Which CPU next for me?

JHefile

Necrophilia Makes Me [H]ard
What's up fellas. I run a 6 core Phenom 2 , well it's actually a 4 core unlocked to a 6, with a full size MB. I'm looking to scale it down to a micro MB so I can have a smaller case.

AMD has so many sockets now. I just started to freshen up after being out awhile so I am wondering which socket you suggest.

I'm not sure if AM3+ is viable or if I should go FM2+. I got a 760 gforce so I am not interested in onboard video.

Which socket is the better path now?

I am a gamer and use my gtx 760. I need it to be faster than my current cpu 3.2oc phenom2.

I game at 1080p- nothing higher.

The only thing I'd look at is maybe an i5 4670k and a Z87 mATX board.

If you're looking to stick with AMD, I guess it makes more sense to go with a FM2+ board at this point.

Are you going to be overclocking? If so get a FX-8350. Your X6 is still a very good gaming chip honestly especially if it's a good overclocker. Clock for clock the X6 is faster than a 8300 but the FX chips can overclock higher and at around 300 MHz more the FX becomes faster. I used to have a X6 that would do 3.9 and when I got my 8150 I ran a few benchmarks and it wasn't til my 8150 got to 4.3 that it was faster than the X6. The new Piledriver chips are around 10% faster clock for clock than my Bulldozer 8150 so you won't need quite as much boost.

If you're gonna go that route you'll need a stout motherboard because FX chips can really suck down the wattage. There really aren't any good microATX AM3+ motherboards out there so you'd need to stick with a standard ATX size board.

Intel has several mATX boards that would work and a i5-4670K is only $30 more than a FX-8350 and it would be a significant performance upgrade even without overclocking. The Asus Maximus VI would be an outstanding mATX board and runs around $200.

if you were buying right now then i5 4670k + Z87 board.

If you are buying soon, then one of the new I5-4690k about to be released, and Z97 board.

If you wish to stick with AMD then a FM2+ board and a A10-7850k.

The only true upgrades to your setup would be a 4770k, or a 4790k (out soon), or a AMD FX 8350 or higher. The 4670k is a solid upgrade over the 6 core. The 8350 would give you better performance (vs the 6 core phenom) all around, but uses more power than the I5 and is pretty equal in mutithread. Anything less is going to be a side grade at best.

Last edited:
Back