Cheap SSD?

I would just check the FS forum.

I bought that same drive brand new in the 64GB flavor for $50 bux. I'm sure you can find a Intel G2 80GB for similar cost range you're looking for.

I bought two Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSDs. I would characterize it as a budget 120GB SSD. I'm not very pleased with its performance.
I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 (64 bit) on one and Ubuntu Studio 11.04 (64 bit) on the other. I installed TRIM support, but bugs keep coming up. In addition, the increased speed, although apparent, isn't all that impressive considering the cost and hassle. For my use, I wouldn't buy another SSD unless a drive failed and mechanical HDD prices were above or the same as SSD prices.
My guess is you get what you pay for- if you want a really fast and reliable SSD, expect to spend a bit more.

lol. to me "good ice cream" means chocolate and none else. No one cares.

The op cares. He did ask the question after all. :rolleyes:

I think you are about 2 years behind the times...

Based on what? Do you have numbers to back up your claim? I don't have a horse in the race. I'd be happy to see numbers that show Samsung, Crucial, Corsair, etc are as reliable as Intel.

Based on what? Do you have numbers to back up your claim? I don't have a horse in the race. I'd be happy to see numbers that show Samsung, Crucial, Corsair, etc are as reliable as Intel.

Devil's Advocate: I'd like for you to provide numbers that prove intel SSD's are more reliable than Samsung, Crucial, Corsair, etc.

You guys are trying to act all big and buff with your evidence claim. There isn't such a website that tests reliability over x amount of years.

The only things you can take from it, is from word of mouth. WOM states that Intel/Samsung/Crucial are the best right now in all categories.

So shut your pie holes. If you don't have a deal to help out the OP, then eat some pie.

So is Intel with their SSD pricing. Bulletproof units sure, but damn it the return on investment for drive space sucks.

theverge, or engadget, published a price leak for intel ssd's. Intel's finally starting to sell their SSD for market price. Add respectable performance and Intel's the way to go. Those OCZ Petrol drives be gone!

You guys are trying to act all big and buff with your evidence claim. There isn't such a website that tests reliability over x amount of years. The only things you can take from it, is from word of mouth. WOM states that Intel/Samsung/Crucial are the best right now in all categories.

Failure rate numbers for 45,000 Intel ssd drives:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/do...ability-of-intel-solid-state-drives-brief.pdf

To my knowledge, no other ssd manufacturer has published a similar study. That can only mean one thing: Their failure rates are higher. Otherwise, they would publish the data and issue press releases stating that they are every bit as reliable as Intel and are less expensive as well.

There isn't much good data on the other brands but if you look at what is out there you will find that the the top tier ssd's other than Intel are about as reliable as a spinning disk. The bottom tier cheapo ssd's are worse.

wiseoracle said:
So shut your pie holes. If you don't have a deal to help out the OP, then eat some pie.

I guess you missed the post where I pointed the OP to an Intel ssd in his price range...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
theverge, or engadget, published a price leak for intel ssd's. Intel's finally starting to sell their SSD for market price. Add respectable performance and Intel's the way to go. Those OCZ Petrol drives be gone!

Well it's about time! :cool:

Back