XFX XTR 750 making a lot of noise

Borgschulze

2[H]4U
I've had this PSU since before Christmas time, it's the build in my signature.

I recently did a few upgrades, Crucial BX100 240gb SSD, and upgraded to 2x 8gb of the same model of memory.

That is all and well...

I also bought a 4TB Seagate Desktop HDD.15

Now, this 4TB Drive was a DoA, plugged it in, nothing.. platters didn't spin up, no clicks, chirps, whirrs, nothing...

This PSU though, it has always made some coil whine sounds...

After trying this 4TB HDD, it's gotten a lot louder.

Do you guys think the HDD could have shorted out and caused damage to my PSU?

I've already been thinking about getting a new PSU, and selling this one since I'm easily bothered by coil whine, and ticking fans, etc... and if I RMA the PSU, I'll just buy another one anyway, I can't survive on this planet for possibly weeks without a desktop.

exactly how has it got louder? the coil whine got louder? or fan started making ticking noise?
I doubt ones related to the other, as i figure it would have turned your pc off if it was shorting or never turned on. Having a backup supply for while your other is being rma'd is kinda crucial for most of us lol. Hell with not having a pc for that long:D
I been extremely lucky sound wise...never had coil/cap whine in my pc ever;)

The coil whine has gotten louder, at one point I thought it was my 500gb Laptop HDD that I have in this build... constantly seeking/caching, since I just did a fresh Windows install. Then I realized when I rebooted, it still did it, so put my ear next to it, and heard the coils vibrating.

Hey Borgschulze,

We're sorry you are having issues with your PSU.

Coilwhine is sometimes caused by the cable itself, the power strip or even the wall outlet. Have you tried swapping any of those components?

Either way, you can always send it to me and i can have it replaced for you. Our RMA turnaround time is 24 hours on PSU's and if you ship it attn MARK, I can get a same-day turn around on it. That still leaves in 3-5 days shipping to and fro, but it should be less than 2 full weeks.

PM me a ticket # if you already have 1 from xfxsupport.com, or simply create one and let me know.

Thanks

Last edited:
I've got to get a new PSU first.

The wall outlet has been replaced recently (less than 1 year), and all the cords between the wall and the PSU were new when I built this computer, have had whine since day 1.

What would be a safe wattage PSU for the build in my signature + 1 HDD. Only bought the 750w model because it was on sale when I build the computer, otherwise I would have got something cheaper.

Since I posted that, it's gotten even louder... and it's changing/pulsing a lot...

Have a good feeling it's going to quit pretty soon.

that puppy is load as hell......like a fan blade is hitting the guard almost.....afraid it would have to go back and im not really sensitive to noise

IF it were out of warranty, i would find what was making noise and glue the hell out of it:D

I considered doing that when I first bought it... but I thought, maybe it'll stop.. but nope, it got worse.

Then I thought, I shouldn't have to deal with this on a non-cheap power supply.

Back