New Thinkpad Yoga 14 and Yoga Pro 3

Deinos

Gawd
Looks like Lenovo is doubling down on the Yoga line. Yoga Pro 3 coming out with Broadwell chips and a thinner design (same resolution specs, etc.).

Also a 14" Thinkpad Yoga coming as well (exclusive to Best Buy for now). Really hoping it retains the Wacom digitizer, but haven't seen any word on that on any of the release notes.

Looks like they are due out at the end of the month. The Thinkpad looks tempting. Kinda wish they upped the resolution, but full HD might be the better choice for battery life, etc.

Basically Intel's Core-M is them re-branding and positioning their ULX (Y-Series) products. Core-M is launching with Intel's Broadwell architecture. Broadwell currently features some a process shrink, minor CPU changes, and larger GPU changes. Core-M will be targeting a lower TDP than previous generations enabling it to be used in fanless tablet configurations. Core-M will also introduce turbo (and a new turbo mode) across the line that was not standard in the Haswell-Y series.

The i7-4500u is still a Haswell CPU and ULV CPU (higher TDP budget).

We don't have actual independent benchmarks/reviews of the new Core-M processors yet. However Intel has released performance benchmarks, using a setup (chassis) where the processor was essentially non power and TDP limited, that show the Core M 5Y70 has performing slightly better than a i5-4200u (more so the GPU). Power figures were not released. Compared to a i7-4500u the numbers would be slightly lower for CPU performance while slightly faster for GPU. Keep in mind these are peak numbers assuming no throttling on the device. Also the numbers are very close.

With the Lenovos specifically we also don't know what the chassis limitations will put on each devices respective processor.

Regardless of peak performance numbers, a Broadwell processor will with certainty be more efficient than a Haswell based processor.

Looks like Lenovo is doubling down on the Yoga line. Yoga Pro 3 coming out with Broadwell chips and a thinner design (same resolution specs, etc.).

Also a 14" Thinkpad Yoga coming as well (exclusive to Best Buy for now). Really hoping it retains the Wacom digitizer, but haven't seen any word on that on any of the release notes.

Looks like they are due out at the end of the month. The Thinkpad looks tempting. Kinda wish they upped the resolution, but full HD might be the better choice for battery life, etc.

I'm guessing that the Bestbuy version won't have a digitizer even if there are models in the line that have it. Typically the big box retail store versions of laptops have not carried digiziter functionality, likely due to the relatively niche market combined with the higher price for that functionality.

Found this service training presentation on the Thinkpad Yoga over at NotebookReviewForum. More info on tech specs, serviceable parts, etc. Unfortunately, I am not seeing any details on Wacom.... so going to assume that feature got cut. Very disappointing :(

Found this service training presentation on the Thinkpad Yoga over at NotebookReviewForum. More info on tech specs, serviceable parts, etc. Unfortunately, I am not seeing any details on Wacom.... so going to assume that feature got cut. Very disappointing :(

those videos are great. every manufacturer should be legally required to make videos showing how to fix their shit

Yeah doesn't look like a digitizer is available. It isn't listed nor is a stylus listed - http://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/tp_yoga_14_fru_list.pdf

You can see both listed for the Thinkpad Yoga for example - http://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/yoga_fru_bom_20140319.pdf

Actually if you think about it though it's unlikely, especially a Wacom. Unless this gets extremely highly priced that would essentially kill Cintiq sales.

Yeah, when I was researching a new laptop/tablet I wanted it to have a pen. The Yoga was on top of the list until I found out it didn't have an active digitizer. I heard there's another Lenovo model that does have them, but it apparently lacks other features.

You mean the Thinkpad Yoga? What features do you feel it lacks compared to the regular Yoga Pro?

Yeah doesn't look like a digitizer is available. It isn't listed nor is a stylus listed - http://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/tp_yoga_14_fru_list.pdf

You can see both listed for the Thinkpad Yoga for example - http://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/yoga_fru_bom_20140319.pdf

Actually if you think about it though it's unlikely, especially a Wacom. Unless this gets extremely highly priced that would essentially kill Cintiq sales.

I would have to agree given every preview I have seen so far in addition to the "official" docs we've found to date. There are a couple outlets (see the business features section) pointing at a digitizer though; not sure if that is an assumption on their part, misinformation from a lenovo rep they spoke to, or a potential "non-bestbuy" unit that would come out at a later date (although, not sure why you would have separate FRU lists, as they have not done that in the past for other devices as far as I know).

Yeah, when I was researching a new laptop/tablet I wanted it to have a pen. The Yoga was on top of the list until I found out it didn't have an active digitizer. I heard there's another Lenovo model that does have them, but it apparently lacks other features.

You mean the Thinkpad Yoga? What features do you feel it lacks compared to the regular Yoga Pro?

I assume you mean the Helix and/or the original Thinkpad Yoga S1.

The original Thinkpad Yoga seemed nice, but it had a couple issues. The main issue that I recall was horrific image retention on their IPS screens. From all of the forum posts that I read when I was looking at it, that never got resolved satisfactoriy. Battery life was also supposed to be pretty rough compared to other ultrabooks. Not to mention bulkiness vs the Yogas and Thinkpad Carbon X1's.

As for the Helix, the original had pretty mediocre battery life and the original "snap in" keyboard solution never felt right. Also, if you are going that route, the Surface Pro 3 blows it out of the water in size, resolution, etc. at a similar price. The newer Helix 2 looks better in regards to battery, but still the same 1920 x 1080 and smaller screen.

Throttling issues reported....I have to have coffee and try and find the article.

Really hoping we get 1/2 as much info about the Thinkpad Yoga 14 as we are getting about the Yoga 3 Pro :-/ That is the one I am most interested in.... so far, nada...

From Zdnet.....

"There's no fan, which makes for silent operation, and we didn't notice the system getting too warm — even when running a demanding benchmark like Cinebench R15."

According to the Ultrabook News site I linked to above the fan makes noise. So...it has a fan or not?

digitaltrends says no fan also. So I guess it does not have a "noisy" fan after all.

Last edited:
son of a... I had my eye on one of these after I returned a Surface Pro 3 for throttling issues. I want to spend my money on something thin and light and portable - but it needs to be able to outperform a 286... :mad:

I love it how marketing departments think they can beat physics. Hot CPU, thin case, no fan. Something has to give.

Whether it's razor thin or a few millimeters thicker, it still takes up the same amount of space on my desk, my lap, or in my carrying case.

I love it how marketing departments think they can beat physics. Hot CPU, thin case, no fan. Something has to give.

Whether it's razor thin or a few millimeters thicker, it still takes up the same amount of space on my desk, my lap, or in my carrying case.

Yeah, everyone wants to put the cart before the horse in the race to be "first". I can understand wanting a device with the same power as your bulky machine, but isn't the same hassle (weight, battery, etc.); however, they are unwilling to let the tech mature to the point where it is practical, and instead are willing to just throw it in when it is "somewhat" feasible (i.e. buggy, unstable, etc.).

I give Apple some credit for not always jumping right on the bandwagon for the most part. They probably could have forced a retina mbair out there this fall, but they held off. However, they aren't always immune to this either (e.g. forcing retina on the 13" mbp with Intel 4000...).

The problem is, it seems to be a never ending cycle. This time next yr, we will be at the point where the Yoga 3 Pro, SP3, etc., will be possible in their current chassis without the issues; but, unfortunately, they will try to push that into an even smaller package, etc. and screw themselves all over again...

What we need is reviews with actual proper test data. Unfortunately most more consumer electronics oriented technology sites never do this. Would need to a site like Anandtech to actually run through one of these products.

In terms of the actual product it would depend on what your expectations are and what you are looking for?

Personally my only interest in a device like this is if it has a digitizer so I can do graphics work or write directly to the screen. Otherwise a tablet mode for devices at these sizes has minimal to no real added benefit for me compared to a traditional laptop.

What we need is reviews with actual proper test data. Unfortunately most more consumer electronics oriented technology sites never do this. Would need to a site like Anandtech to actually run through one of these products.

In terms of the actual product it would depend on what your expectations are and what you are looking for?

Personally my only interest in a device like this is if it has a digitizer so I can do graphics work or write directly to the screen. Otherwise a tablet mode for devices at these sizes has minimal to no real added benefit for me compared to a traditional laptop.

Holding out for the Notebookcheck.net review of both. They are incredibly thorough and have yet to steer me wrong. The problem is, the more thorough you are, the longer it is going to take for the review to trickle out. Nature of the beast :D

I'll wait but I'm also looking at the retina MBPro..I know...but its a great laptop at a great price

I'll wait but I'm also looking at the retina MBPro..I know...but its a great laptop at a great price

No need to qualify it with the "I know", they are good machines. No shame in getting one if it fits your use cases well and it is worth the extra money to you.

I do have to ask though, if you are willing to go with the Yoga 3 Pro, would a 13" or 15" MBPr be overkill for your needs? I get it if the primary factor is the high res screen (ability to adjust for clarity vs. screen real estate on the fly, etc.). If resolution isn't the primary concern, and you are still thinking mac, you might also consider a MBAir. It will be more similar to the Y3P in form, power, etc., but net you some crazy battery life (as long as you use OSX as the primary OS).

Also, are you planning on running Windows on a MBP, or are you comfortable using OSX for your day to day? The only reason I ask is that if you are primarily a windows user, you might want to look at other Windows laptops that offer the higher resolution screens. Examples on the consumer side would be Dell XPS 15, Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus, etc. On the business side, Dell has the mirror of the XPS with the M3800 (gains you a professional GPU if that is something important to you and the options of the better business side cust svc and wty).

Again, all of that depends on your day to day usage, programs that you need, whether or not you value (or need) touch, budget, etc. Just food for thought :D

The laptop is "only" going to used for Final Draft and for the usual media consumption, not gaming.
The Retina MBP is actually cheaper than the Yoga. I'm basing that off the old model pricing.

We have a MBair in the house but it has been taken over by my other half and I would like my own.
Comparing similar spec'd MBA/MBP the pro comes out cheaper.

Neither of these would be a daily driver. We have two high end Windows desktops and have Note3's to use during the day while out and about.

I love the Yoga and will wait to see what the reviews say.

I have no knowledge of OSX but the Apple store provides an hour of one on one, so I'm sure that will be enough to figure it all out if I go that route.

Last edited:
Seems like Thinkpad Yoga 14 is better minus the thickness and weight.

One thing I can vouch for with the Surface Pro 3 is Microsoft retail store service is excellent even if you bought it from Microsoft online store.

Well I went outside of my PC comfort zone and bought a Retina Mac book Pro yesterday. It came down to price for what I was getting. 1200 dollars for the 13 inch with 8g of ram wasn't that bad and it looks great. Since most of my laptop work is writing I really dont need 16g. I'll follow this thread to see what you guys think of the Yoga 3 though.

Well I went outside of my PC comfort zone and bought a Retina Mac book Pro yesterday. It came down to price for what I was getting. 1200 dollars for the 13 inch with 8g of ram wasn't that bad and it looks great. Since most of my laptop work is writing I really dont need 16g. I'll follow this thread to see what you guys think of the Yoga 3 though.

Congrats on the new machine:D For your use case, I think you will be very happy with the screen, Let us know what you think once you've had some time with it.

FINALLY, a review for the Thinkpad Yoga 14. Been waiting for something since all the focus has been on the Yoga 3 Pro.

Notebookcheck.net finally has their review up.

Summary...
Still, there are other things we wish we could change about it. Six hours of battery life under simulated everyday use is acceptable, but it’s at least 25% below that of many other top-end competitors in the same class. The lid is difficult to open, even with two hands. And then there’s the screen: the high-resolution QHD+ panel features vivid color reproduction and plenty of real estate, but brightness and contrast are lacking, and the cost-saving PenTile pixel arrangement once again produces jagged and speckled distortions in ways we’d expect not to see for a $1,300 machine.

That’s the last major complaint: price. While the Yoga 3 Pro certainly looks and feels premium, its caveats in the realm of battery life and display technology might suggest a lower asking price. Then again, there are also not really any direct competitors (yet), as the dimensions and weight of the machine are well below any comparable contender. Forgiving these primary grievances, the Yoga 3 Pro truly is a notebook which leverages balance to achieve utility greater than the sum of its parts. For that reason, anyone considering a convertible notebook this holiday season would be wise to include it on their list of candidates.

I just purchased the thinkpad Yoga 14 and I am LOVING it!

Congrats! Looking forward to details, as there are very few reviews out there as of now. Running it as is, or did you swap drives for a full SSD solution?

Swapped to an evo 840 1tb. Runs very nice i love the track pad. I hated the track pad on my old yoga 2 pro. It runs pretty decent on games as well. Only thing i dont like too much is the glossy screen but i guess its better for touch screen. Ill get used to the glare. If you have any questions ask away.

Back