What is your thought of the ultimate power supply for 200 or less

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
Been wanting to get back to upgrading my pc for a while but it wasn't meant to be. Thankfully my current employment has took a turn for the better and with that the possibility of making purchases for my hobby again. Anyways i think having at least one spare working part is smart thinking, and in the process replacing the older with new and improved is a win win scenario.
My next item for replacement is "the power supply". My current hardware is in my sig but i want enough power to be able to upgrade to dual 390's. Not saying i ever will, but i want the option if a magic deal ever comes around.
Near as i can tell from reading this sub section the only new supply's i will consider are Seasonic and or SuperFLower Leadex models but i don't mind other vendor re branded variants of these since there the same anyway. Or maybe there is something Coming Soon i should be patient for? My current pc is working just so damned perfect that even if i don't do serious upgrading soon, I still think the money is well invested in a hobby i really enjoy.

Anyways i know theirs a handful of people here that seem to know things about existing power supply's and those coming soon....IF your wanted to purchase in the next 90 days "what would you get?"

My next item for replacement is "the power supply". My current hardware is in my sig but i want enough power to be able to upgrade to dual 390's. Not saying i ever will, but i want the option if a magic deal ever comes around.

You mean dual 390s or 390Xs ?
There is about 100watt difference between the 2 of them, so 200 watt for crossfire .
-For dual 390s a good 850watt PSU ( like EVGA Supernova G2 850, or Corsair RM 850i ), should be sufficient.
-For dual 390Xs, you will need a 1000watt PSU ( also EVGA G2 / P2 1000 watt , Corsair RM 1000i, Superflower Leadex Platinum, Seasonic Platinum1050, are some of the best in their field ;) )

I like your suggestions to be honest...every time i look at those evga's i like what i see;)

Corsair RM 1000i. And that's what I got and have in my current build and replaced the eVGA Supernova 750W G2 I had first.

Otherwise the Sesasonic.

I don't understand why you mention that you replaced the EVGA G2 with the Corsair RMi.
Are you saying that you were disappointed by your G2 or you wanted more wattage? :confused:
( I don't think that any of these PSU's i mentioned above are anything less than superior quality.)

Quote removed-Paul_Johnson

And what about your suggestions Tsumi?
I think that you have been awfully "quiet" all this time !!;)

Last edited by a moderator:
And what about your suggestions Tsumi?
I think that you have been awfully "quiet" all this time !!;)

I didn't feel the need to repeat your suggestions. ;)

Edited-Paul_Johnson

Sith'ari
; To answer your question, no, the eVGA was fine, I bought it because it had good reviews but ultimately, I don't like eVGA personally, a brand that I don't trust and bought it out of impulse based on the ratings.

Bought the Corsair because they make very reliable products and their customer service is one of the best in the business. I've never had to deal with any faulty parts made by Corsair, and since 1998 never had any issues with their products.
So Corsair will always be my recommendation. Best part is that it bothers Mr. E.Right all the time. That even makes it more worthwhile.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

I have had to RMA DOA Corsair RAM before. Corsair is good, but not faultless, and recent practices have made Corsair more questionable (higher power CM series, RGB keyboard).

Also, I have to make fun of your crush on Corsair whenever I get the chance. It just bothers you so much. It's almost as if I were insulting your girlfriend.

I didn't feel the need to repeat your suggestions. ;)

:rolleyes:

I have had to RMA DOA Corsair RAM before. Corsair is good, but not faultless, and recent practices have made Corsair more questionable (higher power CM series, RGB keyboard).

Also, I have to make fun of your crush on Corsair whenever I get the chance. It just bothers you so much. It's almost as if I were insulting your girlfriend.

I've RMA'd more Corsair RAM than any other brand. But that's just me.

Evga makes perfectly good power supplies, just don't blindly buy one. Make sure the exact model you are looking at it well reviewed. Of course, the same goes to any other brand.

I prefer Seasonic though.

I've RMA'd more Corsair RAM than any other brand. But that's just me.

Evga makes perfectly good power supplies, just don't blindly buy one. Make sure the exact model you are looking at it well reviewed. Of course, the same goes to any other brand.

Seasonic has been good to me. I have a M12D 750 watt still going strong, and a Seasonic-made Coolermaster V1000 (smallest 1000 watt PSU I could find).

To be fair, neither EVGA nor Corsair actually make PSUs. They rebrand them. Unfortunately for Corsair, because of their higher power CX line, Corsair no longer is one of those companies you can recommend all their PSUs, and is like EVGA, Coolermaster, and many others.

XFX to my knowledge uses exclusively Seasonic PSUs to my knowledge, so you can count on those to all have quality. They're also sometimes cheaper than their Seasonic branded counterpart. Although I have heard of CS issues with them a few years ago, not sure if that's still true. Hard to argue against a Seasonic 550 watt bronze for 25 for budget systems though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438018 thsi one always catches my eye. Think they have a few newer seasonic made ones as well...no idea if one is better than the other. Also, cant help but notice going by egg reviews very few have reported there's failing.

Yeap, i was totally impressed for the same reason.
Besides the excellent reviews, it has very few bad reports from customers as well.
This is very rare indeed, that's why i'm confident it's a solid choice!!
P.S. Have one of these units for my brother's pc as well !!:)

Quote removed- Paul_Johnson

Well, when i needed an advice, neither Dakensoul nor you were there to help me.
Instead Tsumi was there and had the patience to answer all my novice ,(*back then), questions.
I didn't see him neither to insult or make fun, and that is fact that speaks for itself !!

Well gentleman, that was fun. For those of you that collected infractions out of this little run you'll want to refer back to the rules http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=760666

For those of you who had posts edited to remove quoted infractions, don't quote infractions (use the report feature) it makes cleanup harder and posts with more content than just the quote get deleted if disentangling the quote rules the readability of the post.

speaking of the re-branded Seasonic xfx flavor....i wouldn't mind giving them some business but it apears there either moving away from supplies or who knows what....newegg is not usually out of stock on items still being made so that sorta scares me off from going that route....cause really the xfx rep here has gone above and beyond for my video card needs. I mean shit its hard to make evga look bad from a customer service perspective...but i give credit where its do.
I love the hole seasonic models, but the evga rebranded ones actually seem to give more for the money. And whats with the bad seasonic reviews at newegg over silly shit like main power wires that make crackling sounds and then burn up.....its like wtf seasonic? its just appears to be better QC on the rebranded ones at times. Maybe they dont want to piss evga off so they do better qc.....makes ya wonder

............................................................ And whats with the bad seasonic reviews at newegg over silly shit like main power wires that make crackling sounds and then burn up.....its like wtf seasonic? its just appears to be better QC on the rebranded ones at times. Maybe they dont want to piss evga off so they do better qc.....makes ya wonder

:)As a character i'm very thorough and analytic, just like you seem to be as well, so i think you will find interesting, from statistical point of view, a research i had made about the comments of Newegg's customers about some famous 850watt psu's they bought.
Check the results here, i think you will find them interesting (*although, just like i said at Jonnyguru forum, the results can NOT be considered as accurate, because they are based on some theoretical assumptions i made). http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11975

well one thing i like about the first corsair you posted, is its seems to be a new model....shit jonnys review is from aug....thing cant be very dated yet. but cwt? i guess with a grade of 10 on build quality, who give a shit what factory in china claims to of made it:D

well one thing i like about the first corsair you posted, is its seems to be a new model....shit jonnys review is from aug....thing cant be very dated yet. but cwt? i guess with a grade of 10 on build quality, who give a shit what factory in china claims to of made it:D

Yes the Corsair RMi series seems to be very solid indeed :)

I've only had one PSU go DOA on me for no good reason and it was a Seasonic X-1050 gold efficiency model.

So they are not bullet-proof.

I think you just have to do your homework.

All the PSUs I have in personal builds are Corsair.

my ultimate under $200 psu would be a 750 or possibly 850 watt 80+ Titanium rated psu, fully modular of course, with a quiet fan mode and full digital monitoring. don't know if such a thing could actually sell for $200 or less. in fact I'm convinced it couldn't.

well ill be honest....200 is not a solid limit....im not going to rule out something if its close or if its really truly worth the extra cost...stuff like this is ok for amazon card:D

my ultimate under $200 psu would be a 750 or possibly 850 watt 80+ Titanium rated psu, fully modular of course, with a quiet fan mode and full digital monitoring. don't know if such a thing could actually sell for $200 or less. in fact I'm convinced it couldn't.

So what is your proposal?
So far, the only reviews i've seen for 80+Titanium rated PSUs are:
-Corsair 1500i ( http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015...igital_atx_power_supply_review/1#.VeqDcJeWzcs )
-Andyson Titanium N700 ( http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Andyson/Titanium_N700/ )
-Super Flower Leadex Titanium 1600 ( http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=439 )
Excellent PSUs but none of these are good for our case here. We are looking between an 850 to 1000 watt unit.

Yep most of these PSUs aren't really "made" by that company anyway. They are re-badged PSUs made by someone else, so it really depends on the particular model and who really made it. You can find EVGA/Corsair PSUs that are cheaply built with Chinese capacitors and whatnot, but also some great quality PSUs.

My fanboy power supply crush has got to go to BeQuiet! And their Dark Power Pro. It Is practically inaudible and a very very well built unit. But they do have a hefty price tag

Back