best monitor just for movies

emir7

Limp Gawd
hello guys, I'd like to buy the best monitor for movies. So far I really like samsung s27b971d. Nothing too expensive, 1.5k dollars budget. Thanks.

check out those
BDM4065UC
S34E790C
HP Envy 32
S27D590CS
S27C750P,EW2740L

which one would you choose as the best? The movies would be seen at night.

It depends. How far away are you sitting from the monitor? Are you going to use it for anything else besides movie-watching? How much do you care about 4K/3D/having a curved screen?

If you have the typical living room arrangement and are hooking this thing up to an HTPC, you should really be looking at TVs instead of monitors.

For movies, you may want to get a projector instead. So much better than a monitor.

ozymandias, I want it at least 27 inches. I would be 1 feet away (I like to be so close I almost touch the screen lol). JUST for movies at night. I think 1440 is fine, depends on 4k scaling (if it's good enough to make it better than 1440 then yes).
I like animated movies a lot. 1.5k dollars budget. I want the best for that budget. (I heard s27b971d is good).
If you could answer soon it'd be awesome.

If you sit so close and with that budget I'd wait for the S34E790C, it is out soon.
Its big, curved (immersive), 21:9 and should have no glow and good contrast since its a VA Panel.
If you want extras like more hz, black frame insertion or active 3D then you have to get a TV instead of a monitor. (or the ROG Swift but it would be wasted only on movies and image won't look as good since it's TN)

I would buy it up till february, so I don't feel very confortable about being the guines pig lol.

Higher than 1080p for movies is stupid, in that list the Samsung S27D590CS seems best suited for your needs.

Still, personally I wouldn't buy a monitor.
I agree with the comment about TV's, they're best suited for movies, especially the higher-end 1080p HDTV with motion-compensation features.
The Sony W8 series for instance sport good VA panels with very good MotionFlow options, a guy with good knowledge explained those to me;

Clear means x2 for interframe creation, x2 for black frame insertion (24p x2 x2 = 96Hz)
Clear Plus means x2 for interframe creation, x2 for black frame insertion, x2 for backlight strobing (24p x2 x2 x2 = 192Hz)
Standard means x3 for interframe creation (24p x3 = 72Hz)
Smooth means x4 for interframe creation (24p x4 = 96Hz)
Smooth also means x2 for interframe creation on 30p sources (30p x 2 = 60Hz)

Sony aren't shitting you when it comes to watching movies, whatever the type of media (DVD, BR, DTV).

Careful though, only models starting at 50" feature such options, the smaller 42" ones don't (despite the marketed BS).
Too bad it's too big for you.

34" 21:9 monitor would be best for movies. Quite a few movies are shot in the cinema-wide format 2.35:1 so 21:9 screen shows the entire frame.

I bought the 25" LG since this is in my garage.

Probably something 4k. 2015 is really going to be the year of 4k.

But it won't be DCI 4K (17:9) or UHD (16:9) since IMAX cameras are prohibitively expensive to rent, not to mention most director's still believe ultra wide screen is "artistic". The majority of movies for at least the next decade on will still be probably 21:9 on 35mm film which means any 4K Blu Ray discs are just going to be 35mm film upscaled 3840x1635.

So if you want a monitor now, a 3440x1440 or 2560x1080 display is a good bet for movies.

I'd get a cheap 1080p plasma, and find a way to sit a bit farther away. Even a bad plasma still destroys an LCD in terms of contrast, motion clarity, and color production.

Just for movies? Size really matters.. And maybe VA panel for good blacks.. And 4k yes, since we are ~12 month away from first 4k blu-rays being available..

Which brings us to Philips BDM4065UC, 39.5". :p

Guys, has someone tried s27b971d? It is the monitor I mention at the beginning of this thread and read it is very good for movies. I like being 1 feet away from the monitor btw.

Guys, has someone tried s27b971d? It is the monitor I mention at the beginning of this thread and read it is very good for movies. I like being 1 feet away from the monitor btw.

Answer some questions for me.

1.) Where do you live?

2.) Are you playing movies off an external source (i.e bluray) or off your PC via a media player of some sort. "Animated movies" makes me think of anime.

3.) Do you want 1440p?

4.) Do you mind IPS glow?

5.) Do you have control of your lighting?

6.) Why are you considering the S27B971D over any other potential choices?

Nikyo:

1: spain (I don't think it's relevant though, I can get anything from the other european countries without paying taxes).

2: I would movies online (streaming) in 1080p and download in 1080p as well and watch them from my monitor. I love anime, pixar and disney movies and these would be 70-80% of my use (the rest would be real life movies and series such as game of thrones, spartacus...).

3: since I want it to be 27 inches at least, I've heard 1440 is the bare minimum (plus I want to be really close to the monitor (anime subtitles being one of the reasons).

4: Up till now I've only used dell laptops of 17 inches. Right now I use intel inside core i5 with radeon graphics.

5: I'd use it in a living room. I'd be alone though, so I can close windows (I can be in complete darkness if I wish at broad daylight) and use lights as I deem necessary.

6: I read in one forum S27B971D is great for pixar movies (which I think would apply to anime...).

Nikyo:

1: spain (I don't think it's relevant though, I can get anything from the other european countries without paying taxes).

2: I would movies online (streaming) in 1080p and download in 1080p as well and watch them from my monitor. I love anime, pixar and disney movies and these would be 70-80% of my use (the rest would be real life movies and series such as game of thrones, spartacus...).

3: since I want it to be 27 inches at least, I've heard 1440 is the bare minimum (plus I want to be really close to the monitor (anime subtitles being one of the reasons).

4: Up till now I've only used dell laptops of 17 inches. Right now I use intel inside core i5 with radeon graphics.

5: I'd use it in a living room. I'd be alone though, so I can close windows (I can be in complete darkness if I wish at broad daylight) and use lights as I deem necessary.

6: I read in one forum S27B971D is great for pixar movies (which I think would apply to anime...).

Alright, my top picks for you would be as follows:

1.) The Glossy Crossover 2720MDP/2730MD (They're the same monitor, the 2720MDP has more inputs. It's basically the premier glossy 1440p monitor, which if you can control your lighting, is more than likely the best choice for movie watching.)

2.) The Semi-glossy BenQ BL3200PT (This one uses a VA panel, meaning it offers incredibly deep blacks without IPS glow, it also covers 100% of the sRGB color space. Slower pixel response than IPS panels, but you're not using it for gaming so I imagine this is less of an issue for you. It is, however, 32" and that may be too big for you; you tell me.

3.) The Semi-glossy LG 27MB85R (Uses an IPS panel. I actually prefer this one over the BenQ, but I also sit further than 1 foot away, meaning IPS glow is not actually present to me. Excellent color presets, low input lag, great pixel response and covers over 99% of the sRGB color space. Also comes with a colorimeter than be used in conjunction with LG's colourprime software for calibration.)

There's really no point in considering the Samsung because it's rather old and performs exactly the same as the S27B970D, minus the use of edge-to-edge glass. it's also insanely overpriced. The monitors listed will offer superior performance for your case.

I don't know what exactly is available in Spain, so take a look at those and tell me what you're able to buy and I'll make suggestions on what's available to you.

Also take a look at NCX's best 27" 1440" monitor list.

I'm also a big fan of animation myself (I'm a big sakuga fanboy), and I own at least two of the monitors listed/have tested quite a few 1440p monitors at this point. NCX is far more knowledgeable than me, and his list is extremely accurate; but again, let me know what's available to you.

Last edited:
I can buy them all from my country except the first one. If I were to say 100% use for anime, which one would you choose without budget restrictions.
Btw, I've only used matte screens, so I'm not sure I'd like glossy or not.

I almost forget, I've heard ghosting is horrible for movies/animation, so I'd rather have no ghosting.

I can buy them all from my country except the first one. If I were to say 100% use for anime, which one would you choose without budget restrictions.
Btw, I've only used matte screens, so I'm not sure I'd like glossy or not.

I almost forget, I've heard ghosting is horrible for movies/animation, so I'd rather have no ghosting.

I'd give the edge to the LG 27MB85R, for sure. The BenQ is great for dark scenes, but you're sitting so close that you probably won't fill your field of vision with a 32" monitor, so you'll probably experience some loss of color saturation around the edges if you were to use the BenQ. The LG is also noticeably sharper due to it's higher PPI, and has a much better scalar/is more feature rich on the off-chance you want to use your monitor for more than just movies. They're also pretty much equal as far as color fidelity is concerned.

The LG has much better pixel response so it ghosts less than the BenQ.

I should also mention, if you don't already know, that semi-glossy = a light matte coating that doesn't degrade image quality, so you won't have to worry about reflections and your image quality will still be superb.

@Zepher: Anime is encoded @ 16:9, a 21:9 screen would be useless. Not to mention that curved screens suffer from horrible backlight bleed in all four corners, have much higher input lag, and use heavier matte coatings than 27" 1440p monitors.

really, that 34" screen has all those problems? I'd be pretty bummed paying $1300 for a monitor that doesn't perform.

really, that 34" screen has all those problems? I'd be pretty bummed paying $1300 for a monitor that doesn't perform.

Yep, you can check out the thread for it here for some backlight bleed pictures: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1837058

Also, prad's input lag measurement: http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2014/test-lg-34uc97-s-teil7.html

It's basically a $1300 hunk of junk, but the 'enthusiasts' interested in it have no standards of quality.

Nikyo, is LG 27MB85R>s27b971d?
As I said, money is not a factor.

Yes, the LG is superior by leaps and bounds.

is LG 27MB85Z better, cause it says it has 1 billion colors (8 + frc) vs 16 million LG 27MB85R. 640 vs 800 €, really small difference in price.
Also, why is LG better than the samsung (which is 1k €) for animation?

is LG 27MB85Z better, cause it says it has 1 billion colors (8 + frc) vs 16 million LG 27MB85R. 640 vs 800 €, really small difference in price.
Also, why is LG better than the samsung (which is 1k €) for animation?

The LG 27MB85Z is the wide gamut version which is only useful for professional work as it covers a larger percentage of the Adobe RGB gamut. You won't need this because the content you consume uses the sRGB gamut, which is 16.7 million colors wide. Buying the LG 27MB85Z would just oversaturate colors and make them look awful.

The LG 27MB85R is superior to the S27B971D because it has far superior out of box contrast, and far superior calibrated contrast (deeper blacks), as well as having significantly lower input lag (the LG has 6.8 ms vs the Samsung's 28 ms). They both cover the same percentage of the sRGB gamut. The LG 27MB85R also has a superior stand, larger variety of features, and excellent color presets. I'd also wager that the LG's build quality is far superior to Samsung's as I've tested three LG's and everyone single one of them was free of backlight bleed. The LG is the best semi-glossy 27" 1440p monitor, hands down. Plus, it comes with a colorimeter that can be used for calibration in conjunction with LG's colourprime software, as I said.

Also, the Samsung is so overpriced it's ridiculous.

with those words I can hardly resist to buy it lol.
but you sure there is no other monitor better for my purposes? Just to make sure.

also, some of the anime I download in 1080p are in 10 bit (I don't know it affects stuff), in relation to
LG 27MB85R vs LG 27MB85R

with those words I can hardly resist to buy it lol.
but you sure there is no other monitor better for my purposes? Just to make sure.

also, some of the anime I download in 1080p are in 10 bit (I don't know it affects stuff), in relation to
LG 27MB85R vs LG 27MB85R

Not a single one is going to beat the LG 27MB85R for your purposes.

Hi10p (10-bit) is still using the sRGB gamut and not the Adobe RGB gamut, so you'll gain nothing out of owning a wide-gamut monitor like the LG 27MB85Z.

I've never used a desktop so I'm a little lost though. I chose this one cause the specs it has are higher than its competence (then again I don't understand what some of those features actually do).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back