Multiple Sound Device Output

atom

Gawd
I have a computer hooked up as an HTPC. Sound goes out normally over HDMI to the TV. I recently acquired a set of PC 5.1 speakers that I want to use for Movies and Games. I still want to use the TV for day to day sound. Does anyone know a way to get Windows to use both sound devices? I don't want to keep switching the default in the control panel. I would like the convenience of just flipping on the speakers when I want too.

Edit: forgot to mention Windows 10

Last edited:
Unless something has changed (in Win10), no. You can only have one default device used as output. Windows won't switch unless it's disconnected, which I don't see happening in this situation.

The default audio can only be one.
But most of the software, allows you to change the sound output and switch to different devices.
So for example you can set up VLC to output to TV via HDMI while games and regular apps use a default 5.1 audio device.

The default audio can only be one.
But most of the software, allows you to change the sound output and switch to different devices.
So for example you can set up VLC to output to TV via HDMI while games and regular apps use a default 5.1 audio device.

If that doesn't work, try Virtual Audio Cable.

Back