Galaxy Note 4

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Well it's almost official. Samsung has announced that September 3rd at the IFA show in Germany, they are having an 'Unpacked" event, and in years past, that has always been the Note series official announcement.

http://www.sammobile.com/2014/07/31/samsung-to-unveil-the-galaxy-note-4-on-september-3/

Rumored Note 4 spec's;

- 5.7" QHD (2560×1440) display
- Snapdragon 805 processor
- 3GB RAM
- Water resistant and dust proof
- 16MP camera

No idea yet of what build type it will be ? Metal like the HTC One or Apple iPhone ? Or more of the same, following the S5 design ?

And what about Android 'L', which is due to be released on the Nexus 6 Phablet in Oct / Nov, the Note 4 will ship with Android 4.4.3. Will the Note 4 get 'L' anytime soon, or is that held off for the Galaxy S6 ?

Last edited:
Definitely seems like another S5-type meh release.

The mobile industry used to excite my tech-geek side but it seems like it's hit 100% maturity like a lot of the other tech out there.

At this point it's the same as talking about the latest Dell laptop release.

This is depressing.

Hard to get excited about Samsung devices anymore with how much they saturate the market in every segment, esp. the tablet market. But with all these other Galaxy (LTE-A, Alpha, F, etc.) phones popping up as well, it's pretty much just as bad.

If they'd lighten up their UI/bloat and make it more aesthetically pleasing, they may have a shot at capturing my interest again. I love their hardware for the most part (esp. their SAMOLED displays), but their software needs a overhaul, because TW on the S5 didn't really fix any of the complaints they had with the previous revisions.

The only thing I don't like about my note 3 is the camera. Mine is just not very good although others like theirs.

Also I wish they would stop quoting "megapixels" They need a new spec. "It takes 9.4 seconds to whip this thing out of your pocket, unlock, open camera and snap picture". Nobody EVER quotes that spec although I would think it would be pretty important (it is to me).

Well, what else should we expect? "Faster, faster!" can't last forever.

This.

That said...either this or if Google cooks up a Nexus device in similar size factor will replace my Note 2. Given the entirely underwhelming support the Note2 got combined with Knox, I'm not wanting another Sammy device.

Faster performance can go on for a while -- it's screen size that can't. Samsung's problem has been its insistence that every new generation of certain phone lines must have a bigger display, usefulness be damned; it's now reaching the point where human anatomy (and realistic user tastes) prevent it from going much further.

I'll say this: if those specs are accurate (don't count on it), it'd still be a more noticeable update than the GS5 was, and it'll probably be a lovely phone. It'd also suggest that Samsung finally realizes that there's more to phones than a Freudian "mine is larger" competition.

Elaborate-any particular reason?

(just curious)

Power drain being the biggest only real reason why.

I'll say this: if those specs are accurate (don't count on it), it'd still be a more noticeable update than the GS5 was, and it'll probably be a lovely phone. It'd also suggest that Samsung finally realizes that there's more to phones than a Freudian "mine is larger" competition.

You think going from S800 to a S805 is a bigger leap then going from a S600 to a S801?

Power drain being the biggest only real reason why.

You think going from S800 to a S805 is a bigger leap then going from a S600 to a S801?

Thing is, if any device can adequately power a QHD panel, it is a Note sized device. Larger device=larger battery,

Faster performance can go on for a while -- it's screen size that can't. Samsung's problem has been its insistence that every new generation of certain phone lines must have a bigger display, usefulness be damned; it's now reaching the point where human anatomy (and realistic user tastes) prevent it from going much further.

Actually usefulness is one of the big reasons to have a larger-size display. People don't use a phone to talk much anymore. IOW, the "phone" ergonomics are the least important. They're mobile internet terminals, SMS terminals, and gaming devices.

Even the carriers admit this by happily uncapping talking minutes knowing most people simply don't use them. In stark contrast to data usage.

Thing is, if any device can adequately power a QHD panel, it is a Note sized device. Larger device=larger battery,

Valid, but imagine a device this size with a 1080p and the battery life it could get :eek: (I'm talking about the Note 3) :cool:

But at the same time I think the 805 uses less power than the S800 because of the shrinkage.

Had an S3 that I gave to my wife when I decided to get a Nexus 4. Couldn't be happier. The only drawback is the lack of a SD Card slot, but that is not an issue as 16GB is more than enough for me.

As for the S3, the wife loved it until a OTA update turned the phone into a super slow, hangs-all-the-god-damn-time little headache. Last friday I stumbled upon the news that Google Now Launcher was available for all Android 4.1+, so I installed it on the wife's phone and she now tolerates the once-great phone. My sister also has a S3 and asked me if I could do "the thing I did with her Motorola Quench" (CliqXT in USA), which was CyanogenMod. Now she's happy again with the S3.

I have a Galaxy Pro Tab 3 (SM-T210) that was slow as hell after an official update, plus all the trash Samsung ships with it. As there's no CM for it and there's no hope for a KitKat update, seems it's going to be stuck on 4.1.2. Rooted the damn thing, disabled all the Samsung trash, and installed Google Now Launcher. Smooth!

Conclusion? TouchWiz is like a evil Midas' touch. It turns anything into pure trash. I used to like Samsung devices because they were kept up-to-date, but seems they're not really committed to that as they were, so from now on I'll make sure to check for CM availability before buying anything Samsung..

Conclusion? TouchWiz is like a evil Midas' touch. It turns anything into pure trash. I used to like Samsung devices because they were kept up-to-date, but seems they're not really committed to that as they were, so from now on I'll make sure to check for CM availability before buying anything Samsung..

Yup. Between Knox and shit, Sammy and the carriers seem to want to kill Cyanogenmod on the Sammy phones and have done a very good job at that with the Knox-chipped handsets. CarbonROM support is what I've taken to looking for.

Unfortunately for basically everyone...Sammy loves their Knox crapware.

I'm on ATT, so the Note 4 is not even an option for me, it will be locked down tighter than a nuclear submarine :rolleyes: With locked bootloader, and Knox BS :mad:

Only way I can handle a Touchwiz device is with custom TW ROM's, that are tweaked to make the phone run smooth / faster, and give more tweaks and options, etc... But to be stuck with a bone stock Samsung phone, LOL no F'ing way :p Not even an option.

Is too bad the U.S. Carriers + Samsung have to sh!t on us now. I only had one Note phone, the Note 2 and it was an official ATT version, but back then they allowed the phone to be easily rooted, and custom Recovery installation was a cinch. And there were some awesome TW ROM's for the Note 2, it made the phone sooooooo much better, was way smoother and faster, with even batter battery life, thanks to the great developers working their magic on the Note 2.

Then the Note 3 came out, and ATT said F off, no more fun for you :mad: I assume the Note 4 to be the same.

Oh well, thank God, Google has the Nexus 6 Phablet 5.9" phone coming out this Fall by Motorola.

Had an S3 that I gave to my wife when I decided to get a Nexus 4. Couldn't be happier. The only drawback is the lack of a SD Card slot, but that is not an issue as 16GB is more than enough for me.

As for the S3, the wife loved it until a OTA update turned the phone into a super slow, hangs-all-the-god-damn-time little headache. Last friday I stumbled upon the news that Google Now Launcher was available for all Android 4.1+, so I installed it on the wife's phone and she now tolerates the once-great phone. My sister also has a S3 and asked me if I could do "the thing I did with her Motorola Quench" (CliqXT in USA), which was CyanogenMod. Now she's happy again with the S3.

I have a Galaxy Pro Tab 3 (SM-T210) that was slow as hell after an official update, plus all the trash Samsung ships with it. As there's no CM for it and there's no hope for a KitKat update, seems it's going to be stuck on 4.1.2. Rooted the damn thing, disabled all the Samsung trash, and installed Google Now Launcher. Smooth!

I have no problem stating that I think these are mostly over-embellished fabrications.

I have no problem stating that I think these are mostly over-embellished fabrications.

As with most things, it seems the internet gives way to people to express their profound problems with something they dislike.

I can see Cyanogenmod being useful on old 2010 era phones that stopped getting OS updates like my original Galaxy S but for 2012 Note II and international S3 I switched back from Cyanogenmod to stock TouchWiz ROM for the missing enhancements plus it just works unlike third party ROMs that can be hit or miss.

Actually usefulness is one of the big reasons to have a larger-size display. People don't use a phone to talk much anymore. IOW, the "phone" ergonomics are the least important. They're mobile internet terminals, SMS terminals, and gaming devices.

Even the carriers admit this by happily uncapping talking minutes knowing most people simply don't use them. In stark contrast to data usage.

Size is useful... to a degree. The problem is, your hands aren't getting any bigger, and your pocket probably isn't, either. There's also a question of diminishing returns. Is LG's 5.9-inch G Pro 2 that much more useful than a 5.7-inch Galaxy Note 3? Not really.

I used the Galaxy Mega 6.3 for a little while, and there's no question that it's less appealing than the Note 3, even if Samsung gave it the exact same specs. It's hard to use without grabbing it with both hands, and you'll always notice it when it's in your pocket. Phones in the 6-inch plus category are really meant for people in markets where a phone is more likely to be the only computing device you can afford, and an inferior experience on the move may be worth it when watching videos back home. Well, many people who can afford a smartphone in North America, Europe and other corners of the world can also afford a PC or tablet -- they can use the best device for a given job.

I used to like Samsung devices because they were kept up-to-date, but seems they're not really committed to that as they were, so from now on I'll make sure to check for CM availability before buying anything Samsung..

Verizon note ii just received a 4.4.(2 or 4 don't remember) update. I think that's being pretty committed considering its almost note 4 time.

Only problem I have with phones now is everything is locked down, and being on verizon pretty much my only hope is an exploit which is pretty much getting shut down on all new phones, or a developer edition which is usually months late to the party. I'm not paying verizon to use my phone as a hotspot when I have capped data, currently no exploits that work for wifi hotspot on my droid maxx, so I bust out my rooted and romed note ii if I know I am going to need a wifi hotspot.

Depending if the note 4 is pentile or not I may consider it, even on the 1080p pentile screens I can tell its pentile and not an rgb stripe.

By the time the GN4 comes out we will still see that Samsung has zero competition in this space. None of the other tablets have a stylus yet, removable batteries, SD cards, etc.... I hope the GN4 brings the finger print reader in. I have no complaints about the higher resolution. The pixels are still observable on my note 3 maybe this next step will finally make them disappear. I also hope the display is as good as the S5 which really addressed OLED weakness while not sacrificing its strengths.

Up or down a fraction of an inch is not going to bother me at all. I prefer a thin bezel but its not a deal breaker. I do hope camera shots get faster to take.

Oh, god forbid I can still discern the pixels on my OLED display...

Verizon note ii just received a 4.4.(2 or 4 don't remember) update. I think that's being pretty committed considering its almost note 4 time.

Only problem I have with phones now is everything is locked down, and being on verizon pretty much my only hope is an exploit which is pretty much getting shut down on all new phones, or a developer edition which is usually months late to the party. I'm not paying verizon to use my phone as a hotspot when I have capped data, currently no exploits that work for wifi hotspot on my droid maxx, so I bust out my rooted and romed note ii if I know I am going to need a wifi hotspot.

Depending if the note 4 is pentile or not I may consider it, even on the 1080p pentile screens I can tell its pentile and not an rgb stripe.

Yea...issuing one software update in 18 months of massive gaping security holes across all platforms does in no way qualify as being committed

Yea...issuing one software update in 18 months of massive gaping security holes across all platforms does in no way qualify as being committed

Sheesh dude, the Note 2 got many more updates than just ONE.

Sheesh dude, the Note 2 got many more updates than just ONE.

You're right...it got a minor update within a month or two of release...and then no updates, in spite of massive gaping security holes found in major software libraries, for the next 18 months.

That is called supporting your product. And "commitment".

Well, what else should we expect? "Faster, faster!" can't last forever.

Faster has been working for computers for their entire existence. Phones are just getting started.

Oh, god forbid I can still discern the pixels on my OLED display...

The irony couldn't be better, aren't you the guy who had to return like 3 surface pro 2s because you freaked out about minor details on the display quality?

You're right...it got a minor update within a month or two of release...and then no updates, in spite of massive gaping security holes found in major software libraries, for the next 18 months.

That is called supporting your product. And "commitment".

How many more major updates do you want? It got 4.1.2, 4.3 and 4.4.2. Oh woop, they skipped 4.2.

As far as supported phones goes, the Note 2 is up there as the most supported.

How many more major updates do you want? It got 4.1.2, 4.3 and 4.4.2. Oh woop, they skipped 4.2.

As far as supported phones goes, the Note 2 is up there as the most supported.

...Yea you fail to note that the handset only got 4.3 after 4.3 was already long since obsolete and a year and a half after 4.1.2 (hell even Cyanogenmod and Carbon had 4.4 nightlies out before TW 4.3). And like I said 18 months between major updates with a whole smattering of critical security vulnerabilities effecting basically the entire www.

In volume of updates sure...but "better far too late than never" is the mantra from Samsung. In fairness it worked brilliantly for them....within 18 months after Sammy 4.1.2, all the devs on XDA sold off their Note2s in glee over the new Note3...apparently blissfully blind to the prospect of the same exact thing happening on their new shiney.

...Yea you fail to note that the handset only got 4.3 after 4.3 was already long since obsolete and a year and a half after 4.1.2 (hell even Cyanogenmod and Carbon had 4.4 nightlies out before TW 4.3). And like I said 18 months between major updates with a whole smattering of critical security vulnerabilities effecting basically the entire www.

In volume of updates sure...but "better far too late than never" is the mantra from Samsung. In fairness it worked brilliantly for them....within 18 months after Sammy 4.1.2, all the devs on XDA sold off their Note2s in glee over the new Note3...apparently blissfully blind to the prospect of the same exact thing happening on their new shiney.

Look I know you want Samsung to release an update 1 week after google every time but the reality is you have to compare to actual competition. Which would mean phone companies readily available in the USA on US carriers. So does HTC, LG, etc do a better job?

Look I know you want Samsung to release an update 1 week after google every time but the reality is you have to compare to actual competition. Which would mean phone companies readily available in the USA on US carriers. So does HTC, LG, etc do a better job?

Would I love updates 1 week after google? Of course. Do I expect it? No. In lieu of a plethora of critical vulnerabilities is 18 months between updates in any way on this Earth acceptable? Hell no.

Put it this way Samsung and all of them could get updates out within a week of Google. They seriously could. They choose not to. That a bunch of teenagers living in their parent's basement on XDA can, without any access to drivers or source code, reverse engineer ROMs within days of Samsung releasing them and generate custom images...shows how easy it is, even when you are hamstrung by not having source/drivers/etc.

It shows how truely pathetic the update effort for these OEMs is when a bunch of f'in teenagers can do a more timely job with no tools, no code, and no training. Just because everyone else is a bunch of schmucks too in no way excuses it.

Oh so you know what I see? 100% wrong, if you know what pentile has issues displaying its quite easy to pick it out.

I've been hearing these "super-human eye" delusions of grandeur for years now and no, I do not believe you.

It's more than likely just another one of the long list of non-issues that people love to complain about.

Would I love updates 1 week after google? Of course. Do I expect it? No. In lieu of a plethora of critical vulnerabilities is 18 months between updates in any way on this Earth acceptable? Hell no.

I refuse to believe that there were a "plethora of critical vulnerabilities" of any consequence at all in the Note 2.

Put it this way Samsung and all of them could get updates out within a week of Google. They seriously could. They choose not to. That a bunch of teenagers living in their parent's basement on XDA can, without any access to drivers or source code, reverse engineer ROMs within days of Samsung releasing them and generate custom images...shows how easy it is, even when you are hamstrung by not having source/drivers/etc.

Most of these reverse-engineered ROMs are unmitigated trainwrecks that would sink a company in two weeks if they released anything like them. You only get one shot to get it right.

Most of the delays are likely related to wranglings in the legal department anyway. It's like when you have a fire and the structure can be rebuilt in a month but it takes a year for the insurance money to come through.

PenTile vs. RGB has been a real concern, but it's fading away as the technology and resolutions improve. If you can spot the difference on a quad HD 5.7-inch screen, I'd be pretty impressed.

I've been hearing these "super-human eye" delusions of grandeur for years now and no, I do not believe you.

It's more than likely just another one of the long list of non-issues that people love to complain about.

How about this, go to hardocp.com on a pentile screen phone, on the red boxes around the pictures there will be solid lines on the top and bottom, but on the left hand side where its jammed up to the side of the screen it will look jagged and dotted. This is because the red (also blue as well) pixels cannot be lined up in a row exactly in one of the directions (either horizontal or vertical, or both depending on the pixel arrangement). The right hand side will look odd as well because it will either use two sub pixels one line and one on the next or it will use just one per line giving an odd jagged line, or one on one line and skip the next line. It's super easy to pick out on any pentile screen. Rgb stripe doesn't have these issues because they can be lined up exactly in both directions.

Here's a pic of an example on what some do for straight lines, really depends on the pentile screen because the sub layouts change and each displays straight lines differently, but its pretty easy to pick out if its pentile or rgb stripe.

But haters gonna hate.

Last edited:
How about this, go to hardocp.com on a pentile screen phone, on the red boxes around the pictures there will be solid lines on the top and bottom, but on the left hand side where its jammed up to the side of the screen it will look jagged and dotted. This is because the red (also blue as well) pixels cannot be lined up in a row exactly in one of the directions (either horizontal or vertical, or both depending on the pixel arrangement). The right hand side will look odd as well because it will either use two sub pixels one line and one on the next or it will use just one per line giving an odd jagged line, or one on one line and skip the next line. It's super easy to pick out on any pentile screen. Rgb stripe doesn't have these issues because they can be lined up exactly in both directions.

But haters gonna hate.

It looks absolutely fine on my ancient-ass Galaxy S.

Maybe I have to order a pair of delusion goggles to see what you claim to see. And even then I couldn't imagine it'd be in my list of top 100 things I'd notice.

Maybe I have to order a pair of delusion goggles to see what you claim to see.

Or maybe you are just blind... Put a white line on the edge and you'll turn it into a colored line depending on the pentile screen as well.

Or maybe you are just blind... Put a white line on the edge and you'll turn it into a colored line depending on the pentile screen as well.

So now I need special goggles and LSD?

I'm sure all of these things are noticeable under 15,000x magnification spectrometer cross-pollination analysis, but let's be real here... nobody's going to notice that on a regular basis. If you notice that without squinting and staring super-hard at the screen, you're experiencing some kind of placebo-like effect. "I've seen it once before and now I can't get it out of my mind!"

Back