Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups

HardOCP News

[H] News
Blue's News has posted a follow-up to that whole Far Cry 4 Key revocation mess that has left many gamers out in the cold with a deactivated game.

These keys were purchased illegally through Origin: "In this case, we confirmed activation keys were recently purchased from EA's Origin store using fraudulent credit card information and then resold online. These keys may have been deactivated. Customers who may have been impacted should contact the vendor where they purchased the key for a refund."

"Hey, you know those guys that stole credit cards and bought games to sell to you? Contact them about getting a refund."

Had no idea one could purchase giftable copies on Origin.

Anyway, was these copies sold by G2A themself, or a 3rd party sold them through G2A?

If the keys were purchased with stolen credit cards and then re-sold, you can't blame them for pulling the keys.

If I buy a $30k car and the police find out it's stolen, I'm out $30k.

I'll probably get flamed for this (putting on his asbestos boxers) but if you buy grey market keys you run this exact risk of getting burned. Sometimes it works out fine and you save some $$$ and have no issues. I don't generally find it worth the risk or time.

But people will be butthurt over this no matter what.

If the original vendor knew the credit cards were stolen, why did the vendor allow to go through in the first place.

Sounds made up to me. Its easy to magically come up with a story to back up your claim. Just playing devils advocate ;)

I'll probably get flamed for this (putting on his asbestos boxers) but if you buy grey market keys you run this exact risk of getting burned. Sometimes it works out fine and you save some $$$ and have no issues. I don't generally find it worth the risk or time.

But people will be butthurt over this no matter what.

The risk is not limited to grey market, but also after-market. Places that resell games such as Half-Price Books. A large part of this DRM scheme is not about pircay, but about eliminating the aftermarket sales.

If the original vendor knew the credit cards were stolen, why did the vendor allow to go through in the first place.

How would they know they were stolen? When you pay for fuel at the pump with a stolen card, how do they check?

Recieving stolen goods is exactly that. People need to learn their lesson and shop from reputable vendors.

If the keys were purchased with stolen credit cards and then re-sold, you can't blame them for pulling the keys.

If I buy a $30k car and the police find out it's stolen, I'm out $30k.

yeah... but it's not a car. It's a digital copy of a game that can be given to multiple people an unlimited number of times without hurting anyone.

The classy thing to do would have been to un-authorize any codes that haven't been claimed yet and let users who have already added the game to their libraries keep it.

yeah... but it's not a car. It's a digital copy of a game that can be given to multiple people an unlimited number of times without hurting anyone.

Except the publisher, developer, and anyone else in connection with making the game. They have a right to be paid for every copy being used.

The credit card company could chargeback the original seller, ie Origin/Ubi, who would be out the money for the product currently being used.

As much as I hate Origin and Ubi they did the right thing. Told the users of stolen keys to contact the retailer they bought from or their credit card company/bank to get a refund that way. Kinguin and G2A are also doing the right thing and giving refunds.

Also just because your copy is a digital copy; that doesn't mean you can freely distribute it to anyone you want. Read the license agreement.

The classy thing to do would have been to un-authorize any codes that haven't been claimed yet and let users who have already added the game to their libraries keep it.

That is not how this works; that is not how any of this works. Stolen property is still stolen.

So you are saying let users, who went to a shady software vendor to save cash, and obtained stolen keys should be allowed to keep their stolen property? Buyer beware. If the deal looks too good to be true or the deal is with a questionable company then you are better off skipping it.

How is that classy ? More like stupid.
You don't reward criminal behavior.
People should only buy games from reputable places, not on fleabay from a unknown user or forums that have a for sale section where you don't know the person, or anywhere else.
All this to save a few $$$, and they got what they deserved.

Credit card companies should be able to issue refunds and protect against such purchases, so no harm done hopefully, just an inconvenience.

What I would like to know is, why is EA selling Ubisoft keys? Something smells bad here.

Except the publisher, developer, and anyone else in connection with making the game. They have a right to be paid for every copy being used.

The credit card company could chargeback the original seller, ie Origin/Ubi, who would be out the money for the product currently being used.

As much as I hate Origin and Ubi they did the right thing. Told the users of stolen keys to contact the retailer they bought from or their credit card company/bank to get a refund that way. Kinguin and G2A are also doing the right thing and giving refunds.

Also just because your copy is a digital copy; that doesn't mean you can freely distribute it to anyone you want. Read the license agreement.

That is not how this works; that is not how any of this works. Stolen property is still stolen.

So you are saying let users, who went to a shady software vendor to save cash, and obtained stolen keys should be allowed to keep their stolen property? Buyer beware. If the deal looks too good to be true or the deal is with a questionable company then you are better off skipping it.

How is that classy ? More like stupid.
You don't reward criminal behavior.
People should only buy games from reputable places, not on fleabay from a unknown user or forums that have a for sale section where you don't know the person, or anywhere else.
All this to save a few $$$, and they got what they deserved.

Origin shouldn't allow customers to buy and sell game codes if they aren't willing to eat it when people take advantage of the system. Gifts should just be bought and sent directly to the users origin account.

The developer should have gotten paid anyways. When Walmart takes a stolen CC they don't get to contact the item wholesalers and say we want our money back. It's EA who should be eating the shit here.

What EA is doing is pissing off a bunch of people who are origin customers. How many of these people are going to go out and buy another copy now? I would be willing to bet not many. And how many customers are going to want to continue using origin?

Notice how I said "classy" and not "within their rights" or "most profitable." Fix your system so this doesn't continue being a problem, keep you customers happy, take a small hit. In the long run you're going to come out ahead.

Credit card companies should be able to issue refunds and protect against such purchases, so no harm done hopefully, just an inconvenience.

Excatly! The gamers won't be out of pocket and neither should Ubi.

What I would like to know is, why is EA selling Ubisoft keys? Something smells bad here.

Ubi and EA cross market each others products. Ubisoft sells EA on the Ubistore and EA sells Ubi through Origin. Just to get a broader audience.

How would they know they were stolen? When you pay for fuel at the pump with a stolen card, how do they check?

Recieving stolen goods is exactly that. People need to learn their lesson and shop from reputable vendors.

Pretty easy to know they were stolen when the Owner of the card calls the credit card company and complains about a purchase they never made. Hence a charge back happens and key gets disabled or banned in this case.

Origin shouldn't allow customers to buy and sell game codes if they aren't willing to eat it when people take advantage of the system. Gifts should just be bought and sent directly to the users origin account.

The developer should have gotten paid anyways. When Walmart takes a stolen CC they don't get to contact the item wholesalers and say we want our money back. It's EA who should be eating the shit here.

What EA is doing is pissing off a bunch of people who are origin customers. How many of these people are going to go out and buy another copy now? I would be willing to bet not many. And how many customers are going to want to continue using origin?

Notice how I said "classy" and not "within their rights" or "most profitable." Fix your system so this doesn't continue being a problem, keep you customers happy, take a small hit. In the long run you're going to come out ahead.

What part of stolen goods do you not understand? Stolen goods are confiscated and returned to the original owner whenever possible, it doesn't matter if the person who has it knows that it was stolen or payed money for it.

It sounds like you're upset about getting a key pulled but if you bought it from a shady grey market site then you don't have anyone to blame but yourself because this has been happening since these types of sites were first around.

These are the same guys that were scamming charity drives by reselling Humble Bundle keys for profit.

Buying from a grey market is like buying grey water. You can claim ignorance of what makes the grey water grey all you want to, but you were still buying poopy water, and you'll get no sympathy from anyone when you complain about consequences when you suffer them.

Not Steve where I stand on this. I think it would have been a nice gesture on Ubi's part to not deactivate the stolen keys. However I don't like the precedent it sets in letting the buyer off the hook when they should have been suspicious about the transaction in the first place.

What part of stolen goods do you not understand? Stolen goods are confiscated and returned to the original owner whenever possible, it doesn't matter if the person who has it knows that it was stolen or payed money for it.

It sounds like you're upset about getting a key pulled but if you bought it from a shady grey market site then you don't have anyone to blame but yourself because this has been happening since these types of sites were first around.

1. I have no interest in farcry 4.

2. I would have downloaded it for free before buying shady discount keys. But honestly I don't have time to play my games I'm willing to pay for let alone pirate mediocre games.

3. I already clarified that I understand how stolen goods work and that it would be a class act for EA to support its customers, not legally required by any means. Class act meaning going above and beyond what is required. It would have been a good chance to help with their already awful rep. It's not like it would have even dented them, http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1850320

meanwhile, pirated users are playing without a hitch.

This goes along with my point. EA is punishing customers who are actively using origin. Is taking games away that they paid for (even if it was shady and ea is going to take a hit.) going to make these long time loyal customers? Or is it going to cause them to go from the grey side to the darkside?

Personal responsibility appears to be something that many people no longer believe in. It is like seeing brand new merchandise at the flea market. Sometimes, it is stolen stuff that is being fenced.

Back