Could my PSU be causing this?

Operaghost

[H]ard|Gawd
So to make a long story short...

For over a year now I've noticed this squeeling sound coming from what I thought was my graphics card. For just as long I've had intermittent graphics lock ups, MOSTLY when I try to log into windows, but also on occasion when I'm gaming. To describe the lockup, most of the screen goes black but lines and shapes of whatever image was on the screen leaves a pixelated outline kind of.

So, today I took a real real close listen for multiple instances of this squeeling sound, and what I discovered is that it sounds like it is coming from my PSU and NOT the GPU.

So a few questions:

1. If my PSU is the problem and its been giving the card to much/too little power. Are the odds that my graphics card is damaged now?

2. Is there a way I could test to confirm or eliminate the PSU as the source without a voltmeter or a spare PSU? (looking into borrowing a friends PSU to test)

3. If I find the PSU IS the problem and needs replacing, what kind of wattage PSU would be recommended for the rig in my sig? If I plan to upgrade my graphics card soon to say a 570 or 580.

1. If my PSU is the problem and its been giving the card to much/too little power. Are the odds that my graphics card is damaged now?
There is a chance of damage yes. Also a chance of damage to the other parts in the PC.
2. Is there a way I could test to confirm or eliminate the PSU as the source without a voltmeter or a spare PSU? (looking into borrowing a friends PSU to test)
Swap video cards.
3. If I find the PSU IS the problem and needs replacing, what kind of wattage PSU would be recommended for the rig in my sig? If I plan to upgrade my graphics card soon to say a 570 or 580.
A good 650W PSU will be more than enough. Something like the Corsair 650TX V2 for a budget option.

I don't have any spare parts to swap for troubleshooting.

I hope it hasn't damaged my other components...

I've blown up three power supplies over the years, in one case quite literally!

I havnt lost anything else, equipment wise, when it happened, though I agree it is very possible.

Usually a high pitched whine from the PSU, or so I have read, is bad.

As for spare parts, check out TigerDirect, Frys, microcenter and Newegg online. They have all been very aggressive with sales the last few months.

I saw an ad for a low end GTX 200 series for 14.99 a couple days ago. If you shop around you can find a back up/spare card for not to much. If nothing else you can use it to run a 2cd, monitor without using vram from the primary or even a 3rd/4th if you wish.

Are modular PSU's reliable these days?
I had one early on from I think antec, and it crapped on me after like a year.

Are modulars more expensive compared to comparable normally wired units?
Do certain name brands have better reliability?

I'm looking at corsair and seasonic. The seasonics look to be a bit cheaper.

I'm looking at corsair and seasonic. The seasonics look to be a bit cheaper.

Most Corsairs are rebadged Seasonic units...many PSU labels rebadge their units.

They're exactly like regular PSUs. Which means that there are both unreliable and reliable modular PSUs out there. You just gotta do your research as to which PSU (modular or non-modular) has a lesser chance of causing issues.

Probably just bad luck. That would have happened even if you chose a regular PSU.

Generally yes by about $20 to $30.
You can't judge based on brand alone as some PSUs brands have brands/model lines that are either of questionable quality, overpriced, or just not a good buy. Even Corsair has a few PSU lines that I would consider "not good buys" (though that's mainly due to price tbh). So you gotta look at individual units or at the very least, the model line.

Seasonic X750 for $110 at Newegg right now. I highly suggest you jump on that, even though you don't need the wattage. Best bang for buck power supply at the moment, if you can afford it.

Seasonic X750 for $110 at Newegg right now. I highly suggest you jump on that, even though you don't need the wattage. Best bang for buck power supply at the moment, if you can afford it.

I concur.

Well I tested last night with a brand new PSU.

I was wrong, it wasn't the PSU squeeling and whining. It was the GPU.

So returned the PSU and in the market for a new graphics solution!

Yes, coil whine can occur on any piece of equipment, including motherboards and graphics cards.

Back