Lenovo Z510 just shut off and won't turn on, any ideas?

GMcDougal

Gawd
So my wife was using our 14 month old Lenovo Z510 and she says she heard a small pop and then the laptop shut off. Plugging it up to the A/C adapter yields no lights and no activity when hitting the power button. I'm guessing Lenovo is not going to honor the warranty being it just expired (just my luck). Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Do you have a cheap multimeter handy? See if you're getting power out of the brick.
Does the Z510 have a removable battery? Try removing it and seeing if it'll power up.

Laptops are the one thing I go for the extended warranty on. I want a minimum of two years' warranty on any laptop so I extend it out that far, three if the cost isn't that bad.

Sounds like it popped on battery so it's not the AC adapter. I suggest persuing it professionally with Lenovo support manager and on social media Facebook/Twitter/etc. and mention you put in positive reviews and would prefer not to have this experience change that. Worse case look at the YouTube videos on how to dissemble it, locate the blown component and replace it yourself or pay a shop to do it. Seems like the business Thinkpad line is better built.

Apparently my wife didnt get keep track of the battery and it died. The A/C adapter was plugged in fully to the brick causing it not to get a charge :rolleyes:. All is well now, thanks!

Back