My Windows 8 laptop wont boot, Can I repair the hard drive from another computer ?

~ever~

2[H]4U
Hey guys so I have a Windows 8 laptop. A Sony Vaio. After trying to install Linux and make it a dual OS machine, I had some problems and removed Linux but now its not booting into Windows at all. I get a message that my computer couldnt recover from an error or something like that.

Now, the Vaio laptop has an ASSIST button on it where its supposed to take you to a recovery mode and you can restore the computer to brand new. But the function is not working.

So I removed the hard drive from the laptop and hook it up to my desktop via USB cable so I can save some my personal files and all the good stuff and do a fresh install BUT I kinda want to keep it with all the original Sony stuff on it.

Is it possible to repair the boot sectors or anything that might be wrong with it from within my desktop which is a Windows 7 machine ??

I didnt have any luck with Sony providing a DVD of a factory image for me to restore it.

I appreciate all the help !!

If Linux grub is still there, I'd boot windows CD and fix boot/MBR. That should make your Windows bootable again.

The think is that on this Sony VAIO, there was no recovery CD included.

My main computer, which im using, its running Windows 7. The Sony is running Windows 8

The think is that on this Sony VAIO, there was no recovery CD included.

My main computer, which im using, its running Windows 7. The Sony is running Windows 8

you can still download any win 8 iso and try what he mentioned......your not being a pirate by doing this and if you cant get to the recovery menu then i cant see you having any other options in my mind.
but just a thought before you go to all that trouble...did you try these steps?

Press the Assist button to reach the VAIO Recovery options.
NOTE: If the system does not have an Assist button, or if the Assist button does not boot the PC, power it on with the Power button, while simultaneously tapping the F10 key on the keyboard.
If the Assist button or F10 key methods do not work, follow these additional steps:
Turn the PC off by holding down the Power button until the screen and power light go off.
Remove all power from the system (AC adapter and battery, if applicable).
Reconnect battery and AC adapter then restart the system with the Assist button or by simultaneously tapping F10 as indicated above.

Last edited:
Yea I tried the assist thing.

I actually downloaded the Windows 10 preview and tried it this way but I cnt repair the hard drive. It runs check disk on it and it then tells me there is errors that can't be repaired.

well if thats the case backup anything needs saving and do a clean install with what ever windows version you choose to use, cause thats pretty much all you have left.

Back