R7000 wifi issue

SomeGuy133

2[H]4U
Alright so all the wifi devices i currently have running ATM are android devices. All my android devices can connect to 5GHz but can't connect to the 2.4GHz. Everytime they try to gain an IP it fails. I looked at the router and it says android device is connected but my android devices never can get an IP from 2.4GHz but they can off 5GHz.

Any ideas?

My settings seem fine so I am a bit confused. I also tried power cycling the android device to see if it had some weird cache issue.

The answer is almost always a factory reset. Almost always.

That being said, I used to run separate SSID's for my 5ghz vs. 2.4ghz channels on my R7000...but I have since merged them and reliably have a better connection without ever having to think about it.

The answer is almost always a factory reset. Almost always.

That being said, I used to run separate SSID's for my 5ghz vs. 2.4ghz channels on my R7000...but I have since merged them and reliably have a better connection without ever having to think about it.

using that smart connection feature?

Factory reset on what the router? or android?

Factory reset of router.

Yes I'm using the smart connect feature. It's been working great for months

Alright so all the wifi devices i currently have running ATM are android devices. All my android devices can connect to 5GHz but can't connect to the 2.4GHz. Everytime they try to gain an IP it fails. I looked at the router and it says android device is connected but my android devices never can get an IP from 2.4GHz but they can off 5GHz.

Any ideas?

My settings seem fine so I am a bit confused. I also tried power cycling the android device to see if it had some weird cache issue.

Did you recently update to the R7000's 1.0.6.28 firmware? If so, downgrade. The 1.0.5 and 1.0.6 series firmwares are disasters right now. Downgrade back to 1.0.4.30. It has many known issues, including disappearing 2.4ghz networks and failure to connect to the same. As soon as I saw the thread title, I clicked it expecting to see an issue about the 2.4ghz band.

Did you recently update to the R7000's 1.0.6.28 firmware? If so, downgrade. The 1.0.5 and 1.0.6 series firmwares are disasters right now. Downgrade back to 1.0.4.30. It has many known issues, including disappearing 2.4ghz networks and failure to connect to the same. As soon as I saw the thread title, I clicked it expecting to see an issue about the 2.4ghz band.

zooterkins...why cant they just revoke bad firmware...i hate networking sard....

Yea i updated firmware already....how do i downgrade?

BTW first thing i did was upgrade the firmware. Is there any place that reports on firmware so i know what is good and not?

Yea i updated firmware already....how do i downgrade?

Go here and search for R7000. Your product firmwares should come up. Download 1.0.4.30. Extract from the ZIP file.
http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/

From there, type 192.168.1.1 into your browser's search/URL bar. You'll get a prompt for a username/password. If you didn't change the defaults, the username is "admin" and the password is "password" without the quotes.

Click the advanced tab, then on the left the "Administration" tab, followed by Router Update. Click browse to find your downloaded file (after extracting from the ZIP), then upload. Let it do its thing.

When the update is complete, do a factory reset (paperclip, small hole in back of router near left antenna, hold for 30 seconds, release, watch for flashing lights).

Is there any place that reports on firmware so i know what is good and not?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

Go here and search for R7000. Your product firmwares should come up. Download 1.0.4.30. Extract from the ZIP file.
http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/

From there, type 192.168.1.1 into your browser's search/URL bar. You'll get a prompt for a username/password. If you didn't change the defaults, the username is "admin" and the password is "password" without the quotes.

Click the advanced tab, then on the left the "Administration" tab, followed by Router Update. Click browse to find your downloaded file (after extracting from the ZIP), then upload. Let it do its thing.

When the update is complete, do a factory reset (paperclip, small hole in back of router near left antenna, hold for 30 seconds, release, watch for flashing lights).

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

doesn't factory reset just wipe the firmware update i just added?

I will 1000% agree with this recommendation to stay on the 1.04 firmware.

I experienced numerous WIFI issues especially with my Iphones on the newer firmwares. I almost bought a new router - very unhappy!

But I found this post, and downgraded my firmware - it is snappy as ever!!

I experienced numerous WIFI issues especially with my Iphones on the newer firmwares. I almost bought a new router - very unhappy!

i was about to downgrade but it started working just fine. I think it just needed to power cycle but i am keeping an eye on it. I am also debating on turning 2.4GHz off all together. My neighborhood is crowded because of these damn comcast modems. I need to go to my neighbors and have them turn off xfinity wifi to clear up the air waves.

I have 2 extra WNDR 3700s so i plan on placing those around the house using 5GHz and make my house 5GHz only. That way i can reduce 2.4GHz over crowding and have great wifi coverage :D

Kinda sucks that 2.4GHz is crowded...the R7000 range is nuts! its 20db better than my WNDR 3700 and even in a worse location! The 5GHz is actually better then what my 2.4GHx on the WNDR 3700 lawls

Almost want to get 1-2 more R7000s but i dont want to spend that kind of cash when i got 2 other router/APs laying around

I would say go ahead and downgrade.

I fought this for a long time. I would reboot the router and it would seem to work ok for a couple days. I'm not looking back on the newer firmwares.

I would say go ahead and downgrade.

I fought this for a long time. I would reboot the router and it would seem to work ok for a couple days. I'm not looking back on the newer firmwares.

yea i getcha. I will if i notice one issue again but if i dont i'll stick with it. My current wifi issue is a device related and its irritating but i rarely use wifi so i am not overly concerned.

Also the R7000 N speed on 2.4G is crazy fast.

I agree with this. I'm glad I found this post. I downgraded the firmware and the R7000 is back to its snappy self!

Everything just works so much better on the 1.04 firmware. Wow Netgear SCREWED up royally on the last few versions. Back to loving my Nighthawk.

Back