Remember in 2015 we will turn it around... #nopreorders

Ducman69

[H]F Junkie
WGkuXpY.png

If you have one New Years resolution, make it this.

Spread the word. #nopreorders

So if I preordered Bloodborne what is going to happen. you talking about incomplete games?

Certainly something like this shouldn't get support:

http://evolvegame.com/agegate

The fourth Monster is free if you pre-order OR pre-purchase!

We can’t drive this part home enough: If you are planning to buy the game, but are skittish about pre-purchase, don’t be. As soon as the clock strikes midnight on 2/10/15, the FREE Monster Expansion Pack bonus goes away and it will run you over $14.99 to buy Behemoth, the fourth Monster, and the Savage Goliath skin after the fact. Think of it as us buying the first round for you. As a thank you.

A few points here:

1.) The alpha underwhelmed me in a major way but even if the game was super awesome this would turn me off.

I think this reeks of desperation.

2.) Day one DLC that is free if you pre-order, $15 if you don't.

$15 gets you one monster character and one skin. Big whoop.

This sort of setup and the growing trend of microtransactions (Ubisoft) absolutely needs to be put under a harsh spotlight.

So if I preordered Bloodborne what is going to happen. you talking about incomplete games?
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem! ;)

Pre-orders are to blame for much of the current state of the gaming industry, where many games are delivered incomplete, greater sums of money are spent on marketing to hype the game than fixing the bugs, are the reason there are so many gag orders these days where we don't even see gameplay footage until after release harming reviews to keep us informed, and are also surely one of the big problems for why there's so much DLC abuse to further nickle and dime the community.
If you pre-ordered Aliens: Colonial Marines or SimCity, to take the two most recent examples, you’re in a tough position. You’ve already paid, to make sure you got your more expensive version of the game, with that extra DLC or presentation metal box. And when that game turns out to be a massive pile of dung, or it simply doesn’t work as promised, you’re screwed. With the difficulty of returning digitally purchased products, and the complete lack of a desire to lose the trinkets you’d pre-ordered for in the first place, it’s a horrible position to be put in. Some will, of course, go on the defensive – it’s a very well known phenomenon that those who have invested are far more likely to want to fight for their purchase to have been worthwhile. Most, however, will feel cheated, gutted, or embarrassed. None of these are good places to be.

But say the game was great – what is gained? Well, those trinkets, and the same discount that’s likely to be running through week one of its being on sale anyway. I want to argue that those trinkets aren’t worth it. And indeed were everyone to recognise at once that pre-ordering is a con by publishers, that offers no one any real advantages, we’d soon find the baubles and bonuses would appear as optional released versions of the game.

From the publishers’ perspective, this is a brutal argument. They’ve redesigned how they fund projects, how they expect their revenue streams to appear in their accounts, around a pre-ordering model. There’s a reason they push so hard, and so loudly, with their dozen different ways to buy Assassin’s Duty VII, with the Uber Digital Supreme Deluxe version containing one more novelty playing card than the Ultra Digital Deluxe Surpreme version, although lacking the replica stab victim figurine in the Supreme Ultra Uber Deluxe boxed version, only available in GameStop if you pre-order on Amazon. But it’s a reason that is entirely benefiting them, and not benefiting gamers.

Continued...
And just look at the CoD Pre-order bonuses... we can stop this!

http://evolvegame.com/agegate

I was considering pre-ordering this game awhile back, but now, especially after this DLC nonsense...they can go fuck themselves.

Screw pre-ordering games. I have plenty of games I can play right now, and then buy these other games later when they go on sale.

Yup, and its great we are buying games, but with all of these botched releases where people can't even login to the game (and offline play isn't possible with the DRM implemented), there's no good reason to throw money in the pot completely blind.

Let them develop the game, release it to reviewers, take a look at it and see how it plays, and then if the released product is great... FANTASTIC! Go plunk down your money. A week or two longer wait isn't going to kill us. :)

+1

I have already been doing this for most games I buy. Wait a few months and enjoy a fully patched game and sometimes save a few bucks.

I'm getting Evolve. Just not pre-ordering. I put blinders on DLC a long time ago. I quickly learn I’m not missing much and enjoy gaming much more nowadays.

I've been preaching this for a while now. Happy to see this thread. Y'all that aren't on board, time to wise up. Look at the impact this has on our hobby.

I don't pre-order unless there is a good cost-incentive on a game I absolutely know I'll be picking up. You won't catch me pre-ordering things from Ubisoft though, or anything like that.

If Doom 4 comes out this year, I will pre-order it though. Sorry, but I buy all things id, even if id isn't quite the same id as before. Fanguy? Maybe. Haven't been disappointed yet though with one of their games, and I have everything they have made or licensed out to places like Raven or Machine Games, etc.

+1

I have already been doing this for most games I buy. Wait a few months and enjoy a fully patched game and sometimes save a few bucks.

Same. It also allows me to get a better idea of how good the game actually is by getting actual gamer feedback, especially after the hype of it's release has subsided.

It's a business but a lot of companies don't realize times have changed since 2006 games are digital now it's a whole new ballgame but the console kiddies are caught in 2006 which is what the game companies are trying to pander to.

I'm more or less on boat. Only game i've pre ordered in a long time is the new Witcher. And that's really only because I like how the company operates.

When I see something like this, I'll just wait for the GOTY to go on sale. Withholding content from anyone who doesn't preorder just isn't right, anyone who doesn't preorder might as well not buy the game if they are not going to get the complete copy of it.

Evolve = 2015's Titanfall.

But yeah, no pre-orders from me. GTA5 and Arkham Knight are the only games that will be first day purchases, though, nothing else really seems interesting.

Evolve = 2015's Titanfall.

But yeah, no pre-orders from me. GTA5 and Arkham Knight are the only games that will be first day purchases, though, nothing else really seems interesting.

As much as I love the Batman games, just about every one has had some preorder DLC.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/23/5929263/batman-arkham-knight-dlc-red-hood-story-mission

GameStop confirmed today that pre-orders for Batman: Arkham Knight through the retailer will receive the exclusive Red Hood story mission in which they can play as the red-capped vigilante.

I make preorders very infrequently these days (maybe 1 a year at most) ... as long as we can separate Early Access and Kickstarter from preorders ... I consider both of those options as voting with my wallet for genres or games I feel are under represented and not preordering (there is more risk of doing it that way but more upside if the project is successful)

I generally agree but as I said in the Resident Evil thread..

I'm usually at the forefront of the anti-pre-order movement but a lot of the pre-order stuff I'm against revolves around the $60 pricetag for unknowable falsely advertised content with a slew of DLC walled off. In this case I'm ok with saving $5 on a game I already own on gamecube. It's just gonna be another crappy capcom port, but this time its only $15.

No real smoke and mirrors here. Resident evil rebirth on PC /fin

I actually disagree with the "sale in a few weeks". This is crapcom. If you watch steam their cheap ports never go sale only full releases like Revelations or RE6 do. This might be at low $10 in a month or two briefly or show up in a big steam sale, but I wanna play it now.

I don't even buy new games that much honestly. Resident Evil is just a little guilty pleasure of mine.

I was led to believe Evolve was built for competitive like CSGO or DOTA2 but the walled off DLC class means its probably shit.

As long as the reviews are good I'll be buying bloodborne. Thats it.

Last edited:
doesn't apply to all games...most games I won't pre-order but games I truly love I will...anything Dark Souls related, Witcher, Half Life, Fallout, Elder Scrolls...I know I will get tons of hours of enjoyment and have never been disappointed...also certain games like the Rocksteady Arkham series and interesting new ip's like The Division have my attention

regularly pre-ordering is an issue but picking and choosing 1-2 games a year is fine...plus with so many Nvidia/AMD bundled games available for cheap on forums on release day it's a great deal...I bought Alien Isolation, BioShock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Watch Dogs and a whole bunch of other games for relatively cheap on Day 1 because of game codes for sale on [H]

The Division = Ubisoft = no way in hell I'd pre-order.

I think if I were in some sort of Saw puzzle trap and I had to choose between giving Ubisoft my money and having all my fingers chopped off it would still be a difficult choice.

If we stop pre-ordering, maybe they'll bring back shareware... that would rock!

Cancel my preorders and lose all the goodies i've had the past year for Witcher 3 ,Mortal Kombat X, Evolve, GTA 5 and Resident Evil HD so you try to prove a internetz fueled reddit spammed point?

Don't fucking think so.

The Division = Ubisoft = no way in hell I'd pre-order.

Game looks excellent. But, they build the hype machine and make tons on pre-orders, then the reviews come out and it's shit. They already got paid. Paid DLC later that fixes some of the game play flaws. More money.

I stopped pre-ordering a while ago. Too many times when I got a game and it was shit. Either couldn't play or it was just a shit game.

DLC? I can see it at times. Other times (pay for it, and it installs instantly because it WAS ON THE FUCKING DISC TO BEGIN WITH!?! Fuck that), no way.

I'll continue on my no-preorder mission. One good thing about it - I haven't been disappointed in games lately! :) Glad to see this stuff getting some major attention this past year enough to where it's making a difference.

I can't cancel my Pillars of Eternity Steam purchase game comes out in two months I'm sure it's going to be good.

You have my word, brother. I fully understand the situation, and I'm prepared to do my part. I haven't preordered a game since gw2 release and I'm not about to start now

Long live the pc master race!

No thanks. I'll continue to pre-order when I feel it's worth doing. Then again I'm not the type of person that will look at a game and go "ooh shiny" then pre-order right away. I do my research on the developer involved, get a bunch of info on the game itself, and wait for a good pre-order deal to pop up. Pre-ordering in general is not the problem, the problem is people blindly pre-order games and not watching for big warning signs. I see a lot of people use Colonial Marines as this big example of why not to pre-order, but quite frankly that game had tons of warning signs going in. Same with AC Unity.

If its EA or UBISOFT made, its pretty much a no brainer on how it will turn out at launch.

Game looks excellent. But, they build the hype machine and make tons on pre-orders, then the reviews come out and it's shit. They already got paid. Paid DLC later that fixes some of the game play flaws. More money.

Yep. A lot of games have looked excellent...and then upon release we got a product that was either unfinished, extremely buggy, or flat-out different than what was advertised.

Not saying The Division will be shit...I agree with you that it looks awesome. But I've been burned enough times by Ubisoft and otherwise to know better than to give them my money before I see the product.

For this generation, a fool and his money are so easily parted and the companies know this.

Sadly, I dont expect it to change much. People would have to be willing to go without the trinkets they dangle in front of you to get you to preorder, and no one wants to be "that guy" among his buddies that doesnt have the "<insert trivial trinket thing here>".

For this generation, a fool and his money are so easily parted and the companies know this.

Sadly, I dont expect it to change much. People would have to be willing to go without the trinkets they dangle in front of you to get you to preorder, and no one wants to be "that guy" among his buddies that doesnt have the "<insert trivial trinket thing here>".

Exactly. Otherwise known as voting with your wallet. If the masses were capable of this the country and economy would be in a completely different position.

I've been burned before and I only started pc gaming in 2012. There's so many games I have to catch up on still that I can put these games off until they are patched.

I have never understood pre-orders. Simcity is the only pre-order I have ever done, that was just because I knew they wouldn't have it release day otherwise. So yeah, I was pissed! DLC is something I dont get either. If it is a new couple new tracks(racing games) or entire game changing DLC like BFBC2 Vietnam, then yeah, I understand. But when the DLC is a character or skin pack?? Or new livery, big deal. Just like in -app purchases are ruining apps, DLC as a whole has ruined gaming. At least there are options for in-apps (iOS anyway) . You can have your "Appcake" and eat it too! Without going "IapCrazy"!;):cool:

Id love to stand with y'all but Arkham Knight is likely going to be at least a day buy for me and maybe even a pre-order. That is the only one I want enough to buy day 1 this year though.

Cancel my preorders and lose all the goodies i've had the past year for Witcher 3 ,Mortal Kombat X, Evolve, GTA 5 and Resident Evil HD so you try to prove a internetz fueled reddit spammed point?

Don't fucking think so.

I bet you walk into gamestop, throw a bucket of Vaseline on the counter, and bend over!:roll eyes:

yeah, i know, shouldn't feed the troll.

I bet you walk into gamestop, throw a bucket of Vaseline on the counter, and bend over!:roll eyes:
My summer camp counselor told me that if you accept the goodies like a lollipop or fun size snicker's bar after that it doesn't really count as molestation anymore and I should be thankful and not complain to anyone. :( #goodiesequalsconsenttorape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5Uj4XIT1Y
pre3.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGX2WE4QUw8

That is why you dont pre-order! Enough with the BS marketing and hype trains!

I find it funny how all them pre-order bonuses I can pick up on Steam Sales later on. So much for that eh?

That was my last pre-order I'd literally been following it for like 5 years. Because of the embargos there was 1 very vague review out that said it had issues I think. I remember sitting down and just going WTF when it unlocked on steam. thank god for GMG I only got burned for $28. I actually feel more bad for people that bought homefront at $60. Good game but it was like 2 hours long. Anyone thats played it knows thats not an exaggeration Portal was longer.

I don't mind kicking in a few bucks for certain kickstarters. I don't do early access. I don't think I've heard one goddamn good experience with those except for weird masochist that enjoy being in a forever Beta.

It definitely is all pricetag for me though if I get burned buying a $20 oh well thats on me, but I'm a miser so thats rare. It's the $60 craziness and pre-orders I think people are downright insane for doing.

Hilariously I randomly won the stupid Gearbox Duke nukem contest. I posted it on here they sent me a ton of swag, but I never bought the game. I felt bad until I saw the reviews. poor fukers.

Last edited:

I have zero interest in trinkets. I mostly wait on games until they're out for a bit anyway, because I'm usually not in a rush to get anything. However, there are games that I do want on day one, and if I can get a decent 15-20% discount with a late pre-order on a game that I know I'm going to like, then it's worth it to me. I don't know if I have some uncanny super-power or what, but I haven't been burned on a pre-order yet. Granted, I don't do it a lot, but if I think I'm going to like a game, 100% of the time so far, I have liked the game. Not sure what's so hard about knowing who you're buying a game from, and deciding based on their past performance, what you know of the current game, intelligently deciding whether the pre-order discount is worth it, and then either buying it or not based on that. It's not hard actually. I do it as little as possible, but sometimes I just want a game now, and it doesn't take much effort to decide if it's going to suck, come out totally broken, if the company habitually burns people, etc. etc.

Rather than blanket statements, how about everyone just uses their head, does a little due diligence, and makes an informed decision for themselves?

Most of the big offenders could be seen from miles away. Everyone knew the graphical fidelity in Watch Dogs was decreased before release. Everyone knew Aliens Colonial Marines was going down the tubes months in advance. There were hints that AC wasn't going to turn out the way people wanted. From my experience, pre-orders run right up to when the game gets released give or take a few days. If you REALLY want something that the pre-order gets you whether it be a discount, some must-have toy, book, or other bauble, then wait as long as possible, right up to the end of the pre-order, and check in on previews, general buzz, current company reputation, and make the decision.

Back