Question on strap and bag for D7000

sed8em

2[H]4U
2 quick questions on some gear for my new full size SLR.
Last camera was m4/3, and one before that was Fuji X. I used a leather wrist strap for those cameras. The D7000 came with a Nikon branded (and uncomfortable) neck strap.
What strap do you guys use for your large DSLR?

And what bag? At most I would be carrying the D7000 with one lens attached, and 2 more lenses.
If it helps, I like to hike with it, carry a Tokina 11-17mm and Nikon 55-300mm, plus a prime like the 35mm. Daughter is being born soon, and will want to comfortably carry around the D7000 and a couple lenses. I looked at some of the Lowe Pro sling bags, super expensive, are they worth it? One thing I didnt like about them is it seems the accessory sections are huge, plus a lot have iPad and Macbook air slots now. All I want to carry is the camera and a couple more lenses and a lens blower and lens pen.

Last edited:
I researched several of the most recommended straps/slings/etc and I think I like the idea of the Op Tech system.
I could get the Op Tech system universal connector and attach them to the camera, and buy the sling when hiking with a heavy lens, and get the wrist strap for carrying the D7000 and a lighter lens while following baby.

Has anyone here used that? Seems the most versatile to me.

Here's the thing: the reason why there are so many options on the market, is there is no best solution and a lot of it comes down to user preference (which of course is also some degree of usage case).

I personally shoot strapless at this point. I did buy a wrist strap for my camera, but I would say I'm in the minority in terms of using a wrist strap on a full sized dSLR (there are several manufacturers. I bought a first party Canon one, but Blackrapid, holdfast, and others have wrist straps for full sized dSLRs). I honestly don't even put my hand through even that that often. I also tend to like to keep my cameras in my hands, rather than just hanging, but I haven't done any hiking and shooting in probably 2-3 years. I'm mostly doing studio, event, and street photography. None of which I tend to feel like I need a strap for.

Before that I was using a Black Rapid strap, which was decent, although it (in my opinion) had design flaws, necessitating constant tightening as the straps didn't lock and over time the strap would extend and extend. Not sure if on newer models if thats been fixed. They also like you mentioned with Optech have a system to switch between straps or wrist straps. I think they were the first system to use a stud to swap. Now I think all the competitors have something.

If I was doing wedding photography and needed two camera in an event type setting, I would probably pick up a holdfast dual strap. Partly for security and partly because I think it would pair up well with slacks, a dress shirt, and a vest (blending at a wedding despite cameras is a good thing).

Generally I would avoid Optech. Some people swear by them, but I tend to think of them as an entry level brand. I wouldn't say there is anything 'wrong' with them, but I wouldn't pay full retail. You can generally find better for less. Although as as side note, I don't trust those type of connectors. Over time I would expect either the elastic part that attaches to the camera to wear and break, or the connector itself to get bent in over time. If there is even a chance my camera will end up on the floor one time from a faulty strap then I'm not using it. Of course a lot of that just could be my perception, but those 'clickable' connectors I've seen on other things have failed over time, enough for me to want to avoid them. Blackrapid as an example uses solid metal and a carabiner for security. There is basically zero chance of failure with that setup as compared to Optech.

===

As far as bags, oh man, that's a humongous world. There are tons of amazing manufacturers, but like I said before, it comes down to preference. It's gotten to the point where honestly you could probably find exactly or nearly exactly what you have envisioned in your mind, simply because there is probably some builder catering to that niche.

That said, if you like shoulder bags, then I would recommend the ThinkTank Retrospective series. Slightly pricey, but will last you your entire life if you take care of it. They also hold their value, so if you try it and don't like it, you'll more than likely be able to get most of your money out of it if you take care of it and sell it with all the accessories etc. It's offered in several colors and plenty of sizes depending on what you want or need.
The "daddy" in my mind will always be the Billingham Hadley. I probably wouldn't spend the money though, they are pricey. However they will last a lifetime and look great doing it and are I guess you could say a classic. I suppose if I was a Leica shooter and I wanted to 'complete the look' I would invest in a Hadley. Billingham offers a few colors (most notably tan, and black, but they have a green option as well) as well as different sizes for the Hadley and their other bags.

Last edited:
Not "that long ago" I've asked about a strap myself in this thread, and after careful consideration and many suggestions, I ended up getting the R Strap and have been satisfied with my decision.

There are many like it, and none of them are perfect, but this one works for me.

As far as backpack is concern, I will echo UnknownSouljer's words at suggest looking at ThinkTank products. I own a bunch of their stuff, and have been very happy with each and every one of them.

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

I have been reading about the Lowepro 202AW sling bag. From the reviews I have read, I think it will be suitable for easy day hikes. I want something that will swing around easily for a quick lens change, has good protection/padding, and won't break the bank. Have a newborn on the way, wife is quitting work, expenses up/income down is a bad combo.

Still haven't made up my mind on the strap. Not sure the R strap is what I want. I may pop into my local camera store (even though it is in the part of town with the most traffic, ugh) and try a few on for size.
I like the C loops listed in the other thread, that looks like a good idea.

I use the LowePro Nova 170 AW. $43 right now if you have Amazon Prime.

I take exactly the same equipment as you, except Canon versions, and it all fits. Body, cheap telephoto, standard zoom, and ultra wide zoom. In addition, it has pockets for all your memory cards, spare batteries, charger, dust blower, manual, and even has a rain cover. My last big trip I swapped my telephoto lens and instead crammed my gopro, several mounts, and a head strap mount in there too, plus a 50mm prime in one of the outside elastic pouches; it was VERY full with that extra stuff.

Really all you'll need for an excursion can fit in that bag, and even if it breaks in 5 years, you can't beat the $43 price (but I've had mine for 6 years now and it's still going strong, no issues). I like the bag, but I also agree with everyone else that it's kind of a personal decision. Go to a local camera store if you have one and try them out. Good luck and have fun.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back