Turbo mode at 4.4 or Oc?

Darlok

Limp Gawd
Hey guys.. I just put together a new build.. In windows i set my Power usage to performance and my Processor is staying at 4.4 GHZ in turbo mode... Should I even bother overclocking? I never oc'd a processor... Is Turbo the same as an OC? Is turbo mode dangerous? This is my system:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $279.99)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $36.99)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $179.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For $123.00)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $164.99)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (Purchased For $400.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $119.99)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $80.00)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $19.99)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 FLX 68.0 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $24.99)
Total: $1479.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-27 06:28 EST-0500

That turbo mode is for only 1 core only out of your 4. Basically, you've got on 1c/2HT @ 4.4ghz, and the other 3c/6HT at a lesser frequency. If you overclock, typically you disable turbo and run all cores at the overclocked frequency. So in short, yes - there is a difference between turbo and OC. Turbo is not dangerous.

Now, as for the overclocking - you do have a K chip, a nice board, and a somewhat decent HSF... so you technically are set up to do it. A 212 Evo on a 4790k won't exactly get you very far, but it is worlds better than the stock sink that Intel provides and would provide a little bit of headroom. However, consider that a 4790k is fast as hell even "stock" because its base clock is a fat 4.0ghz. You will not notice a difference in whatever you do between stock or overclocked, especially in games.

To wrap it up, I personally wouldn't bother with OCing unless you want to learn some stuff and/or have a little bit of fun with some canned benchmarks.

Set your 4790k to "multicore enhancement" and all 4 cores will run at 4.4ghz... that is a good overclock for 1 minute of effort.

thanks guys.... Really Nicholars? I can do that? and the PSU was cheap but as soon as I bought it Newegg hiked up the price by like $30-40... and funny thing is Newegg shipped me a used one i think because it wasn't shrink wrapped and the sides of the box had minor wear/tear marks... I just got it less than a week ago.. I'm not sure if the PSU was used or not but it works...

Video card is giving me Coil whine noise while benchmarking in 3D.. especially loud audible noise on the Ice Storm benchmark.. as soon as FPS wraps up to around 700+ i get coil whine

Video card is giving me Coil whine noise while benchmarking in 3D.. especially loud audible noise on the Ice Storm benchmark.. as soon as FPS wraps up to around 700+ i get coil whine

that's normal with every GPU in the market.. after certain point and amount of FPS coil whine its inevitable. I don't know any card that doesn't coil whine at above 1000FPS and above 2000FPS sound like a crying Pig....

thanks guys.... Really Nicholars? I can do that?

yes, its called Asus MultiCore Enhancement in BIOS. it just set automatically a more aggressive turbo that set the min turbo multiplier to the highest turbo multiplier under heavy loads so the four cores will run always at max turbo multiplier instead of 44-43-42-42 (from left to right 1 core load, 2 cores load, 3 cores load, 4 cores load).

that's normal with every GPU in the market.. after certain point and amount of FPS coil whine its inevitable. I don't know any card that doesn't coil whine at above 1000FPS and above 2000FPS sound like a crying Pig....

Really? How do i know if it doesn't coil whine in modern 3D games? I only play WOrld of warcraft and Secondlife.. so there's no way for me to tell if it will whine if i do decide to pick up Modern titles in the near future (not that far away) I dont want to send it back.. I just a few hours ago, for the first time in my life tried disputing the charge with my bank because newegg wont refund me money for the card.. I never done a chargeback in my entire life.. and i had a CC for over 18 yrs with excellent credit....> I might actually cancel the dispute if that's the case... But how do i check for coil whine with a 3D intensive game? What benchmark do i run? I'm new to all this... Thanks...

I thought about picking the Asus strig card from Microcenter for $340.. Cuz i Paid $400 for this MSI.. This MSI is a nice built card but I dont like the coil whine.. And I didn't buy it for OC.. i bought it cuz people praised it as the best 970 on the market, which is why i paid a $50 premium on it.... In Wow and Secondlife I dont get coil whine.. THe fans dont even spin up so i can't really test it.. I am playing on 1080 resolution though... Getting a new monitor soon that's 1440.. Please help guys.. TY!

those games will not put any kind of load anywhere near of what Ice Storm (just as example) can do, second life run almost entirely by CPU and single threaded.. More or less apply to WoW which also run in 1 - 2 thread and will not push enough your GPU specially if you have Vsync ON. Coil whine can happen in any game at ultra high FPS, you will rarely see coil whine under game or typical condition usage unless its some kind of intro, cinematic and etc..

Just an example, Opening Cities XL Platinum in the start menu I have above 1300FPS coil whine its inevitable and annoying but just after start the game it drop to ~200FPS and coil whine disappear.

K thanks Araxie.. Btw, how do I enable Turbo Mode to be on at all times to all my cores? I just enabled high performance profile under control panel in Windows... Is there a Rog bios thing i hit to enable for all cores? Or is there a Bios setting ? Let me know.. thanks

Asus ROG motherboards should ship with the "ASUS MultiCore Enhancement" setting enabled by default. But yes, it's in the bios.

Asus ROG motherboards should ship with the "ASUS MultiCore Enhancement" setting enabled by default. But yes, it's in the bios.

K thnx man.. Yeah the Multicore Feature only has 2 options.. Auto & Disable... The next follow down bar has "Synch All cores" checked though.. I guess that's it? How can i check how much each core is running at? Cpu-Z is only showing processor 1 and only 1 core's speed

Back