UEFI, Windows 8.1, 3TB and booting from flash drive.

Manofsteel

Weaksauce
So I bought a WD Green 3TB and made two partitions > 40Gb and the rest as second partition. Since the second partition is more than 2.2 TB I had to partition entire drive with GPT.

I was not able to install windows 8.1 from a flash drive on it. Later I realized I had to enable EFI from BIOS, which I did but the BIOS had no option of enabling EFI Boot from USB HDD,

only CD/DVD.

Does this mean I will not be able to install windows on a GPT partition with a USB flash drive or am I missing something?

Anyone using windows on GPT partition installed with a flash drive?

Thanks.

Last edited:
My GPT Windows 7 and 8 installs were both done from a flash drive using Rufus to create the media. I also went through the heartache of manually creating media a few years ago. But again, with Rufus the copy boot folder is not necessary.

I still don't understand why "Option 2" on that site is necessary if you properly format the USB drive. The DVD drive doesn't have files in that boot folder and still works. Whatever the problem is, Rufus solves it when you select the "MBR and GPT" systems option.

For the USB drive, it adds some sort of secondary EFI folder when you set it up for GPT. I installed Windows 8.1 just fine using my flash drive and UEFI, did it multiple times.

For the USB drive, it adds some sort of secondary EFI folder when you set it up for GPT. I installed Windows 8.1 just fine using my flash drive and UEFI, did it multiple times.
So you're saying Rufus just creates the folder that we've been creating manually all this time?

Do I select this:

2cpar9y.jpg

while making a bootable flash drive. The drive is USB3, does it complicate anything?

My board is Gigabyte Ga78LMT-USB3:

Has something called Hybrid EFI Technology.

"Hybrid EFI Technology combines the benefits of GIGABYTE's mature BIOS platform including stability and compatibility with 3rd party products with 3TB+ HDD support from EFI technology, allowing GIGABYTE to offer the best of both worlds through a quick and easy BIOS update using GIGABYTE's @BIOS utility that is freely available from the GIGABYTE website.
GIGABYTE DualBIOS™ is a patented technology that automatically recovers BIOS data when the main BIOS has crashed or failed. Featuring 2 physical BIOS ROMs integrated onboard, GIGABYTE DualBIOS™ allows quick and seamless recovery from BIOS damage or failure due to viruses or improper BIOS updating. In addition, GIGABYTE DualBIOS™ now supports 3TB+ (terabyte) hard drive booting without the need for partitioning, and enables more data storage on a single hard drive."

http://www.gigabyte.in/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4305#ov

Not working man! Pc was stuck @ "Verifying DMI Pool Data" forever...

I should try to burn it on a DVD and try again..

USB 3.0 shouldn't complicate things, but you should make sure it's on one of the native USB 2.0 ports, not a USB 3.0 port that's on an external controller.

I noticed a weird issue when trying this yesterday. Very weird as rufus would not complete a format on a usb key I has. I solved this by switching from usb 2 to 3 ports on the computer and was able to make the uefi boot key. I also had a tough time with my asrock board detecting the usb key as a uefi bootable device, which a bios update fixed. The next problem when doing the windows install it would only let me create a 2tb partition... well I made the 2tb partition then used the expand disk command in the installer and viola... it worked. Kind of a pita however.

USB 3.0 shouldn't complicate things, but you should make sure it's on one of the native USB 2.0 ports, not a USB 3.0 port that's on an external controller.
Please elaborate. I tried the front & rear ports, same error in all. Maybe i need a BIOS update.

Last edited:
On AMD 7xx boards, USB 3.0 is provided by an external controller. You should use the USB 2.0 ports to prevent conflicts with the external controller.

However, rereading that, I dont' believe Gigabyte's hybrid EFI is a true implementation of UEFI.

Yep, Gigabyte's hybrid EFI is simply a modified Award BIOS. There is no way you can do a UEFI installation on that board.

On AMD 7xx boards, USB 3.0 is provided by an external controller. You should use the USB 2.0 ports to prevent conflicts with the external controller.

However, rereading that, I dont' believe Gigabyte's hybrid EFI is a true implementation of UEFI.

Yep, Gigabyte's hybrid EFI is simply a modified Award BIOS. There is no way you can do a UEFI installation on that board.
Thanks.
This is the board:
http://www.gigabyte.in/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4305#sp
What is "DualBIOS™ 3TB+ HDD Support (Hybrid EFI Technology) "?
I tried with a DVD as well. No luck. I was wondering if it is really worth bothering about GPT. I can format entire HDD and do MBR partition. I think GPT is the future so wanted to do it the GPT way.

Yeah, Gigabyte was late to the UEFI game. That board is one of those that does not have UEFI, and therefore will not support UEFI boot or GPT.

True UEFI means it has mouse support.

My Dell Inspiron 17R SE laptop with full UEFI support and a text based BIOS says hello.

My MSI AM1I Socket AM1 board with full UEFI support and a text based BIOS says hello as well.

No mouse support in the BIOS on either.

:cool:

What does Gigabyte mean by Hybrid EFI? I wonder what they are advertising.
Yeah, Gigabyte was late to the UEFI game. That board is one of those that does not have UEFI, and therefore will not support UEFI boot or GPT.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, any Z77 board or newer should have UEFI. Basically, look for boards that state UEFI instead of hybrid EFI.

Any particular reason for sticking with Gigabyte?

If I recall correctly, any Z77 board or newer should have UEFI. Basically, look for boards that state UEFI instead of hybrid EFI.

Any particular reason for sticking with Gigabyte?
I like the brand because of better after sales in my country. Failure % is much lesser than Asus, Intel and others. They kinda die less often.

Later I tried installing windows technical preview using the same USB drive on a USB 3 port and it did not work. It worked on a USB 2 port!

Was wondering if this board also has USB 3 via external controller?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4998#sp

Have decided to go for it along with i5 4440.

Regards.

I haven't been able to do a UEFI install of Server 2012 from USB. I have done UEFI of Server 2008 from DVD though.

Hmm..

The H97 chipset supports up to 6 USB 3.0 ports, so it doesn't make sense for the manufacturer to spend more money adding additional controllers for more ports.

Wow. So I will be able to install OS from a USB pen drive on a USB 3 port :):D
The H97 chipset supports up to 6 USB 3.0 ports, so it doesn't make sense for the manufacturer to spend more money adding additional controllers for more ports.

Just upgraded to this motherboard :Gigabyte H97M-DS3P

BIOS has mouse support in it. Finding a bit complicated as of now..

Back