2015 Macbook

Etherton

Will Bang for Poof
I have a question about the 2015 Macbook but I am afraid I already know the answer... Is the SSD user replaceable? The only disassembled image I could find was on Engadget and I couldn't tell. It appears that everything is soldered in... I would want to upgrade the 256gb to 512gb down the road - if possible.

Only machine left that is easy to replace the HDD is the 13" MacBook Pro (non-retina)

These things now really are the audi's of the computer world. I've got an old inherited mbp that was dead... replaced the screen on it and have been using it since.. non serviceable almost everything means a big pass for the future. Bummer.

These things now really are the audi's of the computer world. I've got an old inherited mbp that was dead... replaced the screen on it and have been using it since.. non serviceable almost everything means a big pass for the future. Bummer.

People are becoming less and less concerned about "the future", as you refer to it as. Only tinkerers care about future upgrades.

A majority of the public looks at laptops, tablets, and phones as devices to be refreshed every 1-3 years. 1 if you're rich, 3 if it takes you more time to buy something new. If you're not in that range, then you're more than likely Ma & Pa and probably won't upgrade until something breaks. And only then if you're not in that 95-98 percentile do you fit into a category that would upgrade or fix a machine.

It's a super subset, and a tiny minority. Apple is catering to the masses. If that doesn't fit you, they make no apologies. If you want or need that, buy something else. On the flip side, at least if you are a yearly flipper, you'll get at least 3/4 of your money back and you can afford to have the latest greatest machine for 1/4 price a year.

So what am I saying?
tl;dr: you either fit one of these types or you don't. Mac's aren't for everyone, and that is okay. That's why competition exists. There is no one size fits all solution.

I wouldn't want to completely dismiss the advantages of upgradability and replaceable batteries, but I'd agree that Apple is designing based on how most people use computers. A lot of us techies buy devices on the belief that we might upgrade them, one day, but the truth is that we don't often do it that much... especially on laptops, where there are fewer parts to upgrade in the first place.

That and Apple seems to be designing with a degree of future proofing in mind. With the 12-inch MacBook, the only real concern to me is the longevity of the Core M processor -- having had a 13-inch MacBook Pro for 1.5 years that still feels thoroughly modern, I'd say that 8GB of RAM and a fast SSD are plenty.

I wouldn't want to completely dismiss the advantages of upgradability and replaceable batteries, but I'd agree that Apple is designing based on how most people use computers. A lot of us techies buy devices on the belief that we might upgrade them, one day, but the truth is that we don't often do it that much... especially on laptops, where there are fewer parts to upgrade in the first place.

That and Apple seems to be designing with a degree of future proofing in mind. With the 12-inch MacBook, the only real concern to me is the longevity of the Core M processor -- having had a 13-inch MacBook Pro for 1.5 years that still feels thoroughly modern, I'd say that 8GB of RAM and a fast SSD are plenty.

I don't dismiss being able to upgrade machines. But like I said, and like you have also now said, it's an extremely tiny minority. If you want a faster machine, buy it to begin with. The money will come back to you anyway. A side effect of having non-upgradable machines is that they retain their value much better than machines that were upgradeable (and/or upgraded yourself). So after your 1-3 years with it you'll get more out on the opposite end.

Anyone here own the 2015 MB? [H] impressions? Keyboard solid? How are you getting along with the single USB-c?

Thanks!

I've got a Mid-2014 rMBP 15" and I took out the 512GB SSD and replaced it with a 1TB, was exceptionally easy as well. Unfortunately, that's about as far as the upgradeability goes on these things, and is nonexistent on the new 12". It's really just the way Apple is headed, and has been headed for a while now.

Honestly, with the way Apple laptops hold their value, I'll be able to grab a new 15" every 2 years and still get back close to what I paid for mine from a store. Minimal out of pocket money for a new machine every 2-3 years sounds solid to me.

Anyone here own the 2015 MB? [H] impressions? Keyboard solid? How are you getting along with the single USB-c?

Thanks!
It's the bastard love child of a 13" MBP and 11" Air. I tried it for a couple of days, then exchanged it for a 13" retina MBP. I thought the MB was under-powered in both CPU and GPU, especially at its $1300 price. The 13" retina is a much better buy with more power and better build quality, IMO.

The 12-inch MacBook is a fine machine... just not at $1,299.

I'm sure that's partly dictated by the tech (Retina displays and high-speed 256GB SSDs aren't cheap), but you get the impression that this is meant to be a $999 system, the absolute replacement for the Air. It's just coming out a year or two early.

I've given the keyboard a try a few times at our local store; of course it's not the same as owning it, but I'm not sure I could get along with it all that well, it's just too shallow of a click, it's difficult to even know if you're pressing keys sometimes. Think more surface touch keyboard rather than type keyboard, honestly.

I have a few other machines I compare to daily, I have a 11.6" Air from mid-2011, a 15" Pro from mid-2012 and use a 2013 rMBP 13 every day at work, all of which have incredible keyboards compared to the new MB (or at least, they're very consistent across the whole set of ranges I have access to).

I hope next on Apple's list is slimming the display bezels across the line.

Consensus is that the Air is on the way out in favor of this in the next few product cycles. Kind of like how the base MacBook got replaced by the Air at the same price points over time.

Yeah, their current line up is a little confusing. They've marketed the MBA as their ultra light laptop but the new MB now fills that niche. I have owned a nice MBA previously, 2012 model, and loved it but would like the retina in my next laptop purchase.

The new keyboard on the 2015 line of MBP is really nice. You get the same feel/feedback no matter where on the key you tap. That, along with the force touch pad, were why I sold my 2013 rMBP and picked up a 2015 version.

The 12" MB would be a lot more enticing at $1000. Maybe it'll be more reasonably priced once the Air is fully phased out.

I wasn't aware the 2015 models revised keyboards at all. Are they the same butterfly actuators but with the usual key press depth compared to the Retina MacBook? Aren't they the same as previous models?

The 2015 12" is the one that got the new thinner keyboard, with less travel.

I picked up a space gray yesterday at Best Buy while browsing (didn't expect them to have any on hand, they're sold out virtually everywhere). After a few hours, initial impressions are positive, this is a very solid machine in terms of build quality and overall feel. Keyboard took a few minutes to get used to with less travel, but the force touch track pad and the thin shape, coupled with the excellent screen, make for a great package. I think I'll probably keep it to use as a "not at home" machine for working on google drive docs for my projects, writing emails, and of course for watching movies/shows.

If anyone has a Best Buy elite or elite plus membership, I highly recommend taking a 30-45 day test drive with it to get some impressions. I was thinking I'd probably return it the next day and just grab an iPad Air 2, but this is much nicer than I was expecting. There is also a deal going on to save $150 with AppleCare on Adorama right now for anyone interested.

Thanks for your first impressions. Where is the deal on the Apple Care?

Well, after reading BiH115's mini-review I went and checked out one at the local Best Buy. I ended up grabbing one for a test drive and am really happy with it. It does everything I need it to do, has a great screen and I actually love the keyboard on it. I do realize I am still in the honeymoon portion of my testdrive though. I don't believe I'll miss the extra ports because I really never use them - much. I'll end up having to pick up a USB-c flash drive at some point or use the USB adapter. I am going to grab one from B&H because I can get one fully spec'd out (and color I want) for the same price I paid for this one. Admittedly, the cost of admission is a bit steep, it is what it is though... I paid a premium for the X1 Carbon too.

2015 rMB

https://flic.kr/p/wgGxZ9

1.3 GHz Intel Core M (Broadwell)
8GB of 1600 MHz LPDDR3 RAM
512GB PCIe-Based Flash Storage
Integrated Intel HD Graphics 5300
12" LED-Backlit IPS Retina Display

Last edited:
Solid man, I'm still loving mine, and look forward to using it every day. The keyboard grows on you day after day, imo at least. The best part is that it doesn't really heat up, and it never gets loud due to it not really having fans. Great machine overall for non-hardcore stuff.

Any of you guys experiencing better performance with 10.11 and Metal API?

English? Lol

Thought that was pretty clear? 10.11, El Capitán has a new low level graphics API that reduces the overhead between the GPU and the OS, similar to AMD Mantle, OpenGL Next, DX12 or... "Metal" from iOS.

Seeing as this machine is a pretty low speed processor, the machine has a lot to gain from an API that uses less overhead of the machine, every cycle counts.

Worth downloading El capitan beta then? Seeing a lot of reports online of solid performance on the macbook with the new OS.

Somewhat late to the party but I'll contribute my 2c -

Picked one up at launch (though I had to wait a couple of weeks for delivery). Matches my intended usage perfectly, which is to entertain myself while on the road. Slim and light so my carry-on isn't overweight, sufficient computing power to do everything I need (the usual movies, casual games etc). Lightroom works decently well but I don't do anything intensive.

Since I only use it when travelling I never need to plug anything in so one USB C only does not bother me. I picked up the adapter (USB 3.0, HDMI) but its still in the box. All I carry with me is a tiny USB C to 3 adapter and a SD card reader.

Like most things, its not for everybody, but it works very well for me.

so after playing with the keyboard and initially feeling appalled i actually love it. I wish all keyboards on my macs were like it. I'm holding out for a skylake macbook

Hmm, I would have a hard time justifying it for $1300 when you can get a 13" MBPr for $1300 (half the storage, but it's going to have better performance).

They're completely different machines. For what I need, the 2015 rMB has been great. No regrets.

I won't upgrade unless it has more ports. Not enough of a reason, for me, to upgrade for just a CPU refresh.

12" is probably not getting refresh any time soon.

I'm seeing deals on MBP13 and zero price movement on MB 12

Back