Getting hard to resist -- MSI Ghost Pro60 w 870M - $1483 after rebates

collegeboy69us

Supreme [H]ardness
So I'm in the market for a light portable gaming laptop - and this is the one I want (badly).

With the 900M chip right around the corner though I don't know if I should pull the trigger. I heard the chips themselves should be out sometime in Oct - however it would probably be till November or later till we see the laptops by major players showing up (MSI/Gigabyte/etc) right?

The price of the Ghost series is dropping like a rock - it was on sale on the egg last week with a 7% off code, now they are offering 12% off (I get an additonal 1.5% through my CC)

Bitchin deal it seems - while I can wait for the next gen laptops, my biggest fear is that the 970M chip, anything in a 15.6" form will be 1700-2000 minimum. (way outta my price range)

Doesn't help that the $100 rebate they are offering... has to be post marked within 15 days (kinda hard to swing since I'm 1200 miles away from home and no chance to go home anytime soon (remote oil rig work) I'd hate to leave a free $100 on the table.

Right now I want to buy -- but there's a part of me that's saying wait another 2 weeks or so and there might be an even better deal out there. (and an easier chance for me to go home in 1/2 a month)

"they" are saying that the 970M should have 30% more performance, which would be great IF I could score it at a reasonable price ($1500-1600) which seems doubtful during the first few months.

If you're referring to the leaked 3dmark scores, the 970m scores 30% (well 29%) higher in Firestrike than the 870m however this is actually a 58% performance increase. Basically if it were to translate into FPS term, you'd go from 30 -> 47.4.

GM204 is also stated to have feature set improvements.

Generally new generation GPUs have slotted into the same price range of predecessors. For example the Gigabyte p34g v1 (760m) was replaced by the p34g v2 (860m) at the exact same price.

Supposedly they'll have shipping laptops in mid October in China.

Waiting until Friday for GM204 announcement, and possibly NDA lift/detailed information, is probably a good idea if you want to make a more informed decision.

You're also headed into the competitive holiday shopping season the US starting with Black Friday. So there is added motivation from both manufacturer and retailers to get desirable products out at competitive prices.

I found this out a little late, having pulled the trigger on a gt70 two weeks ago. I must say, the super raid, with 3 256GB msata drives makes for some awesome load speed.

I'm hoping for some info on the 970M here soon, I'm itching to buy and either want the new generation, or super crazy discounts on the 870M's

Kinda kicking myself i didn't jump on the MSI ghost for $14XX earlier this week, timing sucks because the 100 mail in rebate that makes it super worth it... i wouldn't be able to claim it in time (at work in a remote part of the country for a while can't have it shipped here)

I love my GT60 2OD 3K and I can say that I will be getting another MSI notebook down the line, as I am wanting to get the GS30 :D. I hope that you can get what you want soon :)

I hope you are not seriously considering the dock along with it because that is about the dumbest thing ever. At that point you are better off just building a mini itx system and getting a dedicated ultrabook.

Back