Which speed memory for skylake?

Blackhood

n00b
Hey guys. I will be getting a I7-6700 (non k) when it is released. Which speed DDR 4 to get? Should I just get 2133? Or something higher? Would skylake benefit from a higher speed?

Thanks for any insight.

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 2133 are $54
2400 is $57
2666 is $59
2800 is $62
3000 is $74

So I would personally spend the extra $8 get 2800 and odds are at worst you could run them at 2666 without having to do any special tweaking. It will be a small boost in speed rand it will be better quality chips rated to run faster and the cost difference is almost nothing

For gaming, a minimum of 2666 mhz is recommended. For office type work, it really doesn't matter.

According to [H]OCP's testing of Skylake, there are relatively large performance penalties (greater than 5%) using memory slower than 2666 MHz. From 2666 MHz to the fastest memory they tested, the performance difference was less than 5% if I recall correctly. Also, 2666-3000 MHz DDR4 currently appears to have the best $/GB.

According to [H]OCP's testing of Skylake, there are relatively large performance penalties (greater than 5%) using memory slower than 2666 MHz. From 2666 MHz to the fastest memory they tested, the performance difference was less than 5% if I recall correctly. Also, 2666-3000 MHz DDR4 currently appears to have the best $/GB.

your on point but the site was actually legit reviews

http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-memory-scaling-intel-z170-finding-the-best-ddr4-memory-kit-speed_170340

Hey guys. I will be getting a I7-6700 (non k) when it is released. Which speed DDR 4 to get? Should I just get 2133? Or something higher? Would skylake benefit from a higher speed?

Thanks for any insight.

Stay away from anything lower than 2666 on ddr4 memory the latency penalties on hard and only can be made up through bandwidth. Running 3200mhz on Z170 + Skylake is like running 2133 on sandy and ivy.

Yes HardOCP's reviews did show games being notably faster as long as you have at least 2666. I'd say buy up as fast as you can go before the RAM becomes a major premium.

The Ripjaw V 3000 or 3200 should get you great performance without breaking the bank.

If you intend to run more than 16GB, be aware that especially with the Ripjaw V you may find it impossible to run the RAM at it's rated timings with a 32GB kit. With a lot of tuning the best compromise I could arrange with the Ripjaw 3000 15-15-15 kit was 15-18-18-36 @ 3200Mhz.

Now mind you, that's still pretty spectacular for 32GB of relatively cheap DDR4 but I just can't get it running at 15-15-15 even at 3000 with all 32GB installed. It will do it at 2666 or 2700, but I get a better overall result bumping the clock to 3200 and having the primary CAS at 15.

These are normal issues for the Skylake memory controllers and motherboards.

I'm still SUPER happy with it. It's around 10% +/- faster than my 4790k was at the same clock speeds.

the Ripjaw V 3000 run at 1.35v -> it makes ram hotter.

why not choose Ripjaw V 2800 run at 1.25v.

the Ripjaw V 3000 run at 1.35v -> it makes ram hotter.

why not choose Ripjaw V 2800 run at 1.25v.

I'm running 3200mhz 1.35 and my memory feels at touch like room temp very cool, so I wouldn't take 1.25 vs 1.35 even into consideration if picking memory.

I went with the 16gb TridentZ 3200 kit and have been quite happy with it. It was at a decent price point (now $130) and as a previous member mentioned, 3200Mhz seemed to be the sweet spot for skylake and anything higher was a moot point. Coincidentally, tridentZ 3400 is quite a bit more expensive so that helped to narrow my choice.

I went with the 16gb TridentZ 3200 kit and have been quite happy with it. It was at a decent price point (now $130) and as a previous member mentioned, 3200Mhz seemed to be the sweet spot for skylake and anything higher was a moot point. Coincidentally, tridentZ 3400 is quite a bit more expensive so that helped to narrow my choice.

I bought the 32gb Tridentz 3200 kit. REALLY nice RAM.

This would have been my pick, but I got a combo deal and tridentz were not available for purchase yet

This is my THIRD set of RAM just for this build. I haven't Memtested yet but I'm coming up on 3 hours of Realbench and I'm getting confident my nightmare build is finally good. I just installed a new 6700k and this RAM a few hours ago. Previously RMA'd Kingston RAM and Corsair Dominators.

I think I'm a G.Skill person for life now. I have G.Skill DDR4 V in my HTPC build and those worked perfectly out of the box. So far I've never had a dead stick of G.Skill but lots of dead sticks of other brands.

I'm never buying Corsair again, every set I get fails memtest. It's insane.

Yes HardOCP's reviews did show games being notably faster as long as you have at least 2666. I'd say buy up as fast as you can go before the RAM becomes a major premium.

The Ripjaw V 3000 or 3200 should get you great performance without breaking the bank.

If you intend to run more than 16GB, be aware that especially with the Ripjaw V you may find it impossible to run the RAM at it's rated timings with a 32GB kit. With a lot of tuning the best compromise I could arrange with the Ripjaw 3000 15-15-15 kit was 15-18-18-36 @ 3200Mhz.

Now mind you, that's still pretty spectacular for 32GB of relatively cheap DDR4 but I just can't get it running at 15-15-15 even at 3000 with all 32GB installed. It will do it at 2666 or 2700, but I get a better overall result bumping the clock to 3200 and having the primary CAS at 15.

These are normal issues for the Skylake memory controllers and motherboards.

I'm still SUPER happy with it. It's around 10% +/- faster than my 4790k was at the same clock speeds.

The RAM frequency problems you are having is probably more likely to do with your CPU than the RAM itself. I've read a LOT about Skylake and ram issues over the past 3 weeks.

Yep, remember Intel does not officially support any speed over 2133 mhz. Any RAM speed above that is an overclock and not guaranteed.

The RAM frequency problems you are having is probably more likely to do with your CPU than the RAM itself. I've read a LOT about Skylake and ram issues over the past 3 weeks.

What he said 100 percent . . . Firt stabilize you cpu with memory set to 2133. Then raise memory speed notch you vcore up add bring vccio up 1.20 and system agent to 1.25. That should do the trick

Sorry for off topic but which speed memory best price/performance for 5820k gaming ?

My understanding is that on the 5820k it really doesn't matter much. I would buy somewhere between 2666 and 3000 and hope for the best as far as what speed you can actually get them to run. Just get the best deal for your money on whatever is on the compatible list for your MB.

It seems like the people having the best luck getting high speeds on both x99 and z170 are using 3200mhz sets and the ones having the most issues are using 3000mhz sets, but take that with a grain of salt because it is just my perception.

The motherboard too !
My first motherboard was unstable with my DDR4 3000 at rated speed until I updated its BIOS. The updated BIOS was already available. Then it was rock stable at 3000MHz.
The second motherboard (different mfr) was only stable at 2800MHz until a later BIOS update, now its properly stable at 3000MHz (with slightly higher SA and IO voltages - they didnt help before the BIOS update).
I had already set up a memory RMA but didnt need to use it after the BIOS update.

I would venture to say most ram issues are down to motherboard firmware issues.

Does using faster RAM than what Intel specifies overclock the CPU? Or is it an independent motherboard setting?

Does using faster RAM than what Intel specifies overclock the CPU? Or is it an independent motherboard setting?

It doesnt affect the CPU speed.
Memory has its own multiplier settings which are usually represented by actual memory speeds in the newer UEFI Bioses.

The only bus that changes both CPU and memory speed is Bclk, this should be left at 100MHz unless you deliberately change it.

It doesnt affect the CPU speed.
Memory has its own multiplier settings which are usually represented by actual memory speeds in the newer UEFI Bioses.

The only bus that changes both CPU and memory speed is Bclk, this should be left at 100MHz unless you deliberately change it.

Good to know. Thanks.

What about voltage differences? Stock speed (2133) is 1.2V, as is some 2666. At 3000 it goes to 1.35V.

Using faster ram on a intel processor does in turn stress the cpu internal memory controller "IMC" that in turn will effect your overclock voltages and system stability. Just keep that in mind :p

Using faster ram on a intel processor does in turn stress the cpu internal memory controller "IMC" that in turn will effect your overclock voltages and system stability. Just keep that in mind :p

I don't want to overclock.

You're overclocking the IMC (integrated memory controller), which is located on the CPU, so yes, it is technically overclocking the CPU.

Back