Best soundcard (that's not insane $)

topslop1

2[H]4U
I'm working with a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and I'm working with a 13 year old pair of Sennheiser HD 580's.

I've used the HD'd for hours a day each and every day for the most part. I'm wondering if I should refresh both the soundcard and the headphones or just the soundcard.

Anyhow, I'm sure the Audigy 2 is getting old as well.

What's the best yet still moderately priced soundcard available? I play CS GO and a few other online games, and I listen to some music here and there, but not a ton.

Better question: Has there been any great advancements in the past 10 years sound card wise for me to even merit an upgrade?

Last edited:
When I went from an Audigy 2 ZS to a Soundblaster Platinum Fatality X-FI card years ago, there was a significant improvement in music and games. It is a PCI card as well. The SB Titanium X-FI HD card is a PCI-E card, which is supposedly even better than my card. The [H] review of the Titanium HD is here:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/10/25/sound_blaster_xfi_titanium_hd_card_review/#.VDrEqxZCGiE

If you can go with a PCI-E card then I would choose a used Titanium HD. I keep a lookout for one on Ebay and [H] forums. Some people are asking ridiculous prices though on Ebay.
Also.. there are other versions of the PCI X-fi cards that can be as good as the card I'm using still.
Stay away from the X-Fi Xtreme Audio card as it does not have the EMU20K1 chip but is a re-branded Audigy SE. More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_X-Fi

The advancements in the X-fi line are probably the more significant in Creative's hardware sound solutions. I have not tried the Asus cards but have heard good things. I have an Auzentech Prelude X-fi card that is in my HTPC that is built better than the card I game on.

Last edited:
You're better off improving your speakers or headphones first, soundcard/DAC second.

If you can go with a PCI-E card then I would choose a used Titanium HD. I keep a lookout for one on Ebay and [H] forums.

Agreed on keeping an eye out for a used X-Fi Titanium HD. It's true that the Z series is newer, however that is a big part of the reason why you can sometimes find the Titanium HD for so cheap. Meanwhile, the DAC on the Titanium HD is equivalent to the DAC on the top-end Z model, the $$$ ZxR.

If you like your 580s and Sennheiser's sound signature, I've seen many guys recommend the HD650s as the best Senns without having money for HD800s, especially with used prices being within reason for the budget-conscious.

But everyone's different. Have you tried other brands/sound signatures? While for me Fostex TH900 are perfect (especially since my DAC works so well with them), it's all down to what you're looking for. Do you want more bass? Do you want bigger soundstage? Do you want a more refined sound? Do you just want to upgrade something in your PC? What don't you like about your headphones or their sound right now?

After you get past entry/mid-level HD580/600s, it really comes down to individual taste so take the stuff you read about audio with a grain of salt. Kinda like how some guys go for Porsche when I prefer Ferrari, the only way to find out what's best for you is to try and find out.

Last edited:
I just got a set of Sen HD 558 & Im very disappointed. They actually sound bad to my ears..I actually prefer my monoprice dj that were 29 bux...Sometimes more money doesnt mean its better...So now in need of another set..

Last edited:
Exactly what sounds good to me may sound bad to you or the other way around. Basically all everyone here is telling you what sounds good to them. Go and find some on display and try them out. That is going to be the easiest way to solve the issue. As far as the sound cards, anything is going to be better than onboard to begin with. Next would be product support such as drivers and features you need. Once you narrow those things down only a hand full of sound cards will be left standing.

A lot of stuff I use has to be totally redid on settings to make it where I like it. Some folks in here can listen to it straight out the box and be 100% happy. Hopefully you can find a happy medium on everything and go from there. But the "Z" series seems to be the new best thing now.

Unfortunately all the headphones you can buy online such as the sen 558 noone local carries...So you somewhat need to go off other experiences. Just like the monoprice i mentioned earlier I read about it online and was told how great they sound for mere 30 bux. They did impress for that price while the sen @ almost 4 times the cost did not!

I'll have to preface this by saying that I actually don't have much headphone experience.

I owned an audigy 2zs a long while back. I used it for gaming only. It was incapable of adequately powering many headphones. Yes - they sounded bad (worse than budget sets).

Amazon has the Z for $85 and the Zx for $105 right now. Not bad. I think the audio control module is the difference. Reviews seem a little better on Amazon, not sure how good these are for music.

The monoprice headphones lack detail when compared to a properly amped higher-end set, but they do have a decent quantity of bass. I did feel they were worthy of the $23 price, but I was still disappointed that they weren't a little more resolving. I'm not sure I believe all the hype surrounding so many of the budget headphones, and this is why I won't buy the Panasonic 600's or whatever until my designated low-budget closed headphones (monoprice) break.

I cannot comment on the Senn 558, but open headphones will have less bass, especially at the lowest octave.

You might check the Innerfidelity Wall of Fame for headphone recommendations and descriptions: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame

I'm personally conflicted between open and closed-back headphones. Open sets are capable of providing the midrange detail and spatial image I want, but they lack in the all-important bass (I'm a basshead).

As for higher-end sets, I'm strongly looking to try ($300-400):

NAD VISO HP50 (closed, won out over Focal Spirit Pro due to ear-cup dimensions)
Philips Fidelio X2 (open)

As for cheapest of the cheap headphones that I can (and do) drop on the ground: I use Koss KSC-75's more often than anything else. If you add a better-sealing closed earpad mod, the bass improves...but I can't be bothered...

Last edited:
My monoprice broke unfortunately so Im in need of a new set of cans that sound just as good but are more comfortable. My only issue with the monos was the comfort. They would often start to hurt my ears & head .After spending 100 bux on the senns I dont think its worth it to shell out so much money on headphones for me at least. Just dont mind paying extra for the added comfort over the mono's

Asus STX is still the best internal soundcard you can buy. They can be had for around $100 on ebay,

My monoprice broke unfortunately so Im in need of a new set of cans that sound just as good but are more comfortable. My only issue with the monos was the comfort. They would often start to hurt my ears & head .After spending 100 bux on the senns I dont think its worth it to shell out so much money on headphones for me at least. Just dont mind paying extra for the added comfort over the mono's

Sorry you didn't like the 558. Most people can hear the difference bw that and a closed headphone as a larger sound stage and more detail. People hear differently though.

To the OP, if you want a solid upgrade in directional sound, the AKG 700 series is a good bet. I got a 702 used for $140. You will want to add an amp for about $100 but could use your old sound card as a source.

ASUS Xonar DGX PCI-E GX2.5 Audio Engine Sound Cards would this be much better than a Creative Audigy 2? I use headphones and i see it has an amp

I've been fine with my Soundblaster Z. It'll re-encode stereo to Dolby Surround over digital. So if you have a good speaker system with digital in, it works great.

Back