making a current install of windows into a virtual machine?

mnewxcv

[H]F Junkie
Hi, I have never run a virtual machine so bear with me. I have a laptop with windows 7 installed. I am planning to wipe the drive and sell the machine, but would like to continue using the software, exactly as it is, as a VM. I know if I backup (using windows backup) the C drive as an image, it will create a VHD file. Can VMware mount this VHD file and boot exactly as it is?

sorry for my ignorance, or if I phrased something wrong. System specs in sig.

It should be able to do it.
I tried a few times to make a physical to a VM but I couldn't get it to work, but I had never done it before and had no real experience with VM's.

I was trying to make a physical XP install into a VM for a friend who has apps in XP that don't work or we couldn't find the installs to install them in Windows 7 so I was attempting to make an XP VM so that if he needed to run an app he wouldn't have to reboot the machine and go to XP.

I have used both vcenter converter adn disk2vhd. both worked with no issues. disk2vhd is very easy and is just an executable file. nothing to install.

you might have an issue with activation as your laptop probably has OEM version of windows 7

I have used both vcenter converter adn disk2vhd. both worked with no issues. disk2vhd is very easy and is just an executable file. nothing to install.

you might have an issue with activation as your laptop probably has OEM version of windows 7

yeah im running into the activation issue now.

Please just use VMware Converter if the target platform is vSphere.

Please just use VMware Converter if the target platform is vSphere.

Exactly.As mentioned, Vmware will not use VHD, it can only take an OVF/OVA or VMDK files. But for what you're doing, you just need to run it through the vmware converter and you're done. A simple P2V.

While I use different stuff, I'll add a tip that I believe applies: Uninstall at the very least your video, ethernet,sound, printers and other drivers you might find and easily reinstall later.

While I use different stuff, I'll add a tip that I believe applies: Uninstall at the very least your video, ethernet,sound, printers and other drivers you might find and easily reinstall later.

Pro Tip - Do this after the P2V is complete on the VM (don't uninstall your ethernet drivers before the P2V :eek: ).

:p

Good catch, exactly the reason I don't climb trees anymore to saw off dead branches :D

Another for the P2V converter.

And what about climbing trees to cut off live branches so you can cut down the tree in sections so it won't hit a building.. all while one-handing an 18lb+ chainsaw with a 20" bar?
That was a fun day. :p

Well this isn't my native tongue and I've never been a broad. Was referring to cutting one's only link to the machine in question all while logged into it.

Cyclone:
-Are you a superhero?
-How much blood did you have in your alcohol vessels for such bravado? I don't even go near parks when it's windy.
-Weren't you afraid of sudden tension changes and unexpected cracks as you removed chunks of the tree around you?
-I thought Americans use something like a machine gun firing chainsaws for this sort of thing?
-Do you need a permit to cut down trees on your property or near it? we do.

Sorry for the offtopic, I had to ask D:

Well this isn't my native tongue and I've never been a broad. Was referring to cutting one's only link to the machine in question all while logged into it.

Cyclone:
-Are you a superhero?
-How much blood did you have in your alcohol vessels for such bravado? I don't even go near parks when it's windy.
-Weren't you afraid of sudden tension changes and unexpected cracks as you removed chunks of the tree around you?
-I thought Americans use something like a machine gun firing chainsaws for this sort of thing?
-Do you need a permit to cut down trees on your property or near it? we do.

Sorry for the offtopic, I had to ask D:

1. Some people seem to think so... but no.
2. None. I have a single alcoholic drink maybe 1-2 times a year.
3. Not really. The tree was maybe 25-30 feet tall. It was right next to a shed so if something did happen I would have thrown the chainsaw the one way and dropped down onto the roof of the shed. I know the people that were watching me though I was crazy for doing it though. I only had to cut off maybe the top 6 feet of the tree before I cut it down at the base.
4. I wish I had something like that
5. As far as I know there is no permit needed.

Ahhhh... Thank you, Clarice. I mean sir.

Then you are hired. Get a Visa going (oh wait) and come over. You will be a soldier of fortune when the shit finally hits the fan. You will not be receiving a salary because that would be an empty gesture.

Well, I wouldn't trust myself that much. I once almost broke a glass store cabinet, because something was falling off one of its shelves and I automatically tried to grab it through the glass door. Automation dominated over logic.

I mean, 20 feet of wire dragged against pointy sticks, busting up insulation, entangling in the branches... A falling branch could have pulled you down with it by yanking the wire.
How did you manage to survive I don't know. God has plans for your shed.

Sorry for the distractions, back to your regular programming.

Ahhhh... Thank you, Clarice. I mean sir.

Then you are hired. Get a Visa going (oh wait) and come over. You will be a soldier of fortune when the shit finally hits the fan. You will not be receiving a salary because that would be an empty gesture.

Well, I wouldn't trust myself that much. I once almost broke a glass store cabinet, because something was falling off one of its shelves and I automatically tried to grab it through the glass door. Automation dominated over logic.

I mean, 20 feet of wire dragged against pointy sticks, busting up insulation, entangling in the branches... A falling branch could have pulled you down with it by yanking the wire.
How did you manage to survive I don't know. God has plans for your shed.

Sorry for the distractions, back to your regular programming.

Bwahaha.. I don't use no baby electric chainsaw. Mine is an old McCulloch Pro Mac 10-10.

Like the one in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQzVI8-sQNM

That one looks like it has a 24" bar on it. I only have a 20" bar on mine. The max you could order for it was a 28".. Mwahahahahaha! :D

Back