Looking for easy way to batch convert ALAC to AAC/MP3?

TheGardenTool

2[H]4U
Anybody know of an easy way to batch convert Apple Lossless files into AAC or MP3? Would be great if it would also keep things organized. Need to put them onto an SD Card for use in the car. Looks like it could take forever trying to do it through iTunes. Everything is currently in a library on a Win7 computer so that would be preferred but I could transfer the files to a Mac first if it would make it any easier.

Try Foobar2000, you'll need some extra files(should be on the website, if not just google something like MP3 converter foobar). That's how I converted from FLAC to Apple Lossless and MP3's.

ffmpeg will do this. Make yourself a little batch script and wait. You'll need to send the files to LAME or another MP3 encoder if you want them in that format.

Max works pretty well and has a GUI:
http://sbooth.org/Max/

Interesting. I haven't heard of half of these options, except for Foobar, which to the last time I checked, wasn't available on OSX (although you could put it in a WINE wrapper).

I personally recommend XLD. It's probably the best conversion software on OSX I know of... if you want something a little bit more simple, then MAX does 90% of the stuff while being more friendly.

Both can encode/decode to basically anything, including CD ripping. This is probably one of the few areas in which Windows has a better program (as opposed to an equivalent program or OSX having a better program). EAC is just the best, but I don't maintain a Windows install or have a Windows machine anymore, and it's hard to justify having one for literally just EAC and Foobar2000.

EDIT:

Missed everything.... apparently you are on Windows and not on OSX making my comments worthless. EAC to rip disks, dBpoweramp if you need to convert. Ideally you don't want to have to do that though. EAC is ideally all you need.

Last edited:
Foobar2000 will encode multiple files at once if you have a multicore processor. Which is great.

Back