Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

I could never get into any of the Civilization games cause I never had any idea what to do but a sci-fi one where I can sort of start fresh has me interested. Loved X-COM: EU/EW but it got too easy after a while so hopefully Beyond Earth will satisfy!

if this turns out to be civ5 with a space skin motif stuck on it, i'll pass

I"ve played that type of game for 20 years now...give me somethin NEW, damn it !!!

I agree. I'm hoping that this brings some cool new innovations to the series. The change in theme should give them the leeway to do it if they choose.

link to alot more info on this thing:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=524177

"chances are you won’t need to be researching all the same technologies as the other players. Therefore, the team at Firaxis has a new, non-linear technology tree for Beyond Earth. In fact, it’s not so much a tree as it is a web."

ok boys, thats a good start for thinking outside the box

It looks excellent. My buddy and I have had 12-16 hour gaming marathons of Civ 5, and this looks even better.

You bastard! why did you show this to me!!!!!!!!!!

I was just looking for any info on Civ 6, but i guess this can work for now.

Give me a review...and I might buy it

if this turns out to be civ5 with a space skin motif stuck on it, i'll pass

I"ve played that type of game for 20 years now...give me somethin NEW, damn it !!!

All of this.

If it's a modern update on Alpha Centauri then I'm in ... I loved the dynamics of that game and with modern graphics it could be excellent ... I don't think we need another 4X game in space though ... the Galactic Civilizations series had that model down pretty well already ... I'll likely grab it either way though :)

If it's a modern update on Alpha Centauri then I'm in ... I loved the dynamics of that game and with modern graphics it could be excellent ... I don't think we need another 4X game in space though ... the Galactic Civilizations series had that model down pretty well already ... I'll likely grab it either way though :)

GalCiv and most space 4x games are done on the galactic scale. Beyond Earth is more focused on the planetary scale.

GalCiv and most space 4x games are done on the galactic scale. Beyond Earth is more focused on the planetary scale.

That's why I am hoping it is like Alpha Centauri (which was their first space based game) ... the factions (although fewer) also had interesting new philosophies that played well on a new planet (Technology vs Green, etc) ... as I said, I will likely be in from Day 1 ... I do like their franchise and have played most of Sid Meier's titles from Civ I on up :)

Alpha Centauri was a great game and one I go back to every few years to replay. Really hope this is a spiritual successor to it. Can't wait to see more details.

For those who can't wait for this, I suggest giving Pandora: First Contact a shot. It's a modern game (not related to Avatar) that is similar to AC, randomized tech, different factions, native aliens. It has some flaws, but might be good for those who want some sci-fi in their Civ.

For those who can't wait for this, I suggest giving Pandora: First Contact a shot. It's a modern game (not related to Avatar) that is similar to AC, randomized tech, different factions, native aliens. It has some flaws, but might be good for those who want some sci-fi in their Civ.

The comments in the review did answer one thing I was wondering ... since this Beyond Earth sounds so much like Alpha Centauri I was wondering why they didn't just call it that (but apparently EA owns that franchise and name and not Sid Meier) ... so this has to be the long overdue update of AC ... I'm definitely in (could be an advance purchase for me if they put it on Steam for beta testing) :cool:

Cynical Gamer here, there are some things to be worried about

(Will Miller)
It's a tough balance to strike because we want to reach a new audience. We want to get to those XCOM fans who may not have played Civ because history wasn't their thing, or strategy gamers that are playing a lot of these strategy games on IOS, that haven't tried Civ before. We want to reach those people, so we're trying to make the game more accessible for them, but also catering to our hardcore fans. We think a lot about 'oooh, what would they think if we took this out and put this in'. We try to listen to that, but we really want this product to stand on its own, and we've taken some risks, and made some changes that are surprising I think to fans, but I really think that they'll like it. David and I are relatively young designers. This is our first big Civ product. We've worked in Civ a little bit. We've done our time on Civ stuff, but it's really a testament to Firaxis to trust us and let us take this chance and make this new thing.

Civ Rev is my favourite

Accessible isn't a bad thing. That is something the new Xcom showed very well (particularly with its expansion pack) is that you could have a game that was fun, deep, had good strategy, and so on yet didn't need to be super complex. A lot of older games suffered from being really complex and needing tons of micro management. With good design you can get rid of that and have a better game for it.

Now we'll see how it goes, of course, there is always room to fuck things up. However that they are looking at making a more accessible game isn't a bad thing. I am very happy to see strategy games brought to more people.

The Civilization series in general is actually rather simple in terms of fundamental game mechanics/rules and accessibility compared to the vast majority of other similar games. You've really been able to jump in and play any of them and learn as you go.

Look's like gaming is overall going to start picking up again for me at least starting towards the end of this year. Last few years (since 2011) have been relatively mundane for me.

Ok, Mantle support got my attention!

That should take care of endgame giant maps performance issues, and give plenty of CPU time for better AI.

On my watch list now!

Cynical Gamer here, there are some things to be worried about

(Will Miller)

I wouldn't worry much about any of that, personally. Firaxis has an amazing track record of doing iOS games right. XCOM was almost a straight port of the PC version with added touch controls. The only major difference is that the iOS version has less varied maps visually due to size constraints. Firaxis can design strategy games that work great on the PC, consoles and tablets without sacrificing the quality of the game itself. The new XCOM was far more "accessible" than the series' original DOS titles, and while it did cut some elements from those games, it still provided great challenge and entertainment for core gamers and casual players alike.

It will be interesting to see if this becomes effectively "Civilization 6" or if Firaxis sees it as more of a spinoff title like Alpha Centauri and Colonization were.

Some people are cherry picking quotes from the full interview to voice their cynicism *cough* lilbabycat *cough*. Over on reddit there is a huge argument over it, but people aren't reading the full interview and are commenting on things out of context. You can read the whole interview here.

It's going to take a little from the Civ games and its going to tie it into the AC concept. But it's also going to have a number of fundamental changes so it won't play like the other Civ games and its not going to be a clone of AC. It will be a new type of Civ game. But just read the interview for yourself. Sounds like it will be pretty interesting and fun to me.

Huge fan of the Civ games, but this doesn't really appeal to me. The thing I always loved about the Civ games was starting in the stone age and moving up.

There is an inherent appeal with Civilization for a lot of people due to the familiarity of it paralleling real history.

Also for some the idea of tanks vs spears:p

Some people are cherry picking quotes from the full interview to voice their cynicism *cough* lilbabycat *cough*.

I cherry pick in this case because it was a pretty important part. I did quote the entire answer to the particular question. When a dev says "hardcore fans are going to be mad at some of our design decisions" and "we want a broader audience", worry is justified.

What worries me more than any of this is that this game is being announced Spring 2014 for a Fall 2014 release. Seems like a terribly small window and implies it is closer to a Civ 5 Mod/TC than a new game in its own right.

I forsee the game to be terribly broken (mechanics wise) at release, multiplayer be just as sloppy as Civ5's, and that it'll take a large DLC to fix the issues they didn't bother to address at release. But its kind of not fair to take that stance as that is pretty much the case for any game that comes out these days.

I cherry pick in this case because it was a pretty important part. I did quote the entire answer to the particular question. When a dev says "hardcore fans are going to be mad at some of our design decisions" and "we want a broader audience", worry is justified.

It wasn't a very important part, it was a side part. There were 5 slides to that interview with a couple questions on each slide. You picked one sidebar question and answer. If you read the whole interview they laid out exactly what the game was going to be like. Also, you do realize that is the same answer pretty much every game developer gives? If you aren't trying to reach more people with your game, then what are you in business for? Anytime you change something you are at risk of alienating "hardcore" fans, that is par for the course. I mean what is he supposed to say? They are going to make the exact same game as Civ just in space? What is the point of that?

What worries me more than any of this is that this game is being announced Spring 2014 for a Fall 2014 release. Seems like a terribly small window and implies it is closer to a Civ 5 Mod/TC than a new game in its own right.

Firaxis works on projects for awhile before announcing them. They make a number of shell games and test them out before they pick which ones they actually want to produce. This has always been their MO. Also, many of the original games that Sid Meier made were created practically overnight. Not every game needs to take 3 years to create, especially when you have so many pieces you can already pull from for structure and support. In that very interview they already had a good base of the game layed out, including the engine, the mechanics, the story, the various forks, etc. The main things missing are some polish, graphics, and testing.

I forsee the game to be terribly broken (mechanics wise) at release, multiplayer be just as sloppy as Civ5's, and that it'll take a large DLC to fix the issues they didn't bother to address at release. But its kind of not fair to take that stance as that is pretty much the case for any game that comes out these days.

This is exactly my point, you are nitpicking on things that affect just about every game out there.

Meh.

I want a new Sid Meier's Pirates!

+1, but I doubt we will get another one. They were asked about that before and they basically said it was a one off game. They only remade it in the first place to work on newer systems after Sid Meier got the rights back to his games.

Civilization V was announced (and announce trailer was revealed) in Feb 2010 and released September 2010.

Games being publicly revealed for the first time is not set based upon actual development time.

An extreme contrasting example would be CDPR revealing Cyberpunk 2077 actually before the Witcher 3, despite the latter being much further along and releasing much earlier.

they had me at

15:55 "treat it like CIV5 at your own peril"

thanks for the link...must see video

I'll treat it as any other fraxis game.
Expect the base game to be very good but broken in some way, with 2 expansions that turn the game into a classic.

Civ5, Xcom, etc.

I hope the mp will be better than the last civ.

In space, this sound fun. Let's see what the gameplay is going to look like in this one. CIV4 or CIV5?

Also the video don't show much, anyway.

Back