (get your mind out of the gutter) is focus stacking.

Yeah, I have no idea how to do that either. I just installed some really bright LED lighting in my kitchen, which worked well enough. But when you get in close like that, there's no way you can get enough in focus. I ended up with some 5+ second exposures, even with a hot shoe flash unit bounced off the ceiling, because I was down at f/16 or smaller. It worked okay, but not the best.

^^
Sure I'm using a d7100 with a nikon 105 macro lens. Cowboy studio flash trigger and 2 off camera flashes. The water drop rig is a Cognisys stopshot picked up from craigslist. And 2 more for today to add...Oddly enough slow shutter speed is the key. Now just to nail down that focus...
WaterDrop-2 by Domingo Washington, on Flickr

WaterDrop by Domingo Washington, on Flickr

Ha! That's elaborate enough I doubt I'll be trying it anytime soon. Some great shots though, Dom.

Back