Using multiple PSU's on x99 platform

Spun Ducky

Gawd
So I have an Asrock x99 extreme 3 with a antec 750w. I also have a 520w corsair laying around and looking to add some more graphics cards.

I have seen the product add2psu and also know the pin trick. My question is on this board after 1 graphics card it has you connect a molex to the board near the pcie slots as well for addtional power.

So my concern is if i have the 750w connected to everything except the 6/8 pin connectors on the 2 additional graphics cards will using a psu splicer be dangerous because of that board connection.

I know for safety reasons I should make sure I don't cross rails and I was also wondering about what happens in the event of psu failure,power outage, and power surge with multi psu setup on these kinds of boards?

What are you trying to power? Multiple PSU's generally creates nothing but headaches, and in worse case scenarios will fry components.

Multiple PSU's are generally avoided.

What are you trying to power? Multiple PSU's generally creates nothing but headaches, and in worse case scenarios will fry components.

Multiple PSU's are generally avoided.

A r9 290, 5870, and a geforce 9600GT. The goal would be to move away from using usb graphics adapters for all the monitors. I am just feeling out this option as it would be one of the cheapest routes.

If I use just the r9 290 and 5870 with adapters should be able to cover all 7 screens. I am just not sure on the power consumption as the single would be cutting it close.

A r9 290, 5870, and a geforce 9600GT. The goal would be to move away from using usb graphics adapters for all the monitors. I am just feeling out this option as it would be one of the cheapest routes.

If I use just the r9 290 and 5870 with adapters should be able to cover all 7 screens. I am just not sure on the power consumption as the single would be cutting it close.

Don't skimp on a quality power supply/setup. You will regret it later. I would just invest in a newer, better PSU or get more efficient cards for driving displays.

Just make sure the graphics cards and the GFX power connector for the mobo are all powered from the same psu. No matter what.

Don't skimp on a quality power supply/setup. You will regret it later. I would just invest in a newer, better PSU or get more efficient cards for driving displays.

This, get a decent PSU before you fry something more expensive than buying a $100 PSU.

If you're running a X99 extreme 3 and whatever that is you're running, don't fry it...sell both powers and get a 1000W or more.

Hey guys, the Asrock board is nice don't ruin it! But seriously, don't the power have their own protection features that won't fry the parts?

IIRC you have to pin-mod the ATX connectors to get two PSUs working together. Even if a power supply somehow had "protection" features built in, this feature was not designed to work in tandem with another power supply hot-wired up. You're more likely to destroy your computer or burn your house down.

It's not that this is impossible to do, it's just that it's not very smart. Unless you know exactly what you're doing and why you're doing it.

Being too cheap to buy a quality PSU is not a good reason.

I've run 2x Ultra 500W in my old fileserver before with no ill effects, but given that new 1kW+ PSUs are relatively inexpensive compared to back in 2007, I would not recommend doing so.

IIRC you have to pin-mod the ATX connectors to get two PSUs working together. Even if a power supply somehow had "protection" features built in, this feature was not designed to work in tandem with another power supply hot-wired up. You're more likely to destroy your computer or burn your house down.

It's not that this is impossible to do, it's just that it's not very smart. Unless you know exactly what you're doing and why you're doing it.

Being too cheap to buy a quality PSU is not a good reason.

People in the masses have been using multiple PSUs on high wattage mining rigs for years.

But yeah, to the OP, just buy a large high quality gold PSU and call it a day. It will last through many of your builds to come.

Back