Google is reportedly set to launch their own wireless service this year

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
:eek: :D
http://phandroid.com/2015/01/21/google-wireless-launching-this-year/

Reports from several sources close to the matter that Google is gearing up to launch their own wireless service later this year. Codenamed “Nova,” the service — which will run on a combination of T-mobile and Sprint towers — will see Google acting as an MVNO, similar to StraightTalk, Simple Mobile, and other competing prepaid wireless services.

The project is being lead by Google exec Nick Fox and will see Google directly selling mobile phone plans to customers, managing all of their calls and mobile data the same way any other MVNO wold. Originally, it was scheduled to go live in the fall and even has some Googlers already testing the service over in Mountain View.

Maybe those phone will get over two years of updates...

Naw probably not :D

I do wonder what reason Google is doing this.

A) Invest money into Sprint and T-Mo's network, and be in position make suggestions/demands
B) Android phones get updates quicker
C) Data mining
D) Some awesome wireless tech experiment such as having data-aggregation across two carriers
E) Google wants to get in on setting the VoLTE standard
F) Really, it's just as simple as Google wanting to get into the wireless industry.

I do wonder what reason Google is doing this.

A) Invest money into Sprint and T-Mo's network, and be in position make suggestions/demands
B) Android phones get updates quicker
C) Data mining
D) Some awesome wireless tech experiment such as having data-aggregation across two carriers
E) Google wants to get in on setting the VoLTE standard
F) Really, it's just as simple as Google wanting to get into the wireless industry.
They're looking to the future.

The cliffs are basically that, is the wire line/ISP industry, there is precedent being set for "if you own the pipes, you own the data." Obviously, Google's business is data and they are coming to realize that if you don't own the last mile, you're missing out on a significant portion of data to mine and sell.

They are working on hard line infrastructure with Google Fiber. Next is cell and this venture is most likely their "get it done quick and dirty" solution - the results of which will determine their next move - buy out T-Mo or Sprint with their couch change or build something on their own.

Here's hoping Google brings some impressive data plans to the party.

Question, if I ran my phone through a VPN, could Google still data mine me through a back door of sorts?

A VPN isn't going to help if you're still using Googe's services. A VPN only protects your data in-transit, not at the other end where you're authenticating to their servers and using their services in plain text.

Yay Sprint!!!

sprint_bedroom_zpsp9vjaznh.png

Yay Sprint!!!

1: speedtest is garbage, works better if you use one of the html5 based ones (testmy.net, speedof.me)
2: you don't have spark in your area yet or don't have a spark enabled phone. I routinely see ~12Mbits/sec in the area it's rolled out to. (they're still working on it where I live)

I wonder what it'll do to T-Mobile's network. Would it help T-Mobile create a better infrastructure, or cause it to be overcrowded?

Your data will always be mined no matter what, might as well stop fighting it.

i hope it would give me better reception on sprint network, i am sick of my sprint service.

Lol, yup. Will NEVER use this spying network.

Right, because Verizon and AT&T have such great track records protecting your data. It's not like Google is any better, but every mobile carrier is operating a "spying network" and will happily give all of your data to anyone who offers them enough money.

Partnership with Tmo makes a lot of sense but don't know why Google is wasting their time with Sprint because of crappy service and since they don't offer any CDMA devices.

Partnership with Tmo makes a lot of sense but don't know why Google is wasting their time with Sprint because of crappy service and since they don't offer any CDMA devices.
Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 5, and Nexus 6. I like to see you argue your way out of this one. What? Foxconn isn't an electronic manufacturer again?

Also, the first Google Fiber city is Kansas City like Sprint's headquarter.
Sprint is also the only carrier with full Google Voice integration.

Last edited:
If this does go through I can see Google being in a full partnership with Sprint within 5 years.

Could be earlier but I think Google wants to own either Sprint or TMO.

CDMA isn't only Sprint. Have you ever heard of Verizon?

Nexus device from Google Play store isn't the same as from carrier that suffer from blootloader lock, carrier lock, IMEI white listing that gets in the way of activation, carrier bloat, etc. Buying a Google Play device and trying to activate it on a CDMA carrier is futile at worst or gamble at best.

Is full Google Voice integration on Sprint suppose to be special or something? I have better than full Google Voice integration on Verizon since coverage and speed are superior, unlimited caling and data and the plan is less expensive than Sprint.

Foxconn connector isn't an electronic component or semiconductor.

CDMA isn't only Sprint. Have you ever heard of Verizon?
The statement you made before is that Google doesn't make any CDMA device. I've listed all the Nexuses that worked on CDMA; some of them also worked/works on Verizon. So what does your new statement about CDMA not only being Sprint but also Verizon (and others) got to do with your wrong comment about Google not making CDMA devices?

Nexus device from Google Play store isn't the same as from carrier that suffer from blootloader lock, carrier lock, IMEI white listing that gets in the way of activation, carrier bloat, etc. Buying a Google Play device and trying to activate it on a CDMA carrier is futile at worst or gamble at best.
Pretty sure you can buy a Nexus 6 today from the Google Play that would work with Sprint or Verizon after installing a sim card from the respective networks. Also pretty sure you can buy a Nexus 5 from Google Play that would work on Sprint with an installation of a Sprint sim card too. Next!

Is full Google Voice integration on Sprint suppose to be special or something?

It's special in terms that Google and Sprint has a long running relationship, having full GV integration and offering many of the Nexus devices for Sprint.

Foxconn connector isn't an electronic component or semiconductor.
First, how is an electronic connector not an electronic component?
Second, Foxconn makes way more than connectors; Foxconn just seems to have a monopoly on connectors such as USB, audio, nic (and more)
Third, no one but you is suggesting that the only electronic component of any electronic is the semiconductor.

Last edited:
Buying a Google Play device and trying to activate it on a CDMA carrier is futile at worst or gamble at best.

Spoken like someone who doesn't know what the heck they're talking about.
Sprint sold Nexus 5's that were 100% identical to the ones in the play store, albeit $100 more expensive. They all activated fine. Called Sprint up when I was looking for phones, after I got to the correct department I was told all I would need is an international SIM card and some time on the phone to activate it.

Spoken like someone who doesn't know what the heck they're talking about.
Sprint sold Nexus 5's that were 100% identical to the ones in the play store, albeit $100 more expensive. They all activated fine. Called Sprint up when I was looking for phones, after I got to the correct department I was told all I would need is an international SIM card and some time on the phone to activate it.

Only after Sprint got their shit together but their service is so crappy people just end up activating it without issue on GSM TMobile. White listing has always and will always be a full price gamble with Google Play Store devices on CDMA carriers.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/general/sprint-users-luck-nov-8th-t2512205

Digging up an old post about early issues with activation does not prove anything about Google having never made a CDMA device per your original argument. In fact, it did just the opposite, proving that you know that it does work with Sprint CDMA now, and you're just arguing for argument sake.

You fail to comprehend CDMA doesn't mean Sprint only. Ever heard of Verizon? Plus, you can't buy a Nexus 5 online on Verizon, Sprint or Google Play Store and Nexus 6 can't be activated on Verizon. Sprint isn't even considered a carrier since their service doesn't always work that's why many including me dropped them.

No one but you is suggesting that Verizon is not a CDMA network; you're the only one misunderstanding things. No one but you wouldn't recognize that Google has made CDMA devices, which includes the Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 5, and the Nexus 6 - all of which worked on Sprint's network and two on Verizon. You can stick in your existing Verizon sim card into a Nexus 6 and it'll just work. And now you say Sprint isn't even a network?!? Keep up your stupid TTL comments.

Can we start a petition to have him banned?

No one but you is suggesting that Verizon is not a CDMA network; you're the only one misunderstanding things.

Also wrong by the way, VZW is very much so still a CDMA network given they haven't fully rolled out VoLTE yet. There's still large swaths of the country where you can only do voice calls/sms/etc.. over CDMA.

Also wrong by the way, VZW is very much so still a CDMA network given they haven't fully rolled out VoLTE yet. There's still large swaths of the country where you can only do voice calls/sms/etc.. over CDMA.
Can you actually read? Just wondering. The only one here who is suggesting that Verizon isn't a CDMA network is mi7chy by suggesting that Google has never made a CDMA device.

There's a bit of confusion over language barrier and expectations.

CDMA refers to all CDMA carriers otherwise each is specifically called out like Verizon or Sprint.

"don't offer" doesn't mean "hasn't offered"

Half ass isn't fully working.

Nexus 5 has been discontinued along with previous models so you can't buy them on Google Play Store. It's still listed but has been out of stock.

Nexus 6 isn't CDMA since it doesn't work across all CDMA carriers. If you can't activate it on Verizon it's useless.

If I don't get data connectivity pressed up against the window in a building in a major metropolitan near an airport and if Sprint customer service says I have to stand outside my residence to get reception then it's not a carrier.

Google Play Store devices have been predominantly GSM so Tmobile as a partner and their service quality make a lot more sense. It's better for Google to focus on one good carrier than trying to fix a broken second.

Anytime you don't understand just ask and we'll spell it out.

Proof that Google has made CDMA devices:
  • Nexus S - Sprint
  • Galaxy Nexus - Sprint and Verizon
  • Nexus 5 - Sprint
  • Nexus 6 - Sprint and Verizon

Just because Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, and the Nexus 5 have been discontinued, this does not mean that Google has never made CDMA devices.

Just because you cannot activate a new Verizon sim card in Nexus 6, this does not mean that you can't take an already activated Verizon sim card, put it into the Nexus 6, and have the phone work on Verizon. The advantage of sim cards is that you can take the one out of your old phone, put it in a new one, and have it just work.

Just because you get bad Sprint coverage at TTL does not mean that Sprint is not a carrier. That's like saying M&M's aren't candy because you don't like M&M's. Or that Tata doesn't make cars, because their "cars" suck...

If your whole argument is that only Verizon count as CDMA and that you can't activate a new Verizon sim card on Nexus 6 so that doesn't count, then explain why the Galaxy Nexus isn't a Verizon CDMA device. Spell that out!

Your whole logic and reasoning is completely flawed.

Last edited:
Can you actually read?

Go back to my post and quote where I said "hasn't offered".

And, think a little about what you're saying about switching SIM card. Nexus 6 takes the new nano SIM so you can't fit an existing mini or micro SIM. To get a nano SIM you need to activate the phone but Verizon won't do it if it's Nexus 6.

Go back to my post and quote where I said "hasn't offered".
And yet Google has clearly offered in the forms of Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 5, and Nexus 6. Google clearly offered the Galaxy Nexus for Verizon. Google also offered compatibility with the Verizon network with the Nexus 6, with Verizon saying that they will officially support it eventually. The Nexus 6 could be currently used on Verizon with an already activated sim card.

And, think a little about what you're saying about switching SIM card. Nexus 6 takes the new nano SIM so you can't fit an existing mini or micro SIM. To get a nano SIM you need to activate the phone but Verizon won't do it if it's Nexus 6.
Stop your pettifogging. If you have an already activated nano-sim, it'll work on Verizon. If you have an activated mini or micro Sim, cut the sim card to nano-sim size, and it'll work on Verizon. Nano-sims are also not "new." It's been in phones since 2012 at the very least. Anyone on Verizon who want to switch from an iPhone 5, Moto X, Lumia Icon, etc could just swap to a Nexus 6 just like that. No need to activate an already activated card. Do you even know how sim cards work?!?

Half ass isn't fully working.

Useless:

- because no one is going to buy another phone to get it working
- if not currently on Verizon
- if adding additional line
- if you don't want to risk damage to SIM card and pay $30 for a replacement or worse damaging the SIM slot on the new phone
- because no company would propose this to any customer

So let's remove Sprint devices from the conversation, and you're still wrong.

- because no one is going to buy another phone to get it working
No one is asking anyone to. Current Verizon customers with sim cards could use their existing sim card. Many of them already have activated nano-sims. Phones with nano-sims date back to 2012!

- if not currently on Verizon
Nexus 6 works on Verizon! I don't even know how this is even debatable. If you can insert an activated Verizon sim card to the Nexus 6 and you can make calls and get data from Verizon's network, then the phone obviously works on Verizon! Also, Galaxy Nexus still works on Verizon. These are 2 devices offered by Google to the Verizon's CDMA network!

- if adding additional line
What does this got to do with the current conversation about your crazy belief that Google had never offering a CDMA device?!?

- if you don't want to risk damage to SIM card and pay $30 for a replacement or worse damaging the SIM slot on the new phone
Many older phones on Verizon already use nano-sims. There are cheap sim chip cutters on Amazon for those who has bigger sim cards. And what does your statement have to do to suggest that Google had never offered a CDMA device? Galaxy Nexus obviously works on Verizon. Nexus 6 also works on Verizon with an activated nano-sim. Once again, there are 2 devices offered by Google to work with Verizon's network!

- because no company would propose this to any customer
Many phone manufacturers have been telling people to do this for years. Many carriers have been telling people to do this for years too; this is one of the advantages that has been touted by GSM carriers. Many carriers even have sim card cutters at the store to cut the older sim cards for their customers.

Last edited:
:eek: :D
http://phandroid.com/2015/01/21/google-wireless-launching-this-year/

Reports from several sources close to the matter that Google is gearing up to launch their own wireless service later this year. Codenamed “Nova,” the service — which will run on a combination of T-mobile and Sprint towers — will see Google acting as an MVNO, similar to StraightTalk, Simple Mobile, and other competing prepaid wireless services.

The project is being lead by Google exec Nick Fox and will see Google directly selling mobile phone plans to customers, managing all of their calls and mobile data the same way any other MVNO wold. Originally, it was scheduled to go live in the fall and even has some Googlers already testing the service over in Mountain View.

Would that just be another price competition? I think google/fb would love to see a lower data plan pricing model.

Holy crap I hope that's 3G inside a cave or basement

Here's someone that didn't read the thread at all.... That has already been addressed. That's likely either 3G or non-spark LTE in a crowded area. I see ~12Mbits/sec in the areas of town that are on Spark. (Spark being the multiple band LTE stuff)

Holy crap I hope that's 3G inside a cave or basement

Here's someone that didn't read the thread at all.... That has already been addressed. That's likely either 3G or non-spark LTE in a crowded area. I see ~12Mbits/sec in the areas of town that are on Spark. (Spark being the multiple band LTE stuff)

Reading comprehension, you might want to give it a try ! ;):D;):D:eek:

Back